Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling an i7 option?

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2009 5:56:25 AM

Well, Im looking to buy a i7 920 and was wondering if they had any decent watercooling systems for this Proc yet.

It will be my first time doing a WC and so Im wanting to get as much info as I can. I've a few basic "Watercooling 101" guides and I assume the rest is really just trial and error.

However, I was wanting to hear some pro's and cons as well and I figured this would be the place to get em.

So. Can someone spin me and point me in the right direction?

Few generalized questions.

1) Will watercooling be more stable once it is up and running.

2) Does the i7 have a block yet.

3) Do the 4800's or 295's have a watercooling block yet.

4) How much of a cost increase am I looking at by trying to go watercooling.

More about : water cooling option

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2009 8:15:04 AM

1) No, water cooling would not make your system more stable, except perhaps in extreme overclocking situations. The right parts are your best guarantee for a stable system.

2) Certainly. Frozencpu is a good place to shop for stuff like that.

3) Yes to the 4800s, not sure about the GTX 295s... See the link above.

4) That would depend. Perhaps $300.00.

There is a guide over in the coolers and heatsinks forum
January 26, 2009 8:24:07 AM

Danger den will have the 295 blocks in a few weeks. I am into my water cooling system about 600.00...but I have the largest radiator and eheim pump and two vid cards and cpu...you can do it a for a lot less.
Stable dont know...it will run cooler. I have the i7 block and 4870x2s. I am just trying to keep the temps down. I have done two other systems with water..one with 6600 and two 8800gtx. It runs very cool.
Lazduc
Related resources
January 26, 2009 8:27:27 AM

Proximon. Much appreciated.

Luzduc, appreciate the info on danger den.
January 26, 2009 1:16:33 PM

Water cooling i7 doesnt yield any more stability, nor does it yield much higher OCs then good air. Good air cost about $70 and water will run you between $300-$500+

Mine is running 24/7 @ 3.6 with stock cooler.
January 26, 2009 1:22:58 PM

I assume you are talking about a i7 920? If so, thats awesome and if they are that reliable at that kind of speeds. Then I will most likely be using air as well.
January 26, 2009 7:48:08 PM

what about the coolit domino, it's got a review over at www.guru3d.com and it's only like $80.
January 26, 2009 11:55:04 PM

Watercooling is not for the $$$ faint of heart. Trial and error is absolutely the worst method to use when using watercooling as it only takes one error to ruin thousands of dollars of equipment.

No air system can touch the ability of a properly designed and functioning water cooling system.

Another benefit is the quietness of a properly designed water cooling system as compared to having a bunch of fans on the system. I have an "old system" with a 2.66 Penryn water cooled. The system is darn near completely silent. I thought I would try air cooling on my new build, and to be fair it doesn't run very hot on my i7 920 OC'd to 3.6, but I feel like I'm sitting next to a hair dryer after using my water cooled system.

So I ordered a Danger Den acrylic case and the matching system for the case. About $550 total. This way I know I've got a WC system that is designed to be used in conjunction with the case I have. I also bought a MOSFET block and a chipset block so I can cool those without worrying about having air blowing on them.
I will also soon buy water blocks for my GTX 260's, as they are a large portion of the fan noise.

Don't skimp on the system or you will get sub par cooling and none of the benefits of a good water cooling system. Run the system for at least 8 hrs. without the comp powered up to check for leaks. If you don't know how to do that they sell a nifty little adapter at Danger Den.

Good luck.
!