Automatic Update

Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see the
modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set the
windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
things start to upload/download.

Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know where
it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus scan.
Just in case...Dennis
5 answers Last reply
More about automatic update

    I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed the
    latest security fixes.

    When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time were
    the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when auto
    update is doing something...Dennis

    "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see
    the
    > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
    > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set
    the
    > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
    > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
    > things start to upload/download.
    >
    > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
    > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
    where
    > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
    scan.
    > Just in case...Dennis

    To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
    Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to the
    Internet.

    --
    Please reply in newsgroup.

    > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
    the
    > latest security fixes.
    >
    > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time were
    > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
    auto
    > update is doing something...Dennis
    >
    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see
    > the
    > > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
    > > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set
    > the
    > > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
    > > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
    > > things start to upload/download.
    > >
    > > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
    > > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
    > where
    > > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
    > scan.
    > > Just in case...Dennis

    Thanks...Dennis

    "Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
    > Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to
    the
    > Internet.
    >
    > --
    > Please reply in newsgroup.

    rights.

    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
    > the
    > > latest security fixes.
    > >
    > > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time
    were
    > > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
    > auto
    > > update is doing something...Dennis
    > >
    > > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I
    see
    > > the
    > > > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
    > > > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and
    set
    > > the
    > > > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
    > > > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
    > > > things start to upload/download.
    > > >
    > > > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from
    the
    > > > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
    > > where
    > > > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
    > > scan.
    > > > Just in case...Dennis

    You may want to type

    netstat -a -o

    then

    tasklist /fi "PID eq nnn"
    (where nnn is the PID returned by netstat)

    http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
    "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:ezzfqJGLEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks...Dennis
    >
    > "Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
    > > Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to
    > the
    > > Internet.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please reply in newsgroup.

    > rights.
    > >

    > > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > > > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
    > > the
    > > > latest security fixes.
    > > >
    > > > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time
    > were
    > > > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
    > > auto
    > > > update is doing something...Dennis
    > > >
    > > > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > see
    > > > the
    > set
    > > > the

    > the
    > > > where
    > > > scan.

    It does show if you ask it to. In Control Panel - System - Auto Update you can set options

    "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:%23NAIKQ0KEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed the
    > latest security fixes.
    >
    > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time were
    > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when auto
    > update is doing something...Dennis
    >
    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see
    > the
    > > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
    > > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set
    > the
    > > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
    > > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
    > > things start to upload/download.
    > >
    > > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
    > > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
    > where
    > > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
    > scan.
    > > Just in case...Dennis

Configuration Windows XP