Overclocking Pros & Cons

Bo-Jwaise

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Ok this Saturday, I will start building my system, but the question is I am going to OC my i7-930 to 3.8GHz, is it safe freq or is it extreme ??
because he told me my warranty will drop drop 3 years to 1 year knowing the following

MOBO: Rampage III Extreme
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Case: ARMOR+
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2GB 8-8-8-24
VGA: Sapphire HD 5970 2GB
should I go for OC or stick with stock ? I know by doing so, my CPU will bottleneck my VGA greatly, but I don't want to mess up my PC "CPU", if you have any suggestion please say.

another thing, if by any chance OCing messed up what is the worst case happening ? CPU dead? if so it is ok, but can it effect my other components ?
sometimes I say 2.8 GHz enough man to run Final Fantasy XIV @ full settings + constant 60FPS u, u think :whistle: ?

Overclocking will void your warranty not decrease it. As long as you keep an eye on your temps and don't go mad with the voltage you shouldn't kill anything and if you do it should only be the processor but it may be possible to kill the board. I doubt the processor is a huge bottleneck for the 5970 and I have no idea about th final fantasy question

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
By the sound of it, you might want to get a less Extreme motherboard and save a good deal of money.

For an overclock of ~3.6 I would go with a Cooler Master 212 Plus (expensive on Newegg currently, get it elsewhere) or a Scythe Mugen SCMG-2100.
Do you really need that hefty a PSU?

You should see no great bottleneck with that CPU and GPU setup.

For Final Fantasy XIV you should be able to run it well even at stock settings from what I have been able find, overclocking seems to have a larger impact when running low res, when high res the workload is shifted to the GPU, that is not to say an overclock wont make it perform better though.