Sign in with
Your question

Help, new computer will not boot!

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2009 10:16:38 AM

Please could I get some expert help!

I have just purchased 4 new parts to upgrade my computer. I am however having major problems with booting my computer. What has happened is the following:

I put all parts together and booted the computer (Using Vista Ultimate). It all seemed fine and I could install everything and I also upgraded all drivers from the manufacturer's homepage. However, when I later turned off the computer it would not start again. (Rebooting during install was fine and worked perfectly)
I then played around a little to check that everything was connected as it should but it would not start for five tries until all of a sudden it did on the sixth attempt. Thinking I had fixed it I did not think much about it anymore. I even rebooted the computer at a later stage and that worked fine.
NOW however when the computer has been turned off over the night it just will not start again. The screen does not seem to get a signal. The chassis speaker does not make a sound. Everything seems to get power though; the motherboard light is on, the HDD seems to be running. All fans are on etc. I have not changed any of the jumpers from its original positions.

What could be the problem? (I cannot think of anything but then again I am not an expert)

Below is a list of all the parts.

New purchase:

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,
Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3,
PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDMI/HDCP

Asus P5QL PRO, P43, Socket-775, DDR2,
ATX, GbLAN, ICH10, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16

Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz, Socket
LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz, BOXED m/fläkt

Old parts:
Power - ACE Raw Deal 520W

HDD Maxtor. DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB ATA/133 HDD

Any help would be very much appreciated!

More about : computer boot

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2009 10:38:49 AM

You should lose the cheap PSU. That would be my first recommendation... Power to the board does not mean it's the proper power the board needs to run.

Closely examine the CPU cooler. I'm guessing it is a stock cooler. Make sure all 4 pins are fully inserted and locked.

Are the motherboard standoffs installed ONLY at those locations where there is a screw hole in the motherboard?

January 26, 2009 12:46:37 PM

I have now checked the CPU cooler and all 4 pins are ok. (Yes its a stock cooler)
The motherboard standoffs are ONLY installed at the locations where they are supposed to be.
I also went and bought a new PSU, the new one is a ZALMAN (HEATPIPE COOLED 600 WATT Power Supply)

The problem persists...
Related resources
January 26, 2009 4:15:08 PM

The problem persists and it will still not boot. Does anyone have any additional ideas on what could be the problem?
Could the motherboard have been damaged from the beginning only it took a while to show (Some sort of burnout)?

What really makes me confused is that the computer was running for a while and then when it was turned off for a while it went bad and would not reboot. It seems very strange to me!
January 26, 2009 7:22:36 PM

Those Zalmans are supposedly OK ;)  Wish you would have asked us first about PSUs though, we might have pointed you at a batter one.

I'm assuming you have both the 24-pin and 4/8-pin power connected on the motherboard.

Do you hear any hard drive activity when you start it? Any indication that it's actually doing something other than the spinning fans?

You should probably try each stick of RAM individually, but if that doesn't work, just RMA the board.
January 26, 2009 7:34:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes I have both the 24-pin and the 4/8-pin power connected.

Yes, I can hear the hard drive spinning when I start the computer, it also makes a few other normal read noises that seems like the usual ones when a computer starts. It basically seems as if it is half a boot sequence.

I have tried first with no RAM at all and then it made those beep noises as the motherboard manual indicated it would. I then tested each one individually and it was no difference from when I try to boot with both in the slots.

Finally I noticed something that might be of interest (do not know), the keyboard or mouse does not get any power, but this is probably due to the boot sequence not getting far enough.

I'm getting a little worried that its the motherboard that has broken somehow. But don't understand how or when.
January 26, 2009 7:39:03 PM

Sometimes hardware just fails. It's fairly common really... perhaps 10-15% for some motherboard makers.

Since the video card worked, it's less likely that failed... you could pull it and see if the board beeps at you, but regardless you'll probably have to RMA the board before you know for sure.
January 26, 2009 8:13:05 PM

Ok, I will RMA the motherboard then. Thank you very much for the very quick replies!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2009 8:19:50 PM

I'd lean more toward a RAM issue than the motherboard. Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS?
January 26, 2009 9:03:38 PM

Ah, it seems as if the problem was located. One of the two RAM modules was malfunctional. The computer works fine with just one of them. (I did try this as one of the first sources of failure but apparently it did not boot that time, now it did though)

Thank you very much for the help, even though it was such a noob mistake! :-/
January 27, 2009 11:46:47 AM

+1 shortstuff_mt, once in the bios, check your RAM timings and voltage versus the manufacturers recommended settings.
January 27, 2009 1:29:43 PM

yeah RAM always causes problems.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2009 2:57:36 PM

Try clearing the bios.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2009 9:49:31 PM

+1 for RAM settings. Download Memtest86+ and run it after increasing RAM voltage. Also CMOS battery might be too low (seen this happen).
!