Sign in with
Your question

Wondering about upgrading my CPU on a factory built computer?

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2009 11:13:45 PM

I have a compaq sr5123wm desktop computer ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... )

And the motherboard and CPU (according to HP)
Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4000+ 2.1 GHz (65W)

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2

Chipset
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra-GL8E

IS it possible to upgrade my CPU to a quad if not what kind of dual core is available for my socket type and stuff, this is my first time installing one, and im just wanting to make sure....Also would it be good to upgrade it? like almost a 3.0ghz to play games and work with videos, I know people will say a lot of games are GPU based but the game i want to play is more CPU than GPU so if would would help me, i would appreciate it. :D 
April 25, 2009 4:28:54 AM

What game do you want to play? I highly doubt anything is more CPU based then GPU.

Heres info on your motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

" * Socket: AM2
* Supports the following processors:
o Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
o Athlon 64 less than 4000+
o Sempron less than 4000+"

You dont need a Quad core for gaming.
Related resources
April 25, 2009 4:33:22 AM

Tsuki4455 said:
I have a compaq sr5123wm desktop computer ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... )

And the motherboard and CPU (according to HP)
Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4000+ 2.1 GHz (65W)

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2

Chipset
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra-GL8E

IS it possible to upgrade my CPU to a quad if not what kind of dual core is available for my socket type and stuff, this is my first time installing one, and im just wanting to make sure....Also would it be good to upgrade it? like almost a 3.0ghz to play games and work with videos, I know people will say a lot of games are GPU based but the game i want to play is more CPU than GPU so if would would help me, i would appreciate it. :D 

To give my opinion, your integrated video is so crappy that you won't see much of a benefit from upgrading your CPU even though it's an RTS. I'm almost certain you'd get more of a boost if you upgrade your video versus upgrading your CPU.
April 25, 2009 4:45:47 AM

I cant find how many watts the power supply is. Its probably really crappy though so wont give you much of a space to upgrade your GPU. Even at 400 watts, putting in a Radeon 4650 will show you some real difference.
April 25, 2009 5:28:06 AM

First off the power supply should be upgradable. Its just a standard ATX format. After that make sure you replace that onbard Nvidia 6150e, its not for gaming. Maybe web surfing and thats about it. Replace it with a 4670 or a 4770 if you want to wait. You'll see a big difference upgrading to the 4650 even, like Yakooza said. Secondly the highest CPU upgrade available is the AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+. You don't need a quad for gaming, most of the cores aren't used anyways. Maybe you'll get lucky and try that 6000+ 89W edition with a 3.1GHZ clock.

AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHZ - 67.00 + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

vv I can't confirm if it works. Just trial and error.

AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ might work. BUT make sure you get the 89W edition. Not the 125W one. That won't work.
April 25, 2009 1:23:18 PM

Thanks for the responses but i upgraded my graphics to a PCI-E PNY geforce 9600 GT GDDR3 and a bigger power supply so yeah i took the original power supply out and im not using integrated and the games i would like to play is in a couple months and since i dont have a job cause im younger than most people and this economic downfall is hurting everyone i cant afford much sooooo yeah i wanted to replace the CPu to play new games like AION (Not out) WoW, the new COD thats comming out etc also fall out 3 XD
April 25, 2009 2:50:21 PM

AKM880 said:
First off the power supply should be upgradable. Its just a standard ATX format. After that make sure you replace that onbard Nvidia 6150e, its not for gaming. Maybe web surfing and thats about it. Replace it with a 4670 or a 4770 if you want to wait. You'll see a big difference upgrading to the 4650 even, like Yakooza said. Secondly the highest CPU upgrade available is the AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+. You don't need a quad for gaming, most of the cores aren't used anyways. Maybe you'll get lucky and try that 6000+ 89W edition with a 3.1GHZ clock.

AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHZ - 67.00 + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

vv I can't confirm if it works. Just trial and error.

AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ might work. BUT make sure you get the 89W edition. Not the 125W one. That won't work.

Lol if i put the 6000 in what is the worst that could happen if it doesnt work?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2009 5:30:02 AM

Worst that could happen? The motherboard actually tries to support the CPU, but it draws too much power and they both burn out :D . It's unlikely though. What's more likely is that you're board will give you a big FU and not even bother posting :o  .
April 26, 2009 5:40:29 AM

Well, the motherboard an the computer are designed for a CPU with a TDP of 89W, therefore maybe the 6000+ 3.1GHZ 89W version, but once you buy the wrong one, it could maybe (not likely tho) fry something. Because there is another 6000+ with a TDP of 125W.
April 26, 2009 4:46:40 PM

AKM880 said:
Well, the motherboard an the computer are designed for a CPU with a TDP of 89W, therefore maybe the 6000+ 3.1GHZ 89W version, but once you buy the wrong one, it could maybe (not likely tho) fry something. Because there is another 6000+ with a TDP of 125W.

So the 89w is good about about that 2.9ghz would it make a good difference for to get a 3.0ghz?
April 26, 2009 5:20:03 PM

O yea, big difference. Once you get up to 2.8, anything faster isnt going to be noticeable unless your running detailed benchmarks. Only way to get faster would be a full upgrade to Core2 or PhenomII.
April 26, 2009 6:39:27 PM

B-Unit said:
O yea, big difference. Once you get up to 2.8, anything faster isnt going to be noticeable unless your running detailed benchmarks. Only way to get faster would be a full upgrade to Core2 or PhenomII.

Thanks alot B, now would i probably experience and problems with installing this do i just put it in put some thermal grease on it and start it up?
April 26, 2009 6:51:09 PM

Hmmm, for this Im not certain. Depending on the size/layout of your HP, It might not be a bad idea to use the AMD heatsink that will come with your new CPU. This would have thermal compound pre-applied.

Just make sure you line the triangles up, and keep yourself grounded throughout the process by touching your case frequently.

Also, before you start it may be a good idea to get the latest BIOS from HP, just to make sure the new CPU will be recognized.
April 26, 2009 8:47:24 PM

B-Unit said:
Hmmm, for this Im not certain. Depending on the size/layout of your HP, It might not be a bad idea to use the AMD heatsink that will come with your new CPU. This would have thermal compound pre-applied.

Just make sure you line the triangles up, and keep yourself grounded throughout the process by touching your case frequently.

Also, before you start it may be a good idea to get the latest BIOS from HP, just to make sure the new CPU will be recognized.

Hey B, do you have a messanger or something i can contact you one i have another question kinda related its not that important so i shouldnt keep this on the forums lol is that possible?
April 26, 2009 9:55:01 PM

Im at work right now, so no, but you can send PMs thru the forum.
!