Sign in with
Your question

Issues regarding transfer rate.

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2010 8:53:56 PM

I have brought a new WD 1Tb external hard drive.When I copy data its starts with a speed around 100Mbps but after few seconds it drops to a steady rate of 27-30 Mbps.I just wanna know if there is a way of maintaing a greater steady transfer rate.what should i do.I use win7 ultimate 64x edition.

More about : issues transfer rate

a c 415 G Storage
July 31, 2010 10:27:19 PM

Windows caches file writes in RAM, so when you start a copy the transfer rate appears higher because the copy doesn't have to wait for the output to be actually written to disk. If you're copying enough stuff then eventually the RAM buffer will get full and then the speed will drop because the copy is having to wait for the output to be written.

Note that if you're copying to and from the same physical drive (even if you're copying from, say, "C:" to "D:" but both partitions are actually on the same disk) then the I/O rate to the disk drive is actually twice what's reported. This is because for every byte copied you have to first read it from the disk and then write that same byte back to the same disk again.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 1, 2010 4:14:32 AM

Its also an external drive. USB2.0 is limited to around 40MBps, so 30MBps isn't that far off. Give us some more info like type of connection and system specs so we can make sure.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
August 1, 2010 4:31:45 AM

4745454b said:
Its also an external drive. USB2.0 is limited to around 40MBps, so 30MBps isn't that far off.
Ah yes, that would make perfect sense!
m
l
!