Apr 25, 2009
Hi,
I just put together my new computer:

- i7 920
- Gigabyte EX58-UD4
- 3x2GB G.Skill Tri-Channel Memory
- Sapphire Radeon 4890
- 2x 500GB HDD (Raid 0)

After i installed Vista i updated all the drivers on the system then ran the 'Rate this computer' app. Everytime the it reaches the CPU tests the computer BSOD.

I have also tried playing Supreme Commander. The game runs for awhile, but randomly crashes during game play.

I have check device manager and all drives and components seem to be installed/working fine.

Any ideas of what could be going on??

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
increase the memory voltage set the memory settings manually

we run everyone 920 at 3.6-4.2ghz so if your not overclocking your memory needs more voltage

set it at 1.64v

set the timmings 7-7-7 at 1100fsb to 8-8-8 at or above 1333

this is all well documented on sites that oc systems, some memory needs manual settings.

since the cpu is crashing it may need more voltage raise from the stock 1.1=1.2v to 1.3-1.33v which will give you 3.6ghz, give or take

spec your exact memory and mobo bios

Scaj

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Hmm, if your trying to use 6GB of ram on a 32 bit OS which limits memory addressing to 4GB? I'd say that is your problem.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

It shouldn't make it crash, however. It should just cause some RAM to "disappear". Although I would definitely recommend moving to 64-bit, it isn't always an option.

I agree with cjl and dragonspraye about checking voltages and such.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
yes all above correct

i7 systems need memory voltage fine tunning

keep in mind these same ram modules where at 1.85-1.95v

some spec 1.5v but they do not run well there - all run good at 1.64v

includes: ocz 1333 and 1600 i7 branded, super talent 1333, corsair 1600, 1333 and 1866 i have test all them and more

while i am a big supertalent fan, ocz has really impressed me - stablity wise

as far as bench marks corsair is a premimu price and give premium results look for 5-10-% increased bandwidth at the same speed, voltage and latencies.

This. Its obvious that either your CPU voltage is set to low or the memory timings/voltage is set wrong since the CPU test does use RAM.

Go into BIOS and make sure all the CPU/RAM settings are at their spec settings.

For the CPU voltages run Everest (google it) and see what the VID is. Thats the stock voltage. Manually set it to that and your RAM timings/voltage to their spec and try it then.

We're talking basic troubleshooting likely. Most likely it's your actual hardware.

Vista x32
This combined with a 1GB graphics card means that Windows can probably only use about 2.5GB of your 6GB.

Sorry. If you bought it OEM (probably) and Activated it, it's tied to your system. If it was the more expensive FULL version it would allow for the 64-bit version to be installed.

If you just bought it maybe you can phone up Microsoft explain your ignorance and somebody will take pity on you. It's very unlikely but why not try? If you haven't Activated it online yet you should be able to sell it or use it with another computer. in fact, if it's not activated you might be able to switch it with a x64 version from the dealer.

For now, though why don't you get Windows 7 RC 64bit on May 5th when Microsoft releases it for free.

reborne_33

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
The only thing I have to add to the RAM and CPU voltage checks mentioned above is temps... You're saying that CPU tests BSOD the machine... Are these stress tests? Games could also be stressing the CPU... Check for temps under load.

Power Supply rating... What is the wattage rating on the PSU in there. Can it handle the load being generated by the hardware?

Lastly... Stick your RAM through Memtest once you're able to get the box to reliably boot. This will highlight any RAM faults you may have.

lseg

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
In the Bios all the voltage setting were on AUTO, i manually changed it and now my system is running stable (though the CPU is running hot, but i am switching out the stock cooler soon)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Btw, i just used my existing copy of Vista (32bit). I am picking up my new 64bit version today or Windows 7 RC 64bit (when its released).