MBO-Vid Card & Photoshop install problem

Bingo3

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
When I try to install Photoshop CS4, nothing happens. I am wondering if my system does not meet minimum requirements. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 processor. Running 2GB RAM and a NVida GForce 8400 GS video card. Is there something here that would cause CS4 to not install?
Thank you.

bilbat

Splendid
What, exactly, do you mean by "nothing happens"? Are you trying to install from the CD'd autorun? Have you tried to run the installer, or executable, directly? What OS are you running? Are you logged on as an administrator?

Bingo3

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I am logged on as administrator, clicking the install.exe and the hourglass starts then stops and nothing else happens. The hour glass stops and the install does not continue past that. I am using XP SP3. Sorry I neglected to tell you that.

bilbat

Splendid
Does the machine hang at that point, or does the hourglass simply disappear with no other result? I use CS2, as CS3 was a bloated, slow, resource hog, but have no experience with 4 - I'll root around a bit in the meantime, see what I can dig up...

Bingo3

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for trying to find more info. The machine does not hang. I have waited up to 20 minutes to see if something else would happen after starting the install process....and it doesn't. The hour glass just disappear.
Thanks again.

Bingo3

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
There were not any changes in the Program Files or registry. And to correct a mistake, I have been clicking on the Setup.exe not the install.exe.

Bingo3

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I did an install of this program on one of my other computers and it installed just fine. That is why I was wondering if there was a hardware issue on the computer I am currently trying to install it to.

bilbat

Splendid
You're ahead of me here - I was wondering if maybe the executable was corrupt, and could you try it elsewhere!!! I'll try to get back in a bit - an hour's worth of outside imposition just hit me...

bilbat

Splendid
Thought of another possibility - how much free space is on the install drive? Even my CS2 is huge - maybe the install is seeing that there's insufficient space available, and was written by the usual supect idiots - fails to report the error, and quietly exits? From Adobe:

1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; "additional free space" (nicely quantified!) required during installation

bilbat

Splendid
Found a few more items:

Defrag your HD first. Chances are that the 20 GB you have left is so fragmented that the PS installer cant structure the files properly. It needs 1 GB of continuous space. I just checked the specs on the Adobe site

But I, myself, could not find what he was referring to on Adobe's site?

Another possibility - can you temporarily disable your anti-virus?

Two more:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/374958
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407428.html

It appears, from various discussions, that there should be an installation log file being created, but I'm still trying to find out where...

dr emulator madmax

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
of the top of my head it might and i repeat might be something to do with sp3 although that's not always the case ,i've had problems installing stuff on it along with bsod's
with a expensive suite of software like that i personally would see if it worked with sp2 yeah yeah pain installing o/s plus expense of a new hd but when you've got something that costs about £365 you need to know
also although i don't want to scare you ,
you might have a dead sector cd or even something as simple as a dirty lens on your cd/dvd player

bilbat

Splendid
Finally found it!

Adobe Creative Suite installation log
The Adobe Creative Suite 3 installer log contains detailed messages on why the install failed (or succeeded). The log file can help you diagnose the problem faster. Every attempted installation will append information to the previous installation log. Deleting the current installation log and running the installation again can simplify the troubleshooting process. The log file is created on both Windows and Macintosh. The error messages contained will defer in format because of Operating System differences.

Navigate to the Adobe Creative Suite 3 log file.
\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers folder.
Decompress the Adobe Creative Suite 3 log file.
Important: The log file is archived using a compression utility called gzip and will require a decompression tool such as Winzip or WinRAR.
Note on log names:
The log file for the Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, for example, is: Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium 1.0.log.gz
Search the log file(s) for InstallPayload failed.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401429.html