OC'ing an AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz

SammyBusby

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hello everyone. I want to overclock my new Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Processor that I just recieved. The multiplier is locked so I dont know how to OC it. I have an ASRock A780LM-S AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 780L Micro ATX Motherboard. It came with a program that runs in windows for Overclocking. I also have AMD's Overclocking software installed. Can someone help me overclock this CPU? I am new to this and dont really know much about OC'ing. I have heard that this very processor can be clocked up to 3.7GHz though I dont see how. I would like to get it up and stable at around 3.4 or 3.5 if at all possible. I have a nice 3rd party fan and heatsink installed so cooling isnt an issue. Could some figure up the settings I would need to get it up to 3.4GHz?? Thanks for any help/advice.

Sammy

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
What kind of power supply do you have? Unless it is a quality PSU, I wouldn't recommend the additional stress of overclocking.

Also, that motherboard does not have very many power phases going to the CPU, and they do not have heatsinks, so that will most likely limit your overclock.

If you understand all of that, then you need to go into your BIOS and up the CPU's FSB. It will be a default of 200MHz, times your 14 multiplier to get to 2800MHz. You will also need to up your vCore to reach higher frequencies like 3.4GHz and above, and may also need to up the NB voltage, as it will be running faster as well.

SammyBusby

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

LOL I got a good power supply. (I consider it a good one anyways ;)0 I have a BFG 680w ATX power supply so I dont think that will be a problem. Thanks for the reply. I will try to up it a little and see how that goes. The only reason I know a little about overclockin is because Ive messed around with the sofware I mentioned and read up on it a little. I dont recall who told me it reached 3.7GHz but I dont see how they got it THAT high. Ive managed to get it up to 3.2GHz and it ran a few minutes and blue screened on me. I mustve had the settings wrong or something.