Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Install XP from USB without Bios Support

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 2, 2011 2:26:28 PM

Acer Aspire 3000 Laptop and basically nothing works. No internet, no audio, no cd drive(this is the only one that is hardware based).

Now, I have a 4 and 8 GB flash drive that I can do this from, and I am almost sure how to do it to begin with, however, my BIOS does not even have the option to boot from USB. Only CD, HDD, or Network.

Is it possible to do this, and if so, how?

More about : install usb bios support

July 3, 2011 5:42:21 AM

I suggest you buy a USB to IDE/SATA adapter so any drive can be connected to any computer. You could boot from a CD ROM connected to the device and be on your way.
They cost $19.99 at Tiger Direct. To see it, click
HERE

Press the F12 key when the Acer Logo shows to get alternative boot options.

m
l
July 3, 2011 5:26:28 PM

So I should be able to connect the two, my lappy and PC, then when I look in boot options, I could find my PC CD drive?

*ahem* I just clicked the link to see what you were talking about and I see what you mean. That is an interesting idea, however, not to be cheap, but if I will go out of my way to fix my laptop, then I might as well just buy a new one.

Also, in case I do go this route, the lappy will read it as a CDdrive rather than a USB?
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2011 3:27:51 AM

ShaoLimper said:
So I should be able to connect the two, my lappy and PC, then when I look in boot options, I could find my PC CD drive?

I'm not real clear here on what type setup you are describing.

Your BIOS has a problem detecting a USB flash drive as a boot device. It is able to see a USB CD ROM drive though. If you get the adapter described above you could connect any CD ROM to that adapter and plug it into your USB port of the Acer 3000 and boot with it to re-install Windows or whatever you choose. (even another internal CD ROM just sitting on the table next to your computer)

m
l
July 4, 2011 3:52:17 AM

Sorry, I edited my post too late. I did not click the link before, I thought it was a USB to USB or something.
m
l
July 4, 2011 5:01:02 AM

ShaoLimper said:
Sorry, I edited my post too late. I did not click the link before, I thought it was a USB to USB or something.

Happens sometimes... no prob.

I have one of these and it is what's called "indispensable" because I come across small laptops with no CD drive and suddenly, it does have a drive although temporarily.

I was given an IBM X41 tablet, but no docking station. The CD ROM is in the docking station. :( 

I pulled the drive and connected it to my adapter, plugged it into my desktop and put 2 partitions on the drive, one 750MB using FAT32 and the remainder as NTFS. The FAT32 was made bootable and there I copied the entire XP CD ("set" of 2 for this computer). I replaced the drive in the computer, booted using the FAT32 partition (computer boots to it no matter what at this point in time), and proceed to run the "winnt.exe" setup program found in the i386 folder. It installed XP perfectly to the NTFS partition and now when I run something like SFC /scannow, I don't need the CD and it runs super-fast.

This same method would work for you, if you have the CD to install XP with. This is of course if your computer absolutely will not boot to an external USB CD ROM.

The adapter cost $20 but it's just something you'll really love having when you need it. The fact that it can handle any drive type is a bonus. Think about it. It's a lot cheaper than a new computer, unless you really don't like that one.

m
l
July 4, 2011 6:53:01 AM

This is not even a sure fix, so I will put this method off for now. So far the CD drive, the audio, and internet are all out of comission. The battery is no longer used because it causes RAM issues. One RAMstick has been replaced on it. For all I know my mobo is about to cave.

Basically, I Want to wipe it completely, start a new partition and new install. This 20 dollar doo-dad would probably do it, but I half expect the lappy not to start again if I remove partition.
m
l
July 4, 2011 7:29:16 AM

If the machine is in such bad shape as you say then it is better to get a new one.
m
l
July 10, 2011 5:06:42 AM

Anyone else?
m
l
July 10, 2011 8:18:42 AM

Take the hard disk out and prepare it in another system then hope it runs (albeit without the right drivers) when you put it back in.

As nice as it is to keep old machines out of landfill, in your case, I'm with Tigsounds - time for the tip.

m
l