Sign in with
Your question

Problem with motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2009 4:01:23 PM

Hey there,

My PC suffered a BSOD yesterday, with an error message containing a "Bad Pool Header".

A hard reset was necessary, afterwhich it would not boot to the POST screen. On switching the PC on, all the fans spin as normal for 2-3 seconds, speed up for a fraction of a second, then the machine resets. A few seconds later the PC reboots itself, and the process repeats - until the power is switched off completely.

I stripped down the PC, removing all unnecessary hardware, testing different memory sticks etc. In every configuration the same problem exists - the PC won't boot to POST - the fans spin as normal, speed up, then resets itself.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong with my machine? Does this sound like a problem with the motherboard, or psu?

Thanks

Chris

System specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Processor - E6600
RAM - Corsair Dominator
PSU - Arctic 700W

More about : problem motherboard

June 22, 2009 4:32:06 PM

Have you OC'ed it in the past or present? If so, have you tried resetting the cmos jumper? My pc has a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo and when I put my Corsair Dominator 1066 in it...it power cycles. I have been troubleshooting it for the past 6 months but the pc will come on fine if i put a different kind of ram in it. With the Dominator the PC will turn on...the monitor will not come on and then the pc will shut off again. It does this as many times as I will let it. So..my fix was buying more ram. Try a different type ram and see what that does.
June 22, 2009 5:45:54 PM

Tried a few ram types... all corsair though. Tried both the dominator 1066hz (1 gig sticks up to 4gb)and the normals xms2 version (2gb sticks up to 8gbs), without the dominator heatsinks.

Will try it again tonight, and tomorrow with a friend's psu. Have you rma'd your mobo yet?
Related resources
June 22, 2009 6:19:50 PM

I dont plan on it...I am going to keep it because I had all the extra ram laying around from a previous build. There is nothing wrong with my mobo it was my Dominator ram and from what I read about yours it is doing the exact same thing that mine is doing. I have not tried my Dominator ram in anything else but the ram worked before. I was getting blue screens every time i would try to boot up and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong with it but i eventually narrowed it down after replacing almost everything. I replaced my proc, ram, mobo, HD, and cd burner :| but I eventually narrowed it down to the ram. I had planned on getting rid of the dominator anyways since I was going to upgrade to my current Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb at the same speed of 1066. So all in all mine did the exact same thing as yours. It will come on very very few times....maybe 1 in 50 tries of starting it up but it is extremely hard. I hope you get everything going man.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 22, 2009 6:56:00 PM

Try the CMOS reset, followed by a "Load Optimized Defaults"

My experience with RAM 'GB-friendliness' by manufacturer has been: mushkin - GBs love mushkin, but it's pricey, and the speed selection is limited; G.Skill - works well, has a functional EPP, and will usually also run at 'auto' settings, unless you run four sticks; OCZ - likewise; Kingston, Crucial, & Corsair - seem to account for most of the problems I see here with RAM (which, of course, could possibly be due to the fact that more people buy them, as they're generally cheap), with Crucial having a few times had problems with apparent 'degrading' over time, i.e., a previously working OC simply 'goes bad', and MemTest86+ shows it to be RAM...
June 22, 2009 7:28:19 PM

I will agree with bill...i think my Dominator degraded over time. You can go to Gigabyte.us which is there website and if you search for your mobo they will give you a pdf of proffered ram.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 22, 2009 11:00:57 PM

I've mentioned this recently, but I'll reiterate: while the stuff on the 'supported ram' list should work, the lists are often kind of a poor selection. This is due to two separate problems: A, the list is made up when the board is released, and never updated thereafter; this means that, for boards who've been out there for a while, you'll find a lot of 512M, and 1G stuff, but very few 2x2 or 2x4 set-ups; and B, I'm pretty sure it's made up from testing samples from manufacturers wise enough to have sent samples to GB for testing - which is why you'll see, unfortunately, a lot of stuff you've never heard of, and can't get - probably Taiwanese manufacturers who either don't export, or supply stuff for 're-branding' here... Most decent quality RAM should work, but may take a bit of 'tweaking', especially if you're trying to run four sticks (and, peculiarly enough, it's harder to get 4x1 working than 4x2!), or a faster speed than 800. You can always post here, and I'll try to walk you through the BIOS set-up...
June 23, 2009 1:23:31 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've tried a CMOS reset, via the jumper pins and with a CMOS battery removal, but still no luck. Can't get to a POST screen...

On starting up, the fans go on, then after 2-3 seconds, fans spin up much faster, then the PC shuts down - then the cycle repeats. Was this increased fan speed happening to yours just before yours switched off? Might this be an indicator that something is overheating / not cooling enough / the temperature sensor not working? Or is this just the standard reboot cycle that every poor fool gets with systems that won't post?

When the problem first happened I tested it with spare Dominator xms2 sticks, and have tried a variety of ram configurations, with no change.

I originally had 2 x 1gb dominators, and it worked fine, then upgraded to 4 x 1gb dominators, and it worked fine, then upgraded to 4 x 2gb xms2 non-dominators, and this 8gb setup (1066hz running at 800 ish) has been working for about 3 months.... or at least up till 2 days ago arg. =/

I did check the preferred ram pdf before I purchased the xms2's - and I did note that there wasn't a corsair configuration at 8gb. However, I did think that the preferred list been put together when the mobo first came out (i.e. slightly out of date as you say Bill), and as corsair is generally good... I thought... why not! C'est la vie perhaps!

My friend forgot the psu today, so will have to wait till tomorrow to test it properly... or any other ideas? :) 
June 23, 2009 1:58:38 PM

Sorry man, i have none. You kinda run into a problem with adjusting the timings and voltages if it will not post :o  I guess in your case it could possibly be the motherboard. Put the ram in another computer and run a memtest. Thats about all I can think of.
June 23, 2009 2:13:00 PM

Thanks anyway mate, your suggestions are appreciated.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 23, 2009 3:09:42 PM

That whole 'spin it up, shut it down' business is often indicative of an overtemp problem; I have had numerous people swear to me here that they're sure they did the HSF install correctly, and then sheepishly come back to report either a pin loose, unlocked, or cracked... It's not inattention or incompetence, either - there seems to be a contest going on (but I think Intel's stock pieces win hands down with their really crappy 'stock' 775 piece) to see who can design the worst, most impractical way to attach a heatsink! I've tried a few, and, with one exception, they all stank! (The exception: I finally bit the bullet and went to water - have a D-Tek Fuzion, and it came with: an 'x' shaped, threaded, metal backing plate with reinforcing ribs and a molded-on foam rubber insulating pad, and a spring-loaded set of screws with a machined release [not a single &^%$ ^%#@ plastic piece involved!] that lets you get to exactly the correct tension, and then simply turns without tightening further; the drawback - you have to have unimpeded access to the back of the MOBO; I've written D-Tek and told them they should quit wasting their time on water-blocks, and sell mounting systems to every HSF manufacturer!)

IMHO, the best feature of GB's 'ultra-durable' MOBOs (which is, otherwise, a bunch of ditzy marketing hype - '50 degrees C cooler' - I'm pretty sure that if anything on my MOBO was 50 cooler, there'd be frost forming on it!) is that they'll take enough pressure to get an HSF seated without giving you the ominous feeling that you're a half-ounce of pressure away from a dreadful, fatal snap! Another point to be made is procedure: it's usually easier to 'work your way' around the chip, but, for the best results, you want to do a pair of diagonally opposed pins first, and then finish up with the other two...
June 24, 2009 6:24:14 PM

Oh well, organising an RMA at the moment.
Tried a different PSU, and it's not to blame.
After screwing around with different configurations the problem is either the mobo, or the cpu...
Looking forward to the RMS response now!
July 11, 2009 9:32:31 AM

Got the mobo back RMA today... apparently there was a "bios data error", and they replaced/changed tfromhe following item:

10HP4-112580-11R FLROM MX25L8005M2C-15G MXIC

Now it won't switch on at all lol! :S

First I set it up with all the ram, gpu and other plugs... no joy.

Then I stripped it down to basics, no joy. Then jumped the f panel power switch, no joy. Then jumped cmos again - no joy.

At the moment all thats connected to my mobo are the following:

psu - arctic 700w - before rma working fine
cpu - e6600 - before rma working fine
ram - corsair xms 2gig single stick (or 1gig dominator) - working fine
hdd - 10,000 raptor 80gig (I think) worked fine

Any idea where i could be going wrong?
July 11, 2009 12:28:14 PM

Weeel,

Got the power on - had to take it out of the case and put it on cardboard.

Now the power is on... it came up with a new screen - something to do about "bios recovering", with "...."s showing that something was happening.

Next thing - it resets. Now it's doing the same thing as pre-RMA. It powers up, fans spin up, resets. Repeat, ad infinatum.

Arg.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 11, 2009 3:19:21 PM

Do you get the whole 'BIOS recovering' cycle every time it resets? Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, can you get your hands on an old-fasioned PS2 model for some testing?

The reason I ask, is that, for 90% of GB 'reboot loops', the problem turns out to be rooted in USB. There are two common causes. First is that GB's seem to be just, well, 'picky' is about the best I can describe it, about strict adherence to the USB spec - we surmise this because: it's often an older device that causes the problem; and, occasionally, a new device is released that refuses to play nice, and there are a quick spate of problems - sometimes fixed by a new firmware release for the offending device [some months back, a bunch of people cropped up who were getting reboot loops that turned out to all be the same model of an external USB DVD burner]. Second is a BIOS setting common to all the GBs - it's on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, called either "Legacy USB storage detect", or in newer BIOS, "USB Storage Function"; this one is kind of a quandry, as, if you need a USB device to be 'seen' in the BIOS, before the OS' USB drivers are loaded, to either flash the BIOS from a pendrive, save CMOS parameters to a pendrive, or boot to a USB drive, you need this enabled - however, leaving this enabled for normal use will often result in reboot loops; and, in most boards, the worst part is that this is enabled by default! But you've got to get into the BIOS first, to check it.

Usually, to 'break' the loop, doing a CMOS reset, followed by booting without any USB anything plugged in, will get you to the point where you can enter the BIOS - but, if your board keeps 'recovering' the BIOS, I'll have to dig deeper. Just as a point, my board has been hosed three times badly enough for it to recover the BIOS - twice from flashing a corrupted BIOS file, and once by an egregious buffer over-run; both times it tidily reset my BIOS to its 'as shipped' version (the wrong one of course - no support for my CPU's micro-code), rebooted, and preceded as normal...
November 14, 2012 2:14:20 PM

monk1979 said:
Hey there,

My PC suffered a BSOD yesterday, with an error message containing a "Bad Pool Header".

A hard reset was necessary, afterwhich it would not boot to the POST screen. On switching the PC on, all the fans spin as normal for 2-3 seconds, speed up for a fraction of a second, then the machine resets. A few seconds later the PC reboots itself, and the process repeats - until the power is switched off completely.

I stripped down the PC, removing all unnecessary hardware, testing different memory sticks etc. In every configuration the same problem exists - the PC won't boot to POST - the fans spin as normal, speed up, then resets itself.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong with my machine? Does this sound like a problem with the motherboard, or psu?

Thanks

Chris

System specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Processor - E6600
RAM - Corsair Dominator
PSU - Arctic 700W

problem with mother board,,.. asus center change my mobo ,. for this problem
!