Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • LCD
  • DVI
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2009 8:08:59 AM

Im getting a new lcd to use as both a Monitor and TV. I know there were problems in the past when switching sources, inputs blanking having to reset resolution etc. Even random black screens on Cable boxes when using a dvi to hdmi adapter. Have these improved at all?

Gpu is a Ati 4870 dvi output.

Lcd, Sony Bravia V-Series KDL-42V4100. They are going out of production so very good deal.

Is it worth the Dvi to HDMI? or just use a dvi to vga. I cant find if the vga input even supports 1920 X 1080

More about : dvi hdmi problems

February 21, 2009 8:16:18 AM

Well VGA supports upto 3.2mp analog and DVI and hdmi supports upto 2.3mp digital, but the quality will be higher if you go for a good quality DVI to HDMI cable.
February 21, 2009 12:50:55 PM

I've hooked my 65" Mits to my game machine using DVI TO HDMI with no problems, and you will not get 1920x1080 with VGA.
Related resources
February 23, 2009 11:12:05 PM

sodoffu said:
Im getting a new lcd to use as both a Monitor and TV. I know there were problems in the past when switching sources, inputs blanking having to reset resolution etc. Even random black screens on Cable boxes when using a dvi to hdmi adapter. Have these improved at all?

Gpu is a Ati 4870 dvi output.

Lcd, Sony Bravia V-Series KDL-42V4100. They are going out of production so very good deal.

Is it worth the Dvi to HDMI? or just use a dvi to vga. I cant find if the vga input even supports 1920 X 1080

i have the 52v4100 and it works just fine. switching between cable box and pc takes a few seconds but works every time. both hdmi connects. havent seen issues using vga but was limited testing.
February 25, 2009 8:30:09 AM

DVI to HDMI is the better setup. Thats what i use in my PC running at 1080P
February 25, 2009 11:02:01 AM

DVI -> HDMI is better.

HDMI/DVI are the same exact output, the only diffrence is HDMI can also carry an audio signal. Thats one reason why most moniters now support a digital OUT output, to pass the sound from an HDMI source to an audio receiver/sound card.
February 25, 2009 1:45:43 PM

DVI to HDMI works almost always, but not always. I have had problems connecting to a projector this way, but for Windows 7. Just to give you a heads up.
February 25, 2009 3:36:07 PM

sjrust said:
DVI to HDMI works almost always, but not always. I have had problems connecting to a projector this way, but for Windows 7. Just to give you a heads up.

Ill say it again, minus the audio portion, its the same EXACT output. That being said, why do HDMI->DVI anyway?
February 25, 2009 4:02:48 PM

gamerk316 said:
Ill say it again, minus the audio portion, its the same EXACT output. That being said, why do HDMI->DVI anyway?

This is where forums can fall short. Any driver beyond the standard vga drivers did not work once windows booted. Analogue would work, DVI would work, but trying DVI to HDMI would not work. I'll say it again too: DVI to HDMI almost always works, but not always. This just boils down to the fact that people on these forums are good at general knowledge of how things work, but they never know through and through how these things work. I don't either, but I can share my experiences, and tell you what actually works based on unbiased thorough testing as opposed to what is theoretically going to happen.
February 25, 2009 10:17:52 PM

gamerk316 said:

if your going to repeat yourself at least be correct.: DVI is an 8 bit RGB signal, while HDMI can be 8 bit RGB, or 8 bit, 10 bit, or 12 bit YCbCr.

as for the original topic. have you tried forcing the TV to a lower resolution ie 720p and seeing if it works then?
does the TV just go into the purple "no link or incorrect format" screen?

one other question. do you have a DVI or VGA monitor hooked up ( assuming for testing) while you are trying to get the TV to function. if so you may be running into HDCP blocking. ive run across issues when using 1 monitor that supports HDCP and another that does not.

have you tried another video card as well.

February 26, 2009 8:57:25 PM

Getting back on track.......

@ OP, What content are you trying to display on your TV?

According to Sony, the panel supports 1920x1080 via both the D-sub (HD-15) and HDMI inputs.

The HD48xx series should've come with an HDMI adapter, and this would offer you audio & video along the HDMI cable, and also support HDCP content. The D-Sub while supporting the resolution in question (it goes well beyond that too), would provide neither the audio nor the HDCP complaince, which might be the cause of some of the issue you read about or were experiencing yourself.

Either contection should work for the panel, but the content might affect what you can display.
!