Gaming PC Build (Seeking Advice & Suggestions!)

Vinsanity

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to build a mid-high end gaming PC and would like to hear your opinions cuz I haven't really paid attention to what has been going on in the hardware world every since I assembled my current PC, which was almost 4 years ago. I would like to play games such as GTA IV and Fallout 3 etc on high-highest settings.

I'm actually from Hong Kong and will arrive in Toronto at the end of this month to study so I'll probably build the PC in mid-February or near the end of next month. My budget is around USD 1000 and would like to have the best stuff that can be bought from that amount of money. And I will not be overclocking the PC.

Sorry but I haven't really got a complete list of things that I want. I've been spending hours on this forum looking at hardware news and info and thought maybe I could get some help from you guys since I find the ppl's opinions around here are very informative and useful.

Here's a couple of items that I have already picked out.

CPU:
AMD PHENOM II X4 940 HDZ940XCGI CPU BOX (Black Edition)

Display Card:
Sapphire HD4850 PCI-E 1GB DDR3 X2
[I think I saw two editions of this card? One in which it is combined together as one card and the other where you have to buy two separate cards? What is the exact difference?]

Ram:
DDR2 4G Kit (2G X2)
[Haven't really got any idea of which brand or model to buy. I heard that using 1066MHz rams would give a performance boost with AMD Phenom II X4 940? Or is there not a big difference compared to using 800 MHz rams?]

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H/AM2+ AMD 790GX M/B
[Any suggestions for other motherboards? Although I do like Gigabyte boards. No problem has occured with my current one throught the years:)]

Harddisk:
[Either WD or Seagate. Size ranging from 500-750GB. Can be reduced or increased according to how much money is left.]

DVD Writer:
[Pioneer preferred. Willing to accept other models and brands if suggested.]

Power:
[Don't really know how big it should be for it to be enough. 650W? Not really sure about the brand either. My current PC is using an Enermax one and it's been working quite well, although being a bit load.]

Case:
[Any suggestions of what case would be better looking and could also help with cooling?]

Sound Card, Lan Card: On-Board

And since there is still almost a month's time till I build the PC, should I wait a bit and change some of the hardware above after one month's time? Such as changing to a AM3 MB and getting some DD3 Ram etc.

Well that's about it. Thanks for using your time to read this post. I really appreciate it.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
If i was you go for the X2 thats a single card because the two cards is a crossfire set-up and uses 2 pci-e slots... go for a good psu like the Corsair 750, case go for the antec 900 if in budget if not look for one with a decent air flow, theres a WD 640GB harddisk thats good but cant remember the ID number sorry, everything else looks good... have a fun time and good luck and dont forget to write back!

Vinsanity

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thanks for the quick reply!

The harddisk you're talking about is the "Western Digital Caviar Black 640GD 32 MB Cache"? I had that in mind too after reading the "System Builder Marathon: $1,250 Mid-Range PC"=).

Does the X2 single display card also have the benefits brought by Crossfire or does it perform just as well?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I believe so. It should be a WD6401AALS. The WD6400AAKS is similar, 16MB with 1 processor and 1 main bearing and almost as fast. If it's more than $15 cheaper in Canada then consider it.

Yes. If you really need the speed a 4870 X2 is the way to go. If you are planning on doing more studious work, then you don't need such an expensive card. You don't mention a monitor, so the resolution you will use is hidden from us. This is a big factor in how much graphics horsepower you will need.

The final solution on graphics will determine the power supply requirements. Sale prices when you buy will determine the actual unit to get.

Vinsanity

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Finally took some time to search up the prices in USD. So here's how the list looks atm.

CPU:
AMD PHENOM II X4 940 HDZ940XCGI CPU BOX (Black Edition) - USD$ 235

Display Card:
Sapphire HD4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit X 2) GDDR3 - USD$ 334.99
[I think I saw two editions of this card? One in which it is combined together as one card and the other where you have to buy two separate cards? What is the exact difference?]

Ram:
DDR2 4G Kit (2G X2)
[Haven't really got any idea of which brand or model to buy. I heard that using 1066MHz rams would give a performance boost with AMD Phenom II X4 940? Or is there not a big difference compared to using 800 MHz rams?]

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H/AM2+ AMD 790GX M/B - USD$ 138.99
[Any suggestions for other motherboards? Although I do like Gigabyte boards. No problem has occured with my current one throught the years]

Harddisk:
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GD 32 MB Cache - USD$ 79.99
[Either WD or Seagate. Size ranging from 500-750GB. Can be reduced or increased according to how much money is left.]

DVD Writer:
[Pioneer preferred. Willing to accept other models and brands if suggested.]

Power:
Corsair 650TX - USD$ 99.99
Or
Corsair 750TX - USD$ 129.99
[Don't really know how big it should be for it to be enough. Will 650W be enough? Not really sure about the brand either. My current PC is using an Enermax one and it's been working quite well, although being a bit load.]

Case:
[Any suggestions of what case would be better looking and could also help with cooling?]

USD$ 111.04 (Assuming using 650W PS. Case, DVD-Writer and Ram still not included.)
- Can be USD$ 50 dollars over budget.

I'm not aware of any direct comparison, but the performance is similar to crossfired 4850s. Slightly better than a single GTX 280, less than a 4870X2.

Avoid the Seagate drives for now, they are having high fail rates.

Vinsanity

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

I'll probably be buying a 22" Monitor. The resolution of most of the 22" LCDs that I have seen are 1680 x 1065, with a few at 1920 x 1080.

Btw, does anyone have any particular monitor to recommend? I prefer one made by Samsung, with Widescreen 16:9.