Sign in with
Your question

Xp dvd will not play

Last response: in Windows XP
July 2, 2011 8:10:02 PM

Hello,my Dell Dimension 5150 desktop drive D says it is dvd-rw. it will play a cd but not any dvd or even recognise a blank dvd-rw disc. MS fixit says I do not have a problem ? !! I have cleaned the lens to no avail

More about : dvd play

July 3, 2011 10:18:47 PM

I have had DVD drives fail but still usable for CDs, so you might have a bad drive. You should try swapping in another DVD-RW drive to test.
July 4, 2011 1:54:39 AM

Uninstall the driver and restart the computer. Right Click my computer>manage>device manager>CD/DVD drives> right click your DVD drive> uninstall> then restart. Then give it a try.
Related resources
July 5, 2011 9:46:03 AM

Alaskan_IT said:
Uninstall the driver and restart the computer. Right Click my computer>manage>device manager>CD/DVD drives> right click your DVD drive> uninstall> then restart. Then give it a try.

Thanks for the advice, I shall retain this for future reference, but it didn't solve the problem. The dvd player blinks at the front for about 10 seconds, then a message comes up on the screen telling me to insert a disc !
July 5, 2011 9:50:23 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
I have had DVD drives fail but still usable for CDs, so you might have a bad drive. You should try swapping in another DVD-RW drive to test.

Thanks , I wasn't aware of that. I will try that if I can't fix it.
!