Xp dvd will not play

Hello,my Dell Dimension 5150 desktop drive D says it is dvd-rw. it will play a cd but not any dvd or even recognise a blank dvd-rw disc. MS fixit says I do not have a problem ? !! I have cleaned the lens to no avail
4 answers Last reply
More about play
  1. I have had DVD drives fail but still usable for CDs, so you might have a bad drive. You should try swapping in another DVD-RW drive to test.
  2. Uninstall the driver and restart the computer. Right Click my computer>manage>device manager>CD/DVD drives> right click your DVD drive> uninstall> then restart. Then give it a try.
  3. Alaskan_IT said:
    Uninstall the driver and restart the computer. Right Click my computer>manage>device manager>CD/DVD drives> right click your DVD drive> uninstall> then restart. Then give it a try.

Thanks for the advice, I shall retain this for future reference, but it didn't solve the problem. The dvd player blinks at the front for about 10 seconds, then a message comes up on the screen telling me to insert a disc !
  4. PhilFrisbie said:
    I have had DVD drives fail but still usable for CDs, so you might have a bad drive. You should try swapping in another DVD-RW drive to test.

Thanks , I wasn't aware of that. I will try that if I can't fix it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video DVD DVD RW Windows XP