Full Span Dual Monitor Gaming?

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hello,

ive got a dual monitor setup. clearly not the best for fps, but the fact that i cant get it to work is annoying me. i have two 19" monitors hooked up to an 8800gt. i cant find a specific setting on the nVidia control panel, or options in any game. i know Crysis and CS are supposed to support multi-monitor gaming but the options that are supposed to be there aren't. any solutions? or questions for me that will help you help me...? :)

thanks!
-xae

Ares_

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Believe me, there is no easy way, nor acceptable way to setup dual monitors for gaming. Even if you get it to work, there will always be a black line right down the middle. This makes it impossible to play a game. I have only ever used dual monitors to play oblivion (only game that i got 2x 19 inches to work on) and it was a dreadful experience. Although I still use two monitors (19 and 24) I only use one for gaming. If you want to do multi-monitor gaming, I suggest buying a third monitor and getting a triple head to go by matrox. This removes the black line problem by giving you a center monitor.

I suspected as much. It might be better to sell the 19" monitors, and replace them with a single 24" or 30" monitor.

A typical 19" monitor at 1440x900 has 1.3m pixels. A 24" monitor at 1920x1200 has 2.3m pixels, almost the same as two 19" units.
A 30" monitor at 2560x1600 has 4m pixels and a big price tag. You pick.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Ares_

dont worry, im going to have a 3rd pretty soon. actually gona have 4-6 soon. just debating whether to get 6x22" or 4x24". thats besides the point though, i just want to know how to do it. thanks for the advice anyway. by the way, they will be connected through SLI cards, not matrox. how were you able to get oblivion to work on two screens? thanks@

Ares_

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I have not been on in a long while.

SLi does do multimonitors, but it does not have profiles. The only games that support multimonitor through SLi are ones that already support the resolutions. These include FSX, supreme commander, world in conflict, WoW, and oblivion. These games get the FoV correct and the resolution correct. Likewise, games that support custom resolutions should be able to do it; however, you will most likely need a FoV hack to get the aspect ratio correct. Someone called Racer_S (?) has many hacks. You should go to the Widescreen gaming forum for more information. However, if you want to do it correctly, TH2G is the way to do it.