Help with first time Big Dish owner

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
July 23, 2004 7:24:45 PM

HI,
I just picked up my first C-Band system yesterday. The guy gave it all to me
for free, just to get it out of his yard. This is what I got:

10' dish\LNB with 1 year old turning motor.
General Instrument Innovation 450i
Motorola 4Dtv DSR905
and one big steel pole (very rusty)

He tells me that everything worked perfectly before his wife disconected it.

All the caballing had been cut to shreds by his wife. I mean even the
cables coming off the back of the units were sniped at about 3". Luckily not
the power cords.

How do I know if what I have includes Ku-Band and how many conductor cable
do I need to buy to run between the dish and my units inside? I have seen
RG6 cable , 5 conductor C-Band cable and 6 conductor satellite cable.

Hope this is the right NG,
~Ben

More about : time big dish owner

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:24:46 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:24:45 GMT, "Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote:

>HI,
>I just picked up my first C-Band system yesterday. The guy gave it all to me
>for free, just to get it out of his yard. This is what I got:
>
>10' dish\LNB with 1 year old turning motor.
>General Instrument Innovation 450i
>Motorola 4Dtv DSR905
>and one big steel pole (very rusty)
>
>He tells me that everything worked perfectly before his wife disconected it.
>
>All the caballing had been cut to shreds by his wife. I mean even the
>cables coming off the back of the units were sniped at about 3". Luckily not
>the power cords.
>
>How do I know if what I have includes Ku-Band and how many conductor cable
>do I need to buy to run between the dish and my units inside? I have seen
>RG6 cable , 5 conductor C-Band cable and 6 conductor satellite cable.
>
>Hope this is the right NG,
>~Ben

You will get better answers at rec.video.satellite.tvro.
Cables needed, get the 6 conductor typebundle of cables.
It should have two RG-6 for the c and Ku LNBs,
To 16 gage wires for the motor power, (in one cable)
motor position sensor and return(in one cable),
Polarisation power and sensor wires (in one cable).
To know if you have C and Ku band look at the feed
horn, if there two lnbs, one smaller than the other
then it should have both.
A good straight pole is essential for a big dish in
order to track the Satellite arc precisely.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:16:53 AM

"Ben" <none@none.moc> wrote in message news:<15aMc.60$Nu4.55@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...
> HI,
> I just picked up my first C-Band system yesterday. The guy gave it all to me
> for free, just to get it out of his yard. This is what I got:
>
> 10' dish\LNB with 1 year old turning motor.
> General Instrument Innovation 450i
> Motorola 4Dtv DSR905
> and one big steel pole (very rusty)
>
> He tells me that everything worked perfectly before his wife disconected it.
>
> All the caballing had been cut to shreds by his wife. I mean even the
> cables coming off the back of the units were sniped at about 3". Luckily not
> the power cords.
>
> How do I know if what I have includes Ku-Band and how many conductor cable
> do I need to buy to run between the dish and my units inside? I have seen
> RG6 cable , 5 conductor C-Band cable and 6 conductor satellite cable.
>
> Hope this is the right NG,
> ~Ben

The following website offers free technical support, a dealer list for
each State, programming information, and more:

http://www.satellite911.com/
!