New system setup, feedback before purchase?

darkness12

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hey there, I've been doing my homework and am trying to get the most for my money for a mid-ranged gaming computer. I've been looking for info everywhere and am going to make my final purchase later tonight.

I just ran into this site (the forum part of it :)) and would like some quick feedback on my setup + an answer to 1 question.

1) the build:

***=relates to my question.

First off, how is the build? :)

My only question at the moment has to do with my case, this will be the first time I ever build a computer myself (will have some help from a cus) and I'm a bit nooby when it comes to computer parts so bear with me. Keeping the size of the case in mind, would a bigger nVidia card fit into my setup?

I'm thinking of replacing the Radeon card with an nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition from XFX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150330
because I've used nVidia my whole life and have heard some negatives with ati, primarily their updates/patches. Would that card fit/work with my setup + would it be a good choice in general to take the place of the radeon pick?

I appreciate all feedback!!

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I would suggest saving a few bucks and getting better RAM by going with -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

I'm not sure about the antec 300 fitting those components, but I will suggest you check out the coolermaster 690 for only $20ish more. It's my personal favorite and a highly recommended one here. I would stick w/ the 4870 personally, however they're pretty close and it might come down to personal preference.

darkness12

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
The case you recommended is a bit bigger than I'd like, max dimensions can't exceed 19 inches.

I'm sure the case will fit it all, the build was recommended by some ppl on another forum so I doubt they'd give me a faulty comp setup just because of the case size, I'll look into a slightly bigger case though.

As for the video card, if I did want to go nVidia would I have to change any other component of my setup? Like how would SLI work (if it's even possible)? If not possible than its all good heh.

Oh, and the ram looks good, thanks for than :)

darkness12

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

The PSU is overkill but it'll be something I use in the future + it's pretty good price. SLI with nVidia might be an option if it will fit.

As for the video card, if I did want to go nVidia would I have to change any other component of my setup? Like how would SLI work (if it's even possible)? If not possible than its all good heh.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Lol, I typed SLI when I meant Crossfire, go beer. Anyways I'm not seeing SLI support for that mobo.

Crossfire looks to drop the PCIe to 8x for both slots. So maybe a better GPU path would be get something cheaper now (4830?) and replace it later. I'm running an 8800GT for now and I plan to drop something bigger in a couple of years down the line.

darkness12

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
The Radeon in the list is just from what was recommended to me.

I'd like to use nVidia but apprently my mobo was made for Crossfire and not SLI? If I wanted to go nVidia now and just forget about Radeon or Cross fire and might go SLI in the future what mobo should I replace with what I've got set now?

darkness12

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I think I'm set, with future use of SLI in mind here is my build:

Ends up being ~$1,100 after rebates. Gonna make purchases tomorrow, still open to feedback but I think I may be set.