My xp windows explorer is not available

kevin2852

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hello,
I am running a dual core E7300 with Windows XP SP3. All has been fine for years, but suddenly I have a Windows Explorer error which advises that " Windows is unable to open this file and must know what program created it. No program on the computer will open from an icon. I tried to perform a system restore but was again told that " Windows cannot open RSTRUI.EXE and must be told what program created it " This is very hard to rectify because I cannot even open any of the diagnostic tools. Windows is effectively not working although, visually, everything is fine. Now I understand that this is possibly viral but nothing, including my Trend Antivirus will open.
I would prefer not to have to use the original Windows disk to repair XP because it will take me 3 to 4 days to update from my original Pre-Service pack 1 disk to SP3 and then to completely reinstall all of my software.

On the credit side however, I have discovered that if when I get the warning that windows needs to be told what program created the file, it offers the opportunity to search the web and that is how I got here.

Can anyone help me very quickly to solve this problem as I am way behind with my assignments and cannot even look at my emails.

Thank you,

Kevin

Interesting, an infection that allows Internet access.

OK, first, download and run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. It does not install, it just runs.

If it can't run, restart computer in safe mode and try again there.

To start in safe mode, re-start computer poke, (not hold) the F8 key repeatedly until a screen comes up with choices on how you want to start your computer. Choose Safe Mode (no need of networking or command prompt, so don't choose on of those).

Get the tool
HERE

Click, "Skip the details and download the tool"

After that is done the machine may work better.
Next, click
HERE and do what it says.

kevin2852

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hi, I thank you for your assistance, I was not able to get the Malicious Software tool to open but when I changed to safe mode, it allowed opening. It found 2 occurrences of a file which appeared in the Windows system and replaced them with a new version from my original disk. Once I was able to restart and enter Windows again, I still found that nothing would work, however, now that I was able to examine the Windows files though, I discovered that MSconfig.com was one of the infected files and it had no boxes checked. so virtually none of Windows operating systems was working. The only reason that I had retained internet access via a background loop was that IPCONFIG had not been erased. If it had been, I would have had to reinstall. Thank you for the catalyst assistance, It has saved me a lot of stress.