EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard Help

cjohnson2136

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Ok I need help my old motherboard got fried during a thunderstorm and now I am using EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard as my new motherboard. The computer turns on but no signal to the monitor I have checked the cables and everything is securely plugged in and plugged in correctly this are my parts

OCZ Platinum XTC 8GB Dual Channel PC6400 Memory - DDR2-800MHz
OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready
I also have a internal wireless card

If anyone can help that would be great

iori276

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
OK i think i got the same thing. does your MB leds come on? Should be a blue/green/yellow. but no fans power up and nothing starts up, then you got what i got and i would like to know what happened as well ( as well as no POST LED hex/sounds)Hence why i posted about a new MB today. For one if your MB got fried check your other cards and such. your PSU might need to be changed to. Might be bad or "damaged" and might cause some issues.

cjohnson2136

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I get the blue green and yellow lights and my fans DO come on I had taken my computer to a repair shop to find out my motherboard was fried and they checked all my other parts and said her were in good working condition

G

Odds are, that if your mobo got fried, thats not the only thing that got fried.

There could be several issues with your system. MOST of the time, when the mobo is taken out, the CPU is fine, however, there are times where the CPU gets fried too.

That said, the probably cause of your issues are:

Powersupply blown (may still power, but not have a good PG signal [power good]) to the mobo, buy a powersupply tester, they come in handy, or read online how to test the outputs of your PS using a multimeter.

RAM bad, most people believe that when your RAM is bad, you should Always hear a beep code from your MOBO, but that is not always the case. Several times bad ram is indicated by no video, no beeps.

Video card, check it for any blown, or swollen capacitors, if it took a lightning strike, it will have swollen caps.

All other PCI cards, (mainly modem), I hope you dont still use a modem, but if you do, it probably is fried.

Dont hook anything up to your mobo besides 1 stick of RAM, the power supply and cpu/ fan. NO hard drives, optical drives or anything. If the PS went out, it could have taken those out too.

If this is too much, I would recommend taking it to a repair shop for full diagnosis. You dont want to do this: Get a PS tester, have it say its bad, buy a new PS, only to find out that that wasn't your only problem. Kind of like how you already bought a new MOBO, and that didnt fix it. Dont waste your money, again, if this is over your head. Most shops charge $50 or less for a diagnosis, and that would be cheaper than buying 1 part trying to fix it.