New Asus Board doesn't want to accept WInodws install

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hey, I just bought the Asus P5KPL-CM Motherboard and it has been nothing but a nightmare trying to get windows XP pro to install with it, I've formatted it before trying to install XP but it just keeps rebooting over and over never getting past the XP logo with the blue bar, I managed to get another hardrive from a working computer with xp pro installed to work with this MOBO, but it only worked for about 5 minutes, all the while driver windows popping up all over the place to try and to locate any kind of drivers through windows, as soon as I clicked on something it began to reboot and never made it back to windows, I updated the bios on this board with the latest update from asus as well as someone suggested, didn't help, cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is I tried to install XP with SP2 integrated as many other forums suggested, that didn't work either, I've tried every setting in the bios, I must have spent 3 days straight day in and day out trying everything to no avail, one poster suggest disabling the PCI-E setting before installing, tried that too, no go..I'm about to give up, don't know what else to try... if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts would love to hear it..Thanks

I have
Asus P5KPL-CM Motherboard
Brand new 450watt power supply
Pentium D 3Ghz Dual Core
2 gig DDR2 800mhz Ram
(which i tested with Memtest)
5 year Old 40 gig Western Digital HD IDE
(sufficient for my needs
(that works perfectly in another pc)
LG DVR/RW

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
follow up: after reading about 8000 things all over the net now I'm thinking it could just be that I need a more powerful power supply like 550W +...hope this works!

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Yes, tested ram with memtest, 0 errors, bought a 600 watt psu but that didn't solve the problem, tried running the cpu on 2 different boards, same results, just keeps rebooting at the windows logo during a fresh install after formatting.. I don't see why an IDE drive wouldn't work as opposed to a sata MadMagik but I'll try and get my hands on a sata drive and see what happens, this rebooting during an install does seem to be a common problem among many others throughout out different forums, many have said weak psu, dying cpu, ram incompatibility, defective board, use integrated XP-SP2 to load possible missing drivers which i did, I think the only thing left to do is try different ram and sata drives, can't think of much else to do at this point with what I have on hand, thanks for all replies!!!

P5KPL-CM's are an excenelt motherboard - sell alot of them with minimal issues - whatever issues you have are with assembly or components used

did you attach the HSF correctly, use proper matched ram and a decent PSU?

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
tested memory, put cpu in another computer, swapped harddrives, swapped psu all thats left is the video card and MB you might have gotten a bad one it does happen on rare occasion.

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
oh by the way the board does recognize the IDE drives, it's a cutting out problem just as the hard drive begins to spin up to begin thr windows installation.. the CPU fan runs at 2500+ rpm no post beep errors, I did mange to get into windows with another hard drive but only for about 3-4 minutes before it rebooted after i clicked around a little trying to load drivers...I guess that means the CPU is good, maybe it is an incompatibility with this board and IDE drives...SATA here I come...

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
apache_lives: hsf installed fine with thermal paste not all gooped on fanrpm 2500+...memory is kingston 2gigsDDR2 (kit of 2 sticks) 800Mhz..did a memtest 0 errors.but did notice one of the ram ports was picking up the ram as DDR3 although in Memtest it stated that the ram was ddr800 400 Mhz...found that strange but i'm no expert with memtest..video is onboard by the way, it's a real challenge this little bastard!!

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Check to be sure that you have a) no bad sectors on you HDD, particularly in the boot sector (if your MBR is dead you'll get into a boot loop which is what this sounds like, and b) tell your BIOS to set up in "default" or "optimal" settings until you get a good boot. Use a tool like IBM Disk Manager (WD, Seagate, all of them have similar tools) to analyze your HDD. They'll prompt you to ignore bad sectors if found. Re-install XP only after checking your HDD.

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
the hdd works perfectly on another computer, th eone im using right now as a matter of fact! I've reinstalled windows several times on it without any problems (not because of the hd being bad but windows just being a pain) im using the hdd right now on my older AMD computer im using to type this post! so it works! but it doesn't work with the ASUS Asus P5KPL-CM or another ASRock Dual-Vsta-775
tried the optimal settings in bios, tried resetting the MBR, tried just about everything..I think it's just the motherboard or possibly the p4 CPU 3.ghz chip that I picked up for a good price, and also got the same results on another ASrock rock board, I somehow did mange to get this hdd im using now to work with that board a couple of times for a couple of minutes before crashing, so not sure what the heck is going on here! ram checked out fine with memtest.. it's a mind boggling mystery!! thanks for all replies guys!!

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I wonder if i should try to install Vista if that might work...it could just be a driver issue with xp and this board..also I wonder what the chances are of the CPU being fried, it is a P4 'D' 3Ghz with overheating protective shutdown after all...anyway somehow managed to get into windows for a very short time there like 3-4 minutes before crashing, but got in through using this hard drive i'm on now with windows already installed, seems a fresh install after formatting won't work! it could just be a driver issue with xp and maybe all i needed to do was throw Vista on there as much as I dislike that OS...maybe it is a bad board and I should just swap it for another with the vendor before it's too late..but i had the same looping rebooting thing happen with another board as well..maybe i should have the CPU tested on a known working computer at a shop for a few bucks, that might just save myself alot of trouble...

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Problem Solved!!! Turns out this new combo I put together does not like my XP Pro CD! It much rather prefers my old Win98Se CD! Crazy *** I tell you!
Anyway this MF'r works! Now just gotta get a different copy of XP cause I can't stand Vista and should be smooth sailing with this P4 3Ghz! YEAH!!

Thanks for all suggestions and advice fellow builders!

p.s. for future reference if you can't install XP after a fresh format and all other systems and components seem to check out fine on your new build, then it could very well be your installation disc! 6 days straight on this bitch and I finally got er running with my old Win98 disc, go figure...

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hey thanks MadMagik!! So i tried to upgrade with my xp cd over the win98, same thing as before, reboot,reboot,reboot, etc...won't install because some of the hardware on that board namely pci card, pci programmable interrupt controller and pci universal bus is not compatible with xp! it warned me during the GUI pre-install.. WTF?? anyway uninstalled xp, removed itself and went right back to 98, this is definitely retarded! a newer board that can't run xp but runs 98, sheesh...now it's just a question of what to do next about the right kind of drivers..but I'm still happy this thing's running now...pretty soon I'll be able to play around with some adobe CS4 after effects video editing and special effects crap which I could not do on my older computer an AMD 1800, need something called CCS2 technology in the CPU.. fun stuff! ok cool, outta here for now.. :)

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
:eek:

Oh man, I wish I could help you more but I havent seen such warning in my life. I hope someone will come with some sensible ideas. Anyway, good luck!

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Update! Finally got Xp Pro installed after a week of brainbusting effort along with some elbow grease of course! so here's how I did it.. took the hard drive out of the P4 problem computer that wouldn't let me install XP but would for 98 and put it in an older P3 1 gig, installed XP from there onto the drive no problems then took the drive out and moved it back to the P4 problem computer and boom! she fired up like a champ!! all 3 Ghz of her! then installed necessary drivers, check the device manager for problems, all resolved.. What an ordeal I tell you!! but it was worth it in th end!! NOw I can finally move on with my life!! C YA!

techguy76

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Hey Stevieyus,

I have the same mobo trying to install drivers for win98 for chipset, lan, audio, etc. couldn't find them on the asus site... do you have a link to them by chance?

much thanks!

Stevieyus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
sorry I was never able to get any drivers for win98 on that board, I'm running xp pro again now, thank god! I've had enough of 98.. I ended up buying a new Sata Western Digital hard drive and the xp install went fine with most drivers pre-installed for me, the rest were not that hard to get, I don't have any links for you, dump 98 and go with xp, vista sucks, good luck! :bounce: