Hybrid sli

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2009 4:16:15 PM

hi i need help getting hybrid sli to work am going to install a fresh copy of vista i have the m3n78 pr0 motherboard and geforce 9800gtx+ graphics card whats the best way to install the drivers and where do i have the monitor cable plugged into when installing 9800gtx drivers i understand you only install one driver for graphics card and the onboard graphics .last time i tryed it when i installed the graphics card driver i had the monitor cable plugged into the 9800gtx i then booted into bios and enabled hybrid sli and as the system was rebooting i plugged the monitor cable into the onboard the driver then tryed to install for the onboard graphics as well but then i got a error saying Incompatible display adapter has been disabled. At least one display adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter"i then rebooted and then it installed for both so when i went into device manager it had 9800gtx device and 8300 device both with the same driver installed am not sure if the green icon should appear on the task bar or do i need to install the hybrid sli driver separate . and also i done the same set up recently the same driver install but when installed the hybrid driver at the end i got the icon in taskbar everything seem to work fine till i found out when the card was in save power mode it was getting hotter than it would in performance mode so it didnt realy turn off at all i dont know if you need a sli power supply or is ther something esle am doing wrong so if you can help me with this i will be pleased thank you all

More about : hybrid sli

February 21, 2009 6:23:21 PM

Things to be Observed:
1) This(For your case, Hybrid Power) works only in Vista.
2) Download & Install Latest Driver for 9800GTX+ from nVidia.
3) Download & Install Hybrid SLi driver from Asus website.
4) Connect VGA Adaptor to Onboard GPU(mGPU).
5) Go to Bios & enable Hybrid SLi.
6) Set mGPU Frame Buffer Control to 'Manual' & set it to 256MB minimum.
7) When the System BIOS is setup correctly and the Hybrid SLI drivers are installed on a hybrid-enabled system, the Hybrid UI icon displays in the Windows Vista system tray.
8) On a Hybrid SLI system that is capable of supporting HybridPower mode, the user can program the Hybrid API to automatically put the system into Save Power mode after four minutes of system idle. This is done through the Windows Vista Power Plan settings. Set it to change when idle for 3 or 4 minutes.
February 22, 2009 7:48:59 PM

meodowla said:
Things to be Observed:
7) When the System BIOS is setup correctly and the Hybrid SLI drivers are installed on a hybrid-enabled system, the Hybrid UI icon displays in the Windows Vista system tray.
8) On a Hybrid SLI system that is capable of supporting HybridPower mode, the user can program the Hybrid API to automatically put the system into Save Power mode after four minutes of system idle. This is done through the Windows Vista Power Plan settings. Set it to change when idle for 3 or 4 minutes.

do i need a sli certified power supply for hybrid power to work properly
Related resources
February 22, 2009 8:45:08 PM

meodowla said:
Things to be Observed:

another thing is when i do a clean install of windows and when i install the chipset driver 15.24 version it also has an display driver in the list do i need to install that for the 8300 gpu or can i miss it out and just use the 9800gtx driver for that what i did was install the 9800gtx driver for the 8300 the latest version wich installed ok i then installed the geforce 9800gtx card then when i rebooted the driver wich i already installed installed for both onboard and 9800gtx so they both used the same driver like its supposed to do thanx for your help
February 22, 2009 8:46:32 PM

meodowla said:
Things to be Observed:

another thing is when i do a clean install of windows and when i install the chipset driver 15.24 version it also has an display driver in the list do i need to install that for the 8300 gpu or can i miss it out and just use the 9800gtx driver for that what i did was install the 9800gtx driver for the 8300 the latest version wich installed ok i then installed the geforce 9800gtx card then when i rebooted the driver wich i already installed installed for both onboard and 9800gtx so they both used the same driver like its supposed to do thanx for your help
February 22, 2009 11:43:19 PM

o.k.......No need to install the display driver bundled with the chipset driver... the driver for 9800GTX+ from nVidia only needed for both.
February 23, 2009 12:10:35 AM

colflo101 said:
do i need a sli certified power supply for hybrid power to work properly

nope.. Hybrid SLi actually uses less power... you need enough PSU to power up 9800GTX+, processor, board & peripherals.
February 23, 2009 7:35:55 AM

meodowla said:
nope.. Hybrid SLi actually uses less power... you need enough PSU to power up 9800GTX+, processor, board & peripherals.

the power supply i bought was very cheap it was about £30 and its 850watt would you say i need to get a better more trusted brand the one am using is a Alpha Power 850W thank you for your time and advice
February 23, 2009 8:31:16 AM

I'm not sure about that... but in a topic posted in toms forums it says correct voltage is made available in branded PSU's...
February 23, 2009 8:40:14 AM

meodowla said:
I'm not sure about that... but in a topic posted in toms forums it says correct voltage is made available in branded PSU's...

ok thanks mate looks like i will have to buy a good branded one
!