Sign in with
Your question

CPU Core Speed

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 2:37:42 AM

Hey guys, I have question about the the core speed. No matter how many times I increase the multiplier whether it be x8, x10, or x16, my core speed will always revert back to x4 at 800+ mhz. For example I increased the multiplier to x16 in the BIOS my core speed on CPU-Z would be around 3200+ mhz for a little while and then all of the sudden it goes back to 800+ mhz at x4. Sometimes the core speed and multiplier numbers go up and down at random, so I am wondering if its because it increases when I am doing something that needs the cpu to run faster and then decreases when I do something that doesn't. Maybe I am doing something wrong here. What I'm trying to do is run my cpu at a stable speed of around 3.2 ghz (stock speed) or higher when overclocking. This is my first time trying to overclock or increasing the speed of the cpu. Another thing is on CPU-Z it says core speed is around 840.0 mhz and the multiplier at x4, but on AMD overdrive it shows core speed at 840.0 mhz and multiplier at x16, so I am confused as to how this is possible. I increased the multiplier in the bios and enabled a feature called CPU Overclocking to manual and chose an option on that feature to overclocking 5%. Can anyone help? Here are my build's specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x2 555 BE with stocker cooler
MOBO: ASUS M4A785td-v evo
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw Series 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
PSU: Corsair TX650W
HDD: Maxtor 6L200R0 ATA

Here are some screenshots of CPU-Z and AMD Overdrive:

Thanks guys!

More about : cpu core speed

July 28, 2010 11:15:34 AM

If you go into your motherboard bios, you should try reseting it back to Default settings, there's an option for it somewhere, if there is still problems, then you should return you CPU or motherboard... Hope this helps...
m
l
July 28, 2010 7:30:21 PM

I dont think there is a problem with his cpu or mobo.I overclocked my cpu the same way you did with that program and it happended to me the same as you. What i did was i went to the BIOS and then put the exact info of the ghz i wanted as in the program showed and saved it then restarted the pc and bingo.... but like scalia says there's an option for it in the program to make save your overclock settings and apply it as default. its not just overclock it and then hit apply and close the program otherwise you will have to repeat always the same thing everytime you start your pc....
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2010 11:56:15 PM

I read from someone's post somewhere online (dont remember) that the feature called "Cool and Quiet" is enabled by default in the bios on a lot of the ASUS mobos and that the feature helps save power by automatically changing the core speed depending on the task being done. Some say its a feature called "C1E" being enabled in the bios might also be the reason for this. I'm gonna test it out see if it works disabling both of them or just one of them.
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:37:32 AM

Well I just set the CPU Overclocking feature in the bios to Auto and raised the multiplier to x16 to run the cpu at stock speed (3.2ghz). The Cool and Quiet feature is still enabled though and the C1E feature was disabled by default and I'm going to leave C n Q enabled until I fully understand how to overclock. But I think disabling C n Q will enable me to really start overclocking since the goal of the C n Q feature is to save energy and overclocking my build or any build certainly ain't gonna save energy.
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:47:59 AM

jsagaga02 said:
I read from someone's post somewhere online (dont remember) that the feature called "Cool and Quiet" is enabled by default in the bios on a lot of the ASUS mobos and that the feature helps save power by automatically changing the core speed depending on the task being done. Some say its a feature called "C1E" being enabled in the bios might also be the reason for this. I'm gonna test it out see if it works disabling both of them or just one of them.

i think that when you overclock, it automatically disable Cool and Quiet funcion.....
m
l
July 31, 2010 1:48:34 AM

Really? Well its ok I won't be overclocking again soon anyway. Maybe in the near future when I understand it more and buy a better aftermarket cpu cooler then the stock one Im using now.

Thanks for your help guys! :) 
m
l
August 1, 2010 7:24:13 AM

Yeah...
m
l
!