Sign in with
Your question

Overheating CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 5:32:52 AM

Hey guys,
It's been a while since i post but here's the deal hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

I have a terrible overheating problem, a while back my computer started shutting down by itself minutes after i turned it on, read a little and figured out it was the CPU overheating so i opened up my computer whiped off the artic #5 and reapplied it thought that could be the problem, and the computer stopped shutting down on its own, however the temperatures are still ridiculously high.

I downloaded speedfan to check it out and here are the reading while im not running anything just my desktop idleing:

System 50
CPU 48
AUX 52
HD1 25
HD2 22
HD3 26
Core 0 62
Core 1 61
Core 2 59
Core 3 63

When I open up a game like Left4Dead 2 the CPU and cores all jump to around 80, and now i just got starcraft 2 everything jumps to over 85 and quickly my computer freezes. My fan speed is at 2100 according to Speedfan (i wish i knew how to kick it up a notch).

Here's my system's specs:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D Pro
CPU: Intel Corei5 750@Clockspeed
GPU: ATI Radeon 4890@StockSpeed
RAM: Kingstom HyperX 4096MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
PSU: Antec 750W
HDD: WD Raptor 70gb, WD 750gb 7200RPM, WD caviar black 1tb 7200RPM
Case: Antec 902

I think the tower's fans might not be working correctly, or working at all, but im not sure if that could affect that actual cpu tempratures that bad.

What should i do to reduce the tempratures, and how can i check if the tower's fans are working correctly?

Thanks

More about : overheating cpu

July 28, 2010 2:39:58 PM

Can't you see if the tower fans are working? Not rocket science - either they're spinning or they're not.

If you have quality thermal compound available remove the CPU and re-apply the compound (do this the right way - clean off old compound with a coffee filter and 91% Alcohol...), but a likely solution is to replace the cpu cooler with a quality cpu cooler/fan.

What are the temps in the room? That could also be a factor.
July 28, 2010 5:23:02 PM

Lets see, i did an excelent job of removing the last thermal paste i know that much, ill try reapplying, the room temperature is definetly not a problem im in the middle of winter down where i live, and the computer is beside a large windows, the temp inside must be 15C tops, and outside its usually around 0 - 8 C, any suggestions on i5 heatsink? i can't seem to find many
!