Sign in with
Your question

AMD 2500+ Barton on ASUS A7V8X-X

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 6:52:57 AM

With the release of Starcraft II, I have decided to attempt reviving my old Half-Life 2 build I made in 2003. I went to Microcenter today and bought a new Radeon HD4650 and 1GB of RAM (DDR-2700). I remember hearing long ago that it was very easy/popular to overclock these CPUs from 1.83GHz to 2.20GHz. This would be a great speed boost to help bring my PC back up to speed with the rest of society, but I can't seem to get it right.

I go into the BIOS and select "2200MHz" from the drop-down menu and it will boot and XP recognizes it running at 2.20GHz and it doesn't run hot and everything works for about 15 minutes. Then, for no reason, Windows will REFUSE to boot. Even if I set the BIOS settings back to "1833MHz", I have to re-install Windows with the clock speed at "1833MHz". I've done this twice now. The first time it told me that "WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" was corrupt and could not be recovered. The second time I would get BSOD telling me "IQRL_IS_LESS_EQUAL" or something similar and told me that any new hardware might be affecting my system during boot.

I have 1GB DDR-2700 stick and 2x512MB DDR-2700 sticks installed on an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo. Could this have to do something with the FBS of the overclocked CPU and the slower memory? Is this mobo no good for O/Cing? Can anyone help a newbie out?

THANKS!! :D 
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2010 7:11:58 PM

your memory is the problem. read your memory specs carefully and count the banks on each stick and apply what you have read. it may be that you have too many banks installed of pc2700.
August 16, 2010 2:39:32 AM

choose a lower memory divider if your motherboard can support it
!