Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking CPU/RAM to 1600

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 6:56:20 AM

Greetings all!

I'm putting together a new build in the next week or so (hopefully ordering parts tomorrow).

Relevant components (pardon the manufacturer links, not sure if newegg links are ok here):

Motherboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=870%20Extreme3

CPU: Athlon II 440 -

RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL Ropgaws DDR3 1600
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

CPU Cooler: Kingwin XT1264 (+Arctic Silver 5)
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/cooling/cpu_coolers/xt_1264.asp

My plan is to bump the reference clock to 240 in order to get the ram to run at it's listed 1600MHz speed. This is based on a bit of guesswork (1333/200 = 6.665, 1600/6.665 = ~240). 240x15 (CPU multiplier) = 3600. So I would be running my ram at stock speeds, and a reasonable overclock for a 440 of 600Mhz (20%).

Now, I'm guessing I'll have to lower the northbridge/HT multipliers, but I'm not really sure if that's necessary or even an option on this board.

Just want to check my logic/math here and see if there's anything I'm overlooking. Would it make more sense to just tweak the memory multiplier and use the BIOS tools to handle the CPU overclock? I'm just assuming since the CPU multiplier is locked that all the BIOS can really do is tweak the ref clock and other multipliers, and I'm not sure if that will leave me with an optimal RAM speed as well.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 4:16:10 PM

Welcome to THG =)

No need to do any math, just lower your ram frequency to its lowest value (800Mhz), then raise your FSB (making sure you do not go over 1600Mhz as far as the ram goes) in increments till it BSODS, Then back off a bit and you are set. Don’t forget to raise your CPU voltage to at least 1.45v, later on you can lower the voltage if needed. Set the HT and CPU/NB frequency @ around 2000Mhz (1.28v) for now, later on you can lower or raise these values if needed as well.

You should be able to hit at least 3.6/3.7Ghz with that cooler ;)  .

Keep us posted.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:14:25 PM

Only hit 3.4 @ ~1.475-1.5CPU voltage. Brought it back to 3.3 @ stock voltage. Will probably leave it there for a while, dropping in another 4GB of ram, which will make a bigger difference than 2-300Mhz as far as I'm concerned.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 3:30:48 PM

Neural_Blaze said:
Only hit 3.4 @ ~1.475-1.5CPU voltage. Brought it back to 3.3 @ stock voltage. Will probably leave it there for a while, dropping in another 4GB of ram, which will make a bigger difference than 2-300Mhz as far as I'm concerned.

more ram is not going to give you a higher OC, what are your load temps?
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:07:32 PM

Of course it won't give me higher OCs, 2-300Mhz won't make as much practical difference as doubling the ram...clock speed is more of a pissing contest than anything else at these speeds. Probably get more use out of L3 cache than a few hundred MHz.

Running ~50C on prime95. Ram is not the OC bottleneck, as it's rated to 1600 (240FSB at the standard multiplier). The northbridge speed was getting up around 2200. I'm not sure if it's better to drop the multiplier and see if I can get more headroom there. Voltage seemed to help, but I don't really want to overvolt the CPU/NB. Might try again if my system ever slows down, but I doubt I'm going to see any slowdown in anything I do.

I'm running a stock Q6600 with 8GB of RAM at work right now, 2-3 eclipse instances, webserver, ~40 tabs in chrome/FF/IE, haven't restarted in maybe 2 weeks. Still runs like a champ.

Home machine will have 8GB soon, +1GHz faster on a newer architecture. I think it'll be fine for a while.
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:20:23 PM

Sorry if that came off a little bitter, I just kindof facepalmed at the whole "More RAM won't make you OC more" comment.

No hard feelings, I'm sure you did the same thing reading my "I'm adding more RAM" comment with the way you interpreted it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2010 5:48:56 PM

Neural_Blaze said:
Sorry if that came off a little bitter, I just kindof facepalmed at the whole "More RAM won't make you OC more" comment.

No hard feelings, I'm sure you did the same thing reading my "I'm adding more RAM" comment with the way you interpreted it.

I misunderstood your post, thought you meant that you would be able to squeeze a bit more speed out of your CPU with more ram.

m
l
August 6, 2010 5:54:33 PM

Yep yep, thanks for bearing with me. I may mess around with this a bit more over the weekend. Any things to look at besides CPU/Northbridge voltage to get a little more headroom?
m
l
!