Connecting an Asus VH226H to my computer and cable box.

Bephwyn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I'm building a new rig, and found a really nice monitor with HDMI (to connect any future game consoles), DVI (for the computer) and VGA connections. I want to connect my computer to my cable box in my room from COX. There are the following connections on the back.

Component (Yellow, Red, and White)
SPDIF (orange) Audio in (white) Aux (red)
4 pin s-video

Now, is there anyway I can hook up this monitor to it and get sound too? I would have to buy a 3.5mm to component audio splitter though for audio.

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

i take it those are the cables on the back of the cable box.
if so the best bet would be to take everything into the computer with a capture card. you can get a usb one for under 60 bux that will deal with svideo ( 4pin) and stereo audio ( red and white cables) most tv tuner cards will also work if you set them to channel 3 and just use the coaxial cable out from the cable box. this way you can also record the content to your HD

there are some composite/svideo + audio to HDMI converters out on the market. no idea how well they work. but google svideo to hdmi and you'll find some. cheapest i saw was 100 bux.

or trade in your cable box for one with HDMI out.

or buy a fairly expensive audio reciever that will deal with hdmi and video upconverting.