Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Q9400 overclocking, can't get it stable

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 8:24:57 AM

Hi guys.
HELP HELP HELP!!! i NEED this STABLE!!
Im semi-new to overclocking, but I know the in's and outs, so don't hesistate to get complicated with words.

My specs are as follows

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
Processor: Intel Q9400 processor running at 3.20GHz(2.66GHz stock)
RAM: 2x Strontium PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM 2GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GTS250
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Blue Orb 2

My settings are as follows but finding it hard to get stable

CPU vCore: 1.2875V(bios) 1.248V(CPU-Z idle) and 1.223V(CPU-Z under load) i know its low(have tried up to 1.38V)
CPU PLL: 1.65V (1.55 stock)
CPU Termination/VTT:1.30V (1.20 stock)
CPU reference:0.80500V (stock)
MCH core voltage:1.26V(1.10 stock)
MCH reference: 0.76V (stock)
ICH I/O:1.55V (stock)
ICH core: 1.1V (stock)

ram timings are 6-6-6-18 at the moment (stock)
ram voltage: 1.90V
frequency: 800MHz
FSB to RAM ratio 1:1
system memory multiplier(SPD): 2.00D
FSB: 400
Multiplier: 8x

i hope thats enough info... i tried for weeks and weeks to get it stable.. ive increase vCore up to 1.38V and made abit of diferrence.. upped northbridge to 1.36V and got a bit more . changed ram timings to 7-7-7-21 and it kinda helped a bit..

I just really need help getting this stable at 3.2GHz please... i only get about 2 hrs on prime 95 and temps of about 65C
Help me stabilize this and keep temps low and ill give you rep.. plz help
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 4:29:01 PM

It gets up to 65c with a 1.3ish Vcore? What are you using for a cooler? This might be a heat issue.
Score
July 29, 2010 12:42:58 AM

Yeh dude well I'm using core temp to log my temps and really my vcore at 1.3 gives me about 57c under load on each core, my temps are ok, mate I'll sort that out, I just need to know how to get it stable.

My cooler is a thermaltake blue orb 2
Thx bro
Score
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
July 29, 2010 8:28:20 AM

Unfortunately, maybe you have simply reached the limits of your particular chip.
Score
July 29, 2010 11:22:55 AM

Is that it? So much for a site that has been up for 14 years...
I would expect more from you guys, I ask for help on settings, and I get back comments about my chip, dude!!!!! People have hit 4.0GHz on a Q9400, don't tell me I can't hit 3.2GHz. Really gives me the .. Can someone with some form of hope and knowledge help me!!!
Score
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
July 30, 2010 2:59:31 AM

Whoa, calm down here. Insulting people isn't going to get you anywhere.

Quote:
my temps are ok, mate I'll sort that out,

So did you "sort this out"? Heat will cause problems as you try to OC. You need to deal with it as it comes up, not later. 65c is close to the thermal limts of the chip and it will start to throttle which is why I suggested dropping the temps. 57c is better, but I'd still try to keep it closer to 50c.

There are other things to try, but I was waiting to hear back about the temps. I've never heard of your ram, are you sure 1.9v is enough? Cheap ram will sometimes need 2.0+ in order to run. Did you drop your CPU multiplier down to 6 to make sure your system can handle 400MHz? Did you run memtest on your ram to even see if it was good? You didn't list your PSU, any chance its an older one and having issues powering this all?

Also keep in mind that jsc is right. Not all chips will OC to the same level. It IS possible that yours is only good for 3.0. Sucks yes, but its possible. I'd start with the list I just wrote down and see if you can get going again.
Score
July 30, 2010 3:16:07 AM

I dunno dude, I'm pretty sure my power supply is *** hey realized it's a 350watt dude might be a bit low
Score
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
July 30, 2010 3:23:52 AM

I don't know if a new PSU will enable you to hit higher OCs, but it should be replaced if its an old POS PSU that might fry your system when it blows.
Score
July 30, 2010 4:06:20 AM

Nevermind man, I'm gonna get a new power supply and a new case and a coolermaster v8. Hopefully I can overclock a bit more in that hey
Score
July 30, 2010 12:28:22 PM

im running a Q9400 at 3.2Ghz rock solid and flawlessly so I can bet you can get it stable eventually. Im running it on an ASUS P5Q Turbo so all I had to do is set the FSB to 400 and i was good to go. after market heat sink really helps.
Score
July 31, 2010 12:37:09 AM

steadfast1984 said:
im running a Q9400 at 3.2Ghz rock solid and flawlessly so I can bet you can get it stable eventually. Im running it on an ASUS P5Q Turbo so all I had to do is set the FSB to 400 and i was good to go. after market heat sink really helps.

That's cool bro, that's cool, but really it's not helping me at all to get it stable:) . Thx though
Score
July 31, 2010 9:20:48 PM

axxeon said:
That's cool bro, that's cool, but really it's not helping me at all to get it stable:) . Thx though

hah , guess i forgot to tell you what my OC numbers are. Yesterday I pushed her up to 3.4Ghz no problems. FSB set to 425. VCORE I put to 1.326 and that works for me. I left all the other settings on AUTO. I set my ram to 5-5-5-15. thats DDR2 1066. at 3.4 you might try setting your ram to 1300 if you want I donno what kinda ram voltage you got but mine is at 2.02

looking at your v-core 1.28*** thats just to low for the q9400, you gotta up it up to 1.32***** dont worry tho the max vcore spec on this chip is 1.3625. you got lots of leeway left on that.

even with a 3.2GHz your looking at a vcore of around 1.30**** to keep it stable.

good luck i hope this kinda helps you man.

Iv tested my settings against the PRIME95 stress tests for 3hours and some on minutes with no errors at all.
the hottest core temp was 60C but the other 3 cores where in the high 40's low 50's.

idle temps were around 30 - 35C on all 4 cores.
Score
August 1, 2010 1:33:59 AM

Alright well I've found my problem. I just bought a coolermaster cm storm, a coolermaster v8 cooler and a new 650w powersupply.. I remember using a power supply calculator and it said that my power ysuage was 350w which was the wattage of my previous power supply.. I ran my first overclock on prime last nite and it's still going.
1.30v vcore
1.38v termination
Default ram timing
2.00v vdimm
1.20v mch/northbridge core
Oh and temps are 54c max

That's it... Thx guys
Oh and it's rock solid now at 3.2GHz
Score
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 1:39:21 AM

Hopefully this "650W" PSU is a good one. Hopefully your problems will stay fixed.
Score
August 2, 2010 10:12:23 AM

damnit man

ok... well long stroy short... i got a new case... coolermaster cm storm scout... a new power supply... casecome 650w adn a new cooler... coolermaster v8... and ive now tried to keep voltage at 1.30. and cpu termination at 1.36. and ram at 2.0v and mch core at 1.2v .. everything else on auto... but only is stable on rpime for around.... 8 hrs.. and then crashes.... need help.... temps are just under 50c max

why cant i stablise it... is 1.38 termination voltage too high... can i go higher... and safely
Score
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
August 2, 2010 12:02:15 PM

Have you ran memtest? Is that new PSU any good?
Score
August 2, 2010 12:32:39 PM

Nah actually I havnr... I'll check it out
Score
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2010 12:58:36 PM

axxeon said:
damnit man

ok... well long stroy short... i got a new case... coolermaster cm storm scout... a new power supply... casecome 650w adn a new cooler... coolermaster v8... and ive now tried to keep voltage at 1.30. and cpu termination at 1.36. and ram at 2.0v and mch core at 1.2v .. everything else on auto... but only is stable on rpime for around.... 8 hrs.. and then crashes.... need help.... temps are just under 50c max

why cant i stablise it... is 1.38 termination voltage too high... can i go higher... and safely

You know what? Your attitude stinks. Responding in a childish way will gain you nothing I can assure you. :pfff:  You come here expecting to be lead by the hand to OC your CPU and do not even give us the benefit of complete specs of your PC. Like what wattage PSU you was using or the brand PSU you replaced it with.

Did you ever test your ram with memtest?

I think you received some great info that enabled you to get where you are now.

Try reading this Link to gain a little more knowledge about what you are doing.

Then if you are still having problems come back and ask them. :sol: 
Score
August 2, 2010 1:12:05 PM

If anybody on this forum tells me what they want to know, I would be happy to... My attitude stinks.... I got pissed at the start because they are responding in a way completely irrelevant to my question... I asked how do I get this stable... And I get things like you get temps like 65c at 1.3ish vcore... I know these people are trying to help.... But I if I was in there position... I would be more helpful.... My psu Is Casecom ADK-A650 650W PSU With 14CM FAN and MODULAR CABLES

Dude seriously.... Tell me what you want to know... AND I'LL TELL YOU... I MAY HAVE BAD ATTITUDE BUT I'M NOT STUPID... sorry for sounding like a.... I've just been at this or weeks man... Plus schools killing me ATM... Help would me much appreciated
Score
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2010 3:46:25 PM

Quote:
I got pissed at the start because they are responding in a way completely irrelevant to my question... I asked how do I get this stable... And I get things like you get temps like 65c at 1.3ish vcore

Yep..., a very relevant question. Heat is a OC'ers night mare. The temps you have reported are dangerously high. Since we do not know how long you tried to make your CPU work at those temps and perhaps even higher temps you could have damaged your CPU.

Quote:
i tried for weeks and weeks to get it stable

Which means you do not know or understand why you are not successful. Being in school you certainly know the value of research pertaining to what you are about to do, in this case OC your CPU. Take the time to read the link I gave you.

I understand your frustration but there are no short cuts to OC'n. Maybe you get lucky with just a few changes in BIOS and maybe you get the results you are describing.

I have not heard of the ram you are using so can not speak of its reliability or compatibility with your M/BD. Here is the ram compatibility link that Gigabyte has at their web-site for your M/BD. These charts are usually not complete and all inclusive as far as what memory will and will not work with your M/BD.

Quote:
My psu Is Casecom ADK-A650 650W PSU With 14CM FAN and MODULAR CABLES

Once again I have no experience with that brand of PSU but if it only has 1 14mm fan............, just seems a bit small to me. But that is my opinion. All of my PSUs have at least 1 80mm fan and up to a 120mm fan for cooling. They all cost more than $100.00 US. Here is the link for Casecom.

Quote:
Help would me much appreciated

Unless some one else has something to add I believe you have received about as much help as we can give you given the current information you have provided. Knowing how the CPU voltages ( Vc, PLL, Vtt, etc.) work together is important to understand since you can not use Auto settings.

One last note. Refrain from using expletives when you post at THGF again. I will not edit them out of your posts next time I see you using them.
Score
August 3, 2010 3:29:12 AM

First thing if you read the whole thread, I stated that I got s new coolermaster v8 and temps won't go above 50c.... ... 2nd thing is how Is it even possible to have a power 650w psu with a one and a half cm fan.... Maybe you should read it again and realize it says 14cm... Or 140mmm dude... I'm sorry if I've been a total ass on this thread... But I havnt gotten sufficient help.... I'm trying to help you guys help me as much as I can but really... When it comes to " a 14mm fan is a bit small", I'm thinking I'm dealing with people no more experienced than I am... At the start of the thread I explained that I know the inns and outs.... In you run prime fr about 2hrs and it crashes you should loosen your timings and up the vdimm a bit... Now at the start when I said 65c, that was off the top of my head and that's my bad.... So many temps to remember.... Please guys.... I'm not an idiot at this ***.... So don't treat me like a tard.... I apologize for any aggravation I have caused... And I appreciate your help..... Please tell me what you need to know... I'll try my best.... Now in terms of irrelevance.... Heat of my processor is not gonna effect my stability... Especially when max is 70c.... I realize that vtt should be close to vcore... And mch should be pushed up a notch... And ram runs better with overclocks, with a bit more voltage.... I don't realize why this would be so hard to answer....If I don't no what I'm doing, EDUCATE ME, don't criticize me...
Score
August 3, 2010 3:48:51 AM

Close this thread please... I'll start a new one with update info
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
a c 95 à CPUs
August 3, 2010 4:10:17 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!