Sign in with
Your question

Inexperienced Overclocker with an e8400

Last response: in Overclocking
July 28, 2010 2:13:52 PM

Hi guys, I have read the Overclocking guide and I have tentatively dipped a foot into the Overclocking ocean and I have a few questions I am hoping people can help with.

My system:
e8400
Gigabyte motherboard (will need to edit this when I get home to check exact model, at a guess the EP45 ds3, but cannot be sure)
Corsair 2gb 800mhz RAM
Asus CPU cooler (again will need to check at home which type, its a tall bugger)
Win XP
PSU 750W
8800GTX

I made sure the multiplier was set to 9, in addition to this the motherboard seems to allow me to adjust this by 0.5. So, in total my multiplier is 9.5

I played around with the FSB multiplier and I believe I was able to get to 357mhz before the computer became unstable. So, currently I have OC'd the CPU to 3.4ghz, this is with no voltage adjustments.

I know this is a bit dependant because depending on people setups etc. the OCing can vary, but does 3.4ghz seem a standard kind of number before voltage adjustments? When I start playing with voltages...what kind of CPU temperature is considered safe?

As my RAM is 800mhz, does this mean no matter what happens my FSB will be limited to 400mhz? So the best OC I could hope for would be 3.8ghz? (9.5 x 400mhz)? Or is it possible to push the RAM beyond 400mhz, and if so does that require increasing its voltage?

Apologies for what may seem like silly questions, I have read the guide but it is a lot to get my head around as a newbi OCer, so any advice and tips and answers to my questions is greatly appreciated
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 10:54:33 AM

asteldian said:
Hi guys, I have read the Overclocking guide and I have tentatively dipped a foot into the Overclocking ocean and I have a few questions I am hoping people can help with.

When you said that you read the guide, I assume you mean this one:
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Here's another that you may not have found:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

asteldian said:

I know this is a bit dependant because depending on people setups etc. the OCing can vary, but does 3.4ghz seem a standard kind of number before voltage adjustments? When I start playing with voltages...what kind of CPU temperature is considered safe?

OC settings depend on the setups and all the variations in the components. How far you can go on stock settings depends a lot on the CPU.

Keep the core voltage under Intel's recommended maximum limit of 1.45 volts. Keep the load temps under 70 C.

asteldian said:
As my RAM is 800mhz, does this mean no matter what happens my FSB will be limited to 400mhz? So the best OC I could hope for would be 3.8ghz? (9.5 x 400mhz)? Or is it possible to push the RAM beyond 400mhz, and if so does that require increasing its voltage?

Two points about the RAM. First set the System Memory Multiplier to 2.0. That means at stock settings, your FSB freq will be 333 MHz and your memory clock will be 667 MHz. Second, you may be able to push your RAM farther. Assuming that you have DDR2 RAM, set the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts. Relax the timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 or 5's-15 to 6's-18. That may let you get the stability that you will need at the higher speeds

And finally, keep in mind that YMMV.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2010 2:14:56 PM

3.8GHz is a good speed for that chip. It might run faster, or it might not, but if you get to 3.8 you're doing good.

You'll need to watch your cpu temperatures too.
July 29, 2010 8:05:05 PM

Thanks all for the answers!
!