Are ATTWS handsets interchangeable with Cingular

Last response: in Network Providers
February 13, 2005 12:40:21 AM

Can someone answer this question. I have been unable to get a straight
answer. If I buy a phone that is for the Cingular system, will it work if I
put my ATTWS sim card into it?

Thanks
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:40:22 AM

"James Wettje" <jwet2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can someone answer this question. I have been unable to get a straight
> answer. If I buy a phone that is for the Cingular system, will it work if
> I put my ATTWS sim card into it?
>
> Thanks

It will work on the ATTWS system only, only then if it's "unlocked".

bamp
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 1:33:01 AM

I'm still a bit confused. Will a cingular phone work on my att account with
my sim card in it? Also I'm not sure what you mean by unlocked.

Thanks

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "James Wettje" <jwet2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Can someone answer this question. I have been unable to get a straight
>> answer. If I buy a phone that is for the Cingular system, will it work if
>> I put my ATTWS sim card into it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> It will work on the ATTWS system only, only then if it's "unlocked".
>
> bamp

Related resources
February 13, 2005 1:42:29 AM

In article <xuvPd.40078$QS5.74@trndny06>, jwet2000@yahoo.com says...
> I'm still a bit confused. Will a cingular phone work on my att account with
> my sim card in it? Also I'm not sure what you mean by unlocked.
>
> Thanks

Phone companies put lock on the cellphones so you can not use other
operators simcards into the phone. So even when technology is the same
when you put diffrent operator's sim card phone will not accept the
card.
Now... if we are talking about AT&T and Cingular .... I ASSUME that
cingular phones would still recognize cigular sim cards only, so your
only chance is to find on the website way to unlock cellphone yourself
or ask Tech in the store to do this. Question is if Tech would want
(know how) to do this.

AP
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:34:08 AM

> Can someone answer this question. I have been unable to get a straight
> answer. If I buy a phone that is for the Cingular system, will it work if I
> put my ATTWS sim card into it?
>
> Thanks

It may or may not. Some of Cingular's World Phones were sold unlocked.
AFAIK all 850/1900 GSM phones were sold locked to Cingular.

What kind of phone is it? If it's a Nokia, it'll be easy to unlock.

TH
February 13, 2005 7:12:25 AM

In article <420EA083.6090606@example.net>, user@example.net says...
> > Can someone answer this question. I have been unable to get a straight
> > answer. If I buy a phone that is for the Cingular system, will it work if I
> > put my ATTWS sim card into it?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> It may or may not. Some of Cingular's World Phones were sold unlocked.
> AFAIK all 850/1900 GSM phones were sold locked to Cingular.
>
> What kind of phone is it? If it's a Nokia, it'll be easy to unlock.

Yeap... thats true..... Nokia phones are very easy to unlock.

AP
!