Sign in with
Your question

Moving old dual boot system on two drives to new single drive

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2010 4:56:58 AM

I have a PC that I built myself about 5 years ago and have been slowly upgrading. When I originally built it I had 1 IDE 80G HDD and installed XP on it. Later I bought another IDE 250G HDD and installed Windows 7 on it. I planned on using both drives, so didn't remove the original drive when installing W7 on the new one. What happened was the boot partition/sector stayed on the original and one was never installed on the new one and I had a dual boot PC. This never really caused me too many problems so I didn't do anything about it.

Now I've got a 1TB SATA HDD which is a lot faster than the other two and I'd like to have the W7 booting and running on it. Obviously I'm trying to avoid having to do a complete re-install and set it all up again. Can I combine the two older drives on the first.

I'd also like to get rid of XP at the same time. Is there a way to copy the boot partition from the HDD1 to HDD2 and then copy the whole lot to HDD3.

Any help is very much appreciated.
a b G Storage
August 2, 2010 8:21:20 PM

mullenmj said:
I have a PC that I built myself about 5 years ago and have been slowly upgrading. When I originally built it I had 1 IDE 80G HDD and installed XP on it. Later I bought another IDE 250G HDD and installed Windows 7 on it. I planned on using both drives, so didn't remove the original drive when installing W7 on the new one. What happened was the boot partition/sector stayed on the original and one was never installed on the new one and I had a dual boot PC. So XP and W7 are both installed on the 80 GB HDD? This never really caused me too many problems so I didn't do anything about it.

Now I've got a 1TB SATA HDD which is a lot faster than the other two and I'd like to have the W7 booting and running on it. Obviously I'm trying to avoid having to do a complete re-install and set it all up again. Can I combine the two older drives on the first. Use the utilities available from the 1 TB SATA mfr's website to clone the HDD with XP and W7 to the new HDD, then expand that partition to include the rest of the 1 TB. Then delete the Windows folder that contains XP. After successfully completeing those operations you can format the two older IDE HDDs.

I'd also like to get rid of XP at the same time. (See above). Is there a way to copy the boot partition from the HDD1 to HDD2 and then copy the whole lot to HDD3.

Any help is very much appreciated.
see above
August 3, 2010 12:56:33 AM

I had them on separate drives XP on HDD1 and W7 on HDD2. I've sorted it out now though and used EasyBCD to change the boot drive and now when I have only HDD2 installed and HDD1 unplugged I boot straight into W7. Now I plan to use Norton to clone to HDD3.

I also have another problem and not sure where to post this so figured I'd just continue in this thread - I can no longer copy files or folders. This first started when I installed HDD3 and at first I was only prevented from copying between partitions. Now it seems I can't even copy between folders on the same partition. Really need to sort this out or I'm stuffed. Any ideas?
Related resources
August 3, 2010 2:53:55 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've tried this with no luck, but I'll do it again.
I'm not getting an 'access denied' error message, or any other error message.
When I try to copy a file, 'Not responding' appears in the bar at the top of the destination folder window (even if it's a drive) and it just times out (returns to normal) with nothing appearing in the destination folder/drive and no error message.
I saw a thread that this could be a problem with my Dynamic Drive Overlay (whatever that is) and I need to do something to my BIOS, which by the looks of the thread and other research I've done could be over my head. Was hoping this wasn't my problem (link to that thread below).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/151092-45-cannot-copy...
August 3, 2010 4:00:47 AM

found out what the problem was - it was an app that i installed called teracopy - not sure what it was doing but i just got rid of it and everything is peachy
cheers for all your help!
!