Sign in with
Your question

My old computer crashed and I've taken out my old HD and installed it

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2010 5:53:38 AM

Hello,

My old computer crashed (Compaq windows XP) and I've taken out my old Hard drive and installed it on my new computer (HP windows 7)
I'm trying to access my old files and also use it as extra storage for my new computer, the problem is that it doesn't allow me to access my old files, I'm only able to access the ones in my shared folder. All the other ones it says that I don't have permission, so I've gone through the process of giving my self permission and I'm able to access the folder but still can't open files such as pictures or word documents even after I individually going and trying to give myself permission again.

Is there a way to get permission to the entire drive so that I can use all my old files?

What's the proper way to do this?

I'm also willing to just be able to copy my programs and files to the new hard drive and then wipe the old hard drive clean and just use it as extra storage.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2010 9:01:59 AM

Hi, go to the security settings and click advanced. Go to the owners tab and try to replace the owner with the administrative account for your new PC. Should work.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2010 10:52:07 AM

Yea, I've mention that I already tried doing that and it only gives me access to the folder but not the content inside. I'm looking to see if there's a way to gain access to all files at once.
Thanks.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2010 11:06:27 AM

If you take ownership of the folder and then select child objects to inherit permissions from the parent folder that should work. Past that I don't have a clue. Sorry if this is not much use to you.
m
l
Related resources
!