Needing to Constantly Clear CMOS on Asus M4A79-T

nacino

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Just put together my first new build in 10 yrs (wife finally let me buy all new stuff!) and I'm struggling with getting the system to boot without having to constantly reset the CMOS jumper. I changed out the CMOS battery and I'm still having the problem. Succesfully installed WIN Vista 64-bit but everytime the computer restarts it hangs. The only way to get it to boot into the OS is to reset the CMOS jumper and "Press F2 to load default values and continue" at BIOS screen. Tried running bios setup and making changes, but when I save and exit, the computer hangs again. So I reset the CMOS and start the loop over. I'm hoping someone can please help. It's been so long since I've built a brand new rig, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Mobo: ASUS M4A79T
CPU: Phenom II 955
RAM: 2x 2GB Corsair TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHXIN
PS: ANTEC TPQ-850W
VC: Diamond RADEON HD 4890
HD: WD Veloci Raptor 300GB
Optical: LG GBW-H20L

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
If you have plugged everything into the mobo that should be.AND,if there are no shorts to ground,AND you are not getting any error messages,,THEN,RMA the mobo it is not worth the hassel ,the only thing that can be even remotely suggested is to breadboard the mobo outside the case,on it's way to being replaced [maybe]..:)

2flow

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Try this: Next time it hangs, just turn off the power supply switch. Wait a few seconds, switch the power supply back on and reboot the machine. Tell me what happens.

2flow

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Now that we know it still hangs after turning off power supply, let go to the second step. Go to bios and turn off "halt on errors". REBOOT... Tell me what happens