Futureproofness of the AM3 Socket

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I am trying to find a motherboard socket that will be futureproof enough to last me for a while. I got the a 939 CPU only a few months before they announced or released (not sure) the AM2, and so I was kind of screwed with my current CPU, as there is no support for it. So now I am looking for a socket (most importantly) that will be future proof for the next couple of years and a CPU that will last me for a while. And once that CPU becomes insufficient for me, I want to make sure that my socket will be able to fit chips that came out after the chip I bought now to refit my mobo and still keep my PC up to par (sorry to word that way, I couldn't find a better way, read it a few times and it will make sense). So I looked at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674 and it seemed really good, but I don't know how future proof the socket will be. I know that i7 just came out, and it's super futureproof, but I don't know if it is REALLY worth it. With the same money I could be the worst i7 mobo and CPU, I could buy a GREAT AM3 processor, a good mobo, a new ATX case, and a bunch of RAM (or maybe just a little RAM). I WILL be doing a bunch of gaming (maybe Crysis for now, but I want to see what the future will bring, and I will definitely be playing future titles, so I want a processor that won't bottleneck my GPU when I get a new one). I WILL be doing a bunch of coding (Java, PHP, .NET stuff, SQL stuff and maybe C/C++), and I MAY do some assembly (if that impacts anything). I WILL NOT be doing anything like video encoding, mp3 encoding, or any really complex encoding stuff. I'm just going to be doing coding, gaming, and browsing. So can you tell me if the AM3 is futureproof enough for me, or whether that the i7 is SO good that I should get that instead?

Or can someone recommend another socket out now, or should I wait a while for a new one to come out?

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
By the way, as far as coding, I'm not doing any type of really complex arithmetic functions or any types of super-huge applications that require a lot of processing power.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
amd's track record in changing sockets is not so good - intel had 775 from 2005 and it is still good today with cpus even if they are not the latest. a 4.25ghz air cooled or 4.4ghz core 2 based qx9650 will beat any amd cpu made today and probaby for a while. i7 D0 stepping will be running 4.2ghz on air no problems - c0/c1 run hot above 3.8ghz

So in the same time you got am2 am2+ am3, while intel made the 775 standard, the i7/i5 are needed due to change in chipsets and memory controller.

amd was very slow to go to ddr3 - way too slow - they should spent all the marketing money on the "true quad", fusion and spider and put into ddr3...........

On one had, i say your in good shape with am3 since ddr3 will be here a while and slow econmic times translates into delayed and slowed product release

intels own i5 and 955 chipset is delayed - why? too much oem parts in channel?????

now to your question:

i am pro intel, no doubt, the new amd cpu's are very competitive - i would recommend you stay with intel due to amd being on such shaky fincial ground and the dispute of the x86 and fab shop selling - so on that ground alone i say intel

keep in mind, as an anology i owned 13 toyotas most in the 80's lets face it amercian was bad, i have had GM since the mid 90's and they the mataince is less - while GM cars have lots of little issues they do not have big ones like the 1989 4runner that rusted out in 3 years - all the doors. my 1996 started only a few years ago looking like that.

my point: i would not buy GM due to the current fincial condition of the company - 260hp cobalt is the best small rocket made even 10k more jap cars can not touch it.

i also pt a $7000 transmision in stealth twin turbo and lost a timing belt on turbo eclipse

my point! go with intel!

i still might get that cobalt but i thinking of getting another 4runner instead

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Okay, so maybe they will not still be around for a while, but do you think they won't be around for at least 10 more years? And can you give me a socket that isn't i7...the second best, and that will be supported for a while on?

randomizer

Champion

That means nothing. Most of the time you needed to "upgrade" from LGA775 to LGA775 boards anyway since the chipset and/or BIOS had no support for new chips.

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

So the Intel boards aren't anymore reliable in changing the socket?

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Good attempt to obscure reality. But in truth Intels' track record in supporting newer "socket 775' chips in older "socket 775" motherboards is MUCH WORSE than AMD's track record in changing sockets.

There are currently some users with older AM2 motherboards that are running brand new Phenom II chips. (Lucky because they could get bios updates.)

Can you tell me how many socket 775 users with one of the older chipsets are running 45nm Quad core chips?

Some people wouldn't use the word "reliable". We would use the word "honest". It's all about marketing. It really looks good if you don't change the name of your socket for a long time. Even if in reality the socket specification has changed.

It is very simple: If a socket can support a newer chip with an official 'newer' socket with only a bios update that is MUCH better than having a socket that can't support the newer chips that the company calls the same socket.

randomizer

Champion

Intel and AMD want your money and the motherboard manufacturers want your money. They aren't going to support old hardware forever, they want you to upgrade.

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

So would you guys recommend the AM3 in my situation?

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the input, I really think I might go with this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.186490

Sound good?

randomizer

Champion
In a couple of years it will make no difference. You will need a new board, that part is guaranteed. What isn't guaranteed is when you will need to upgrade. i7 will last a little while longer than AM3 (with regards to CPU performance), but it will cost you more now.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

WHOOP WHOOP fan alert
: Your statement quoted above is an opinion stated as a fact.

The truth is he would be better buying an i7 OR an AMD with an AM3 motherboard. (If he is upgrading from a 939 then he MUST buy new memory. It would not be wise to even bother with DDR2 memory at this time; he should skip it and go directly to DDR3.)

I guess some people might still build a brand new 775 system... but that would not be optimal.

tooz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

I know eventually, I need to buy a new one (even in a few years), but I want the one that would last longer, or if they're close, I'll just get the lower-price, budget AM3 socket, and with a Phenom II.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
LOL i7 is Elite in itself, whether you hate it or not.... (if you ever run out of Toilet paper, just wipe your a$$ with an amd, its green and earth friendly)

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
the LGA775 may have been around for longer than the AM2, AM2+ or AM3, however not all LGA775 CPUs work in all LGA775 sockets, sometimes a BIOS update will do it but in some cases even that won't help.
Whereas the AM3 CPUs will work in any AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket, possibly need BIOS update, but I've found that they do run even when not officially supported, the only exeption is if the wattage of the CPU is too high for some motherboards.

However I do agree that the 754 and 939 weren't around for very long at all and since they're architectually quite similar to the later AM2, I think theycould have theoretically made them compatible.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Ah, I wish for the socket 7 days again... awesome times... VIA, Intel and AMD all fit in the same socket. Upgraders' dream :love:

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
There is no such thing as futureproofing. There is always going to be some sort of roadblock when it comes to CPUs and motherboard compatabilities. Just ask any AMD user who has a Nvidia 700a chipset board what they think about AM3 chips.

Also, AMD has gone through quite a few sockets over the past 4-5 years....754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2+ and now AM3 in a span of 5 years. Socket 754 came out in 2003....AM3 in 2008. 6 sockets in 5 years, not to mention the compatability issues of some AM2 and AM2+ chips/boards and the "WTF" that 940 was.

Intel has been with LGA 775 since 2004 and just now, 4 years later, introducted a new socket (i7, LGA 1366) which is NOT replacing it......i5 (LGA 1156) is replacing LGA 775 later this year...2009.

Anybody that wants to deny or argue this is wrong. The above information is FACT.

Now if I can get my e6600, e8400, Q6600 and Q9450, to run on my socket 775 945, I'll have this superior Intel compatibility thing all figured out. 915, 925, 945, 955, 965, 975, p35, x38, p45, x48. No compatibility issue with socket 775 there over the past four years.