NoodlezNightmare

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hi there. I wasn't sure where to post this. I need some help.

My computer randomly shuts itself off. I don't know why. It can happen while I watch movies, play games, or even just sitting at desktop.

After the computer shuts off I can USUALLY turn it right back on, but I'm sure you can understand the annoyance here. There are some times where I can't turn it back on right away.

I've figured out a way to get it to turn back on though. I'll simply connect the psu to the dvd drive (i usually have them disconnected because i believed it was a power supply problem) and then the comp will be able to turn back on.

But I'd like to get some opinions on what the problem actually is, and what should be done.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm really tired of my computer doing this.

My specs are:
-----------------
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory:
2048MB RAM (2 sticks)

Hard Drive:
1TB

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Monitor:
SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)

Sound Card:
SB Audigy Audio [DC00]

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

Motherboard:
MSI K9 SLI Platinum

Could be something overheating, such as the power supply or video card. I'll assume your cpu heatsink is attatched properly. Strange that when you connect the dvd drive, it starts up. So, you may also have a bad power supply 4 pin connector. I found one by switching them around one time, so I marked the bad connector for non use.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I'm guessing you might have a bad fan somewhere and something is overheating.

I once had a PSU that had a bad fan that sometimes wouldn't start spinning when I would power on the PC. You couldn't hear a clicking or anything, but basically made the PC randomly shut off when the PSU overheated.

The next time it shuts off, before you do anything, check all the fans and make sure they are all spinning.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
If your computer is shutting down while idle (when just sitting at the desktop I assume) I doubt it is over heating. Then again it never hurts to check the temps.

Download Core Temp or Real Temp and check the temperatures. Core Temp will report 5 C higher than Real Temp FYI. If your temperatures are normal (below 60 C) while gaming you are fine. You might also not have enough voltage going to your CPU, motherboard, or RAM. Check your BIOS and report the voltages. Also check your case for potential shorts (metal touching motherboard and such).

Pending these things are fine, definitely the power supply.

Not starting up reliably is a classic sign of a under rated or faulty power supply. The first thing I would do is to replace the power supply with another one. If you can then eliminate the power supply as being the problem then it is probably the motherboard

NoodlezNightmare

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
@pjmelect/all
Say I do buy another power supply, could anyone recommend a good brand, and how much wattage i'd need? If you need more specific specs let me know.

@njalterio
Using "Core Temp" while playing Crysis at almost cranked gfx(res 1680x1050, most settings high/very high) at most I had 58° on first core, and 52° on the second. I'll check for shorts in the case later and ill let you know how that goes.

@buzznut
You mean take this one out and use another one to see if the video card is causing the problems? I have an X1800 I think is compatible. If I decide to do that, I'll say something about the results.

@Calinkula
I checked all the fans just to make they are always working, and they all seem to be spinning. Even the psu's fan. I'll check them once in awhile to keep track of them.

@o1die
I'll check and see if I have another sitting around.

Thanks all for the help so far.

For the power supply, I use antec, enermax, corsair, seasonic, or pc power and cooling. Of those, antec is the least expensive. If you can't select from those brands, get one that has at least an 18 amp rating on each 12v rail. I also like to check the shipping weight; 4-5 lbs is best.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I'd run memtest86. Just to double check that one of your memory sticks hasn't gone bad. Just google it and follow the instructions off the website. Let it run for an hour or two. Just to see.

Something you might want to check is the event viewer. Go to control panel, adminstator tools, and then go to the event viewier. See what errors are being generated in there.

Do you have any usb devices plugged in?

Are you overclocking at all?

I'd also reccomend getting some free software the checks your cpu and gpu heat tempatures. (look in bios for cpu temp, rivatuner 2.2 for gpu).

NoodlezNightmare

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I'll run memtest to check, thanks.

The event viewer has errors in the "Application section", their are "Failure Audit" in the "Security section", and errors/warnings in the "System section".

I usually have my ipod plugged in, and my bluetooth headset charging from my comp. Besides that, my mouse/keyboard, etc.

I don't think I have anything overclocked. My 8800gt may have come pre-overclocked. Is there anyway I can check/return it to stock speeds? I have no idea how.

I've used "Coretemp" to monitor my CPU temps and they are basically always below 60. It may go barely above while playing Crysis/other games.

Rivatuner says my GPU seems to be running a constant 62°C

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I guess the next thing you can help us with is what are the voltages your cpu/ram/ect... are getting. This should be in your bios.

I'm still not set that this is a hardware issue. Also make sure all your drivers are up to date.

TRENDING THREADS