Sign in with
Your question

A Phenom Heat sink should work fine with a athlon x2 right

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2009 2:51:15 AM

My girl friends brother's computer is broken. It needs a new motherboard or CPU I'm not sure. Anyways its an Intel based system but I figure I have a older amd mobo around and so far only a single core processor, but I want to hook him up with a dual core, however i don't want to spend to much. So I have the stock cpu cooler that came with my phenom II 940 and I want to buy a 33 dollar x2 of ebay. My only concern is the cooler wasn't designed to handle the heat put off by the older larger manufacturing process or should it be fine.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2009 3:06:29 AM

Yes, any am2 cpu cooler would work.

Edit: the stock hsf that comes with the X2's are really bad, you would probably see alot cooler temps from the Phenom II hsf.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2009 5:34:40 AM

The Phenom II cooler is superior to the stock coolers on the old Athlon X2s. For most of the 95W and below models all they pretty much got was a big aluminum heatsink. I think only the 125W models even got a copper base. The Phenom II cooler will do alot better.
a c 803 à CPUs
April 27, 2009 5:30:04 PM

The heatpipe cooler that comes with the Phenom II has changed little since the the first dual core Opterons so it will work just fine.
!