dafonz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Recenty got a computer from my neighbour. Its quite an old comp running a Sempron but reckoned it would do the job for the mum and sis for word processing and internet.

He showed me it running nice and dandy and then took out the HDD running the OS and gave me it. This was fine because i thought I could use a HDD with XP home already loaded onto it from another PC, hook it up and be good to go. Guess not!

System freezes on startup after POST screen.

Is it not possible to simply take a HDD out of one computer and hook it up to another and be good to go?

One other thing, is that XP home HDD I am trying to use is from an emachines computer. So don't have the copy of the OS, just a restore CD. Dunno if this makes any difference.

Any help or comments appreciated

neterciser

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
No, you can't use a HDD setup for one computer in any other unless they have identitical components. Windows (or any OS) is the last thing to be installed on a system as it needs to load all the right drivers for all the different parts (the motherboard, video, sound, network, etc) and configure them to work together. The freezed screen you see is because Windows is trying to load the wrong drivers for the machine.

Restore (or Recovery) CDs usually load only the drivers right for machine it was issued with. This is partly because it is cheaper for both Microsoft and the computer manufacturer. It also usually locked to the machine it came with to prevent unauthorised distribution of Windows and any other copyrighted software. Microsoft want you to buy a copy of Windows OS for every computer you own. By removing the Hard Drive before he gave it to you, it looks like your neighbour has forced you to so.

if you can borrow an XP disc you may be ok . Bad people download these .

You need to boot from the xp disc and do a repair install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

this basically reloads windows , and eliminates all the mb specific drivers etc . Once its done you also need to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 to turn updates back on .

Use the windows serial number you have from the machine you installed the hard drive from

You may also have to find drivers for motherboard devices , but in many cases the XP disc has drivers that work anyway .

You will have to reactivate Windows as well but only do that once the machine is running well