Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel stock fan & reusing liquid cooler & refilling it

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 29, 2010 12:37:04 AM

Hi. I wanted to know if I can overclock my Intel Core i5-680 with just using the stock fan that came with it? Is it possible to get it to 4 GHz on just the stock cooler?

Also, I have a MassCool liquid cooler and was wondering if there is any way to change the coolant in it and how can I do it? If so, which coolant can I use for it?

a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2010 1:57:16 AM

I don't think anyone will recommend you overclock on a stock cooler. It can be done in small increments, but it's not worth it... especially because a decent cooler only costs $30 or so.

Is your cooler broken or why do you want to replace the coolant?
July 29, 2010 6:17:44 PM

The cooler isn't broken. The coolant inside I believe has worn out. That's why I want to refill it with something better but it still works though. What cooler can I use to overclock my i5 680?
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 29, 2010 7:54:13 PM

What makes you think the coolant has worn out?
July 30, 2010 2:57:51 AM

It doesn't cool the AMD 9950 Black Edition processor anymore like before. I was able to cool it at 3.1 and now it can only cool it at 2.6. If I even attempt a slight overclock it will give me a bsod & shut down.
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 3:00:30 AM

The Unknown One said:
It doesn't cool the AMD 9950 Black Edition processor anymore like before. I was able to cool it at 3.1 and now it can only cool it at 2.6. If I even attempt a slight overclock it will give me a bsod & shut down.


Sounds like the CPU to me, not the cooler.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 6:12:01 PM

Might be your board or PSU not regulating your voltages correctly.
August 6, 2010 2:25:35 AM

really? so what should I do? Get rid of the cpu? Get a new PSU? I actually have a CPU on hand to replace this one & I think its better anyways.
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 5:33:09 AM

The Unknown One said:
really? so what should I do? Get rid of the cpu? Get a new PSU? I actually have a CPU on hand to replace this one & I think its better anyways.


No don't get rid of your CPU... which one are you talking about? You have another what CPU on hand? O_o

Does that cooler work with 1156 anyways? It's saying it's 1366 and 775 compatible.
You should test your cooler on multiple CPU's though before you label it useless, your 9950 may have just been worn out. Or it could be a different component, you just have to start ruling them out.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 2:21:26 PM

If your CPU isn't getting the correct voltages, you could have a faulty power supply or your motherboard can't regulate voltage as well anymore. Either that, or you have switched to a different case that has poor airflow.

Try this: pull the side off your case and blow a house fan into the side at full power. Re-run your benchmarks. If the temps go down, you have an airflow problem. If the temps remain the same, you have a component problem.
August 8, 2010 9:35:10 PM

redechelon said:
No don't get rid of your CPU... which one are you talking about? You have another what CPU on hand? O_o

Does that cooler work with 1156 anyways? It's saying it's 1366 and 775 compatible.
You should test your cooler on multiple CPU's though before you label it useless, your 9950 may have just been worn out. Or it could be a different component, you just have to start ruling them out.





Ok. Check it out. I have this AMD 9950 Black Edition Phenom X4 w/an ASUS M3N72-D AM2+ Motherboard and I was using the Masscool Liquid water cooler to keep it cool when i had it overclocked at 3.1 GHz & for a little while it worked but then out of the blue I got a BSOD, so i put it back to the original 2.6 GHz that it came as. I left it this way for some time and when i wanted to overclock it by 10% through the BIOS, it wouldn't work. I got straight BSODs & I was using the same liquid cooler. I just figure this liquid cooler is no good anymore or it needs better coolant but I don't know how to drain the old coolant & refill it w/new coolant. The other processor that i do have for this is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 which is at 3.1 GHz & I think its alot better than this quadcore & its faster. The ASUS motherboard is both AM2+ & AM2. I do have the original fan/cooler that came w/the Phenom X4 9950 BE. I don't think this cooler will work with the core i5 680 that I have. Plus I doubt it will keep the i5 680 cool if it can't keep an overclocked 9950 at 3.1 GHz. At one point, I had it at 3.2 GHz but I got BSODs after a couple of hours of it running this fast. I also thought about this ASUS motherboard because I don't think it is a good motherboard to use for overclocking anything & I got this motherboard for free. I had since taken this rig apart & started to use the Core i5 680. I know these parts still work the last time I had it running. I might put it back together again and just give it away but I have to get a case for it & a PSU & an OS & keyboard/mouse & monitor. I think this 9950 Phenom X4 BE needs the right parts in order for it to just unleash its true power...I just don't know what to get for it...I'm thinking a better motherboard, honestly. I still want to use the RAM it has which are 2 Crucial 1066 MHz 2 GB each 240-pin DDR2. I want to save the Athlon 64 X2 for another build, really. It's a good dual core processor. Its pretty powerful.
August 8, 2010 9:40:28 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If your CPU isn't getting the correct voltages, you could have a faulty power supply or your motherboard can't regulate voltage as well anymore. Either that, or you have switched to a different case that has poor airflow.

Try this: pull the side off your case and blow a house fan into the side at full power. Re-run your benchmarks. If the temps go down, you have an airflow problem. If the temps remain the same, you have a component problem.




I am wondering about the voltages like you said but in the BIOS it only gives me 2 options: ignored or 3 something. I left it at ignored. I checked my PSU & its good. I have a PSU tester from Antec. Its pretty good. I have to buy a fan or buy a case fan that can blow a lot of air & sound like a jet engine. Haha Thats funny. :) 
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2010 10:59:34 PM

You keep saying about crashes but if you think the coolers the problem you need to look at temperatures

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 7:38:54 AM
Share

The Unknown One said:
Ok. Check it out. I have this AMD 9950 Black Edition Phenom X4 w/an ASUS M3N72-D AM2+ Motherboard and I was using the Masscool Liquid water cooler to keep it cool when i had it overclocked at 3.1 GHz & for a little while it worked but then out of the blue I got a BSOD, so i put it back to the original 2.6 GHz that it came as. I left it this way for some time and when i wanted to overclock it by 10% through the BIOS, it wouldn't work. I got straight BSODs & I was using the same liquid cooler. I just figure this liquid cooler is no good anymore or it needs better coolant but I don't know how to drain the old coolant & refill it w/new coolant. The other processor that i do have for this is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 which is at 3.1 GHz & I think its alot better than this quadcore & its faster. The ASUS motherboard is both AM2+ & AM2. I do have the original fan/cooler that came w/the Phenom X4 9950 BE. I don't think this cooler will work with the core i5 680 that I have. Plus I doubt it will keep the i5 680 cool if it can't keep an overclocked 9950 at 3.1 GHz. At one point, I had it at 3.2 GHz but I got BSODs after a couple of hours of it running this fast. I also thought about this ASUS motherboard because I don't think it is a good motherboard to use for overclocking anything & I got this motherboard for free. I had since taken this rig apart & started to use the Core i5 680. I know these parts still work the last time I had it running. I might put it back together again and just give it away but I have to get a case for it & a PSU & an OS & keyboard/mouse & monitor. I think this 9950 Phenom X4 BE needs the right parts in order for it to just unleash its true power...I just don't know what to get for it...I'm thinking a better motherboard, honestly. I still want to use the RAM it has which are 2 Crucial 1066 MHz 2 GB each 240-pin DDR2. I want to save the Athlon 64 X2 for another build, really. It's a good dual core processor. Its pretty powerful.


Once again, I would guess it's not the cooler. I used to have a P4 overclocked from 3.0 to 3.5 for years, and after a certain point, I was forced to lower it slightly. Same story with a Phenom II X3. (I have air, not liquid)

Whether this is the case or not, just test the cooler on something else and rule it out. Or use a different cooler and compare the temps. You don't have to refill that type of a cooler.
August 9, 2010 2:34:08 PM

simon12 said:
You keep saying about crashes but if you think the coolers the problem you need to look at temperatures





Alright. I'll check the temps.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 5:34:23 PM

Seriously...just do the fan test...it will tell you if its airflow or your cooler's capacity to remove the heat.

Simple.

Once you determine that, figure out if it's a failing component, faulty mount or bad cooler.
August 20, 2010 2:58:11 PM

Best answer selected by The Unknown One.
!