Is there a size limit for Volumes under WP Pro? (Looking at getting a 250GB
drive, will I need to partion it to smaller volumes?)

Brown

If you format the drive in NTFS, AND you have SP1 AND your motherboard
supports 48-bit, you can format the drive in one single partition if you
want. I have a 200gb drive in two partitions... one at 10gb and the rest in
one very large partition for video editing. I'd say it's a 190gb partition,
but of course after formatting, and allowing for manufacturer's
'advertising' a 200gb drive is not a 200gb drive.

It's actually 193,697,116,160 bytes which is a total of 180gb.

See the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"Brown" <frank@mta-inc.com> wrote in message
> Is there a size limit for Volumes under WP Pro? (Looking at getting a
> 250GB
> drive, will I need to partion it to smaller volumes?)
>
> Brown

Thanks,
My system meets the criteria, video editing is exactly what I'm trying to
set up for.

Brown

> If you format the drive in NTFS, AND you have SP1 AND your motherboard
> supports 48-bit, you can format the drive in one single partition if you
> want. I have a 200gb drive in two partitions... one at 10gb and the rest
in
> one very large partition for video editing. I'd say it's a 190gb
partition,
> but of course after formatting, and allowing for manufacturer's
> 'advertising' a 200gb drive is not a 200gb drive.
>
> It's actually 193,697,116,160 bytes which is a total of 180gb.
>
> See the KB article at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
> "Brown" <frank@mta-inc.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a size limit for Volumes under WP Pro? (Looking at getting a
> > 250GB
> > drive, will I need to partion it to smaller volumes?)
> >
> > Brown

I've had some DV-AVI files up to 66gb in size which is the primary reason I
keep my partition so large. It does take rather a long time to defrag
though if it's more than half full. Usually the 66gb files are only there
temporarily.... I can always recreate them if necessary, but I like the room
for at least two of them at once!