• G.SKILL
  • RAM
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2010 4:49:42 AM

I bought this mobo + RAM combo on the recommendation of a user here:

GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The G.SKILL ECO only requires 1.35v. The downside is, this mobo defaults to 1.5v, and I don't see an option for 1.35v. There ARE lower options than 1.5, just no 1.35.

So if I understand correctly, this RAM is currently getting .15v more than it needs to operate at stock. Could this extra voltage damage it? Should I be overclocking the RAM in order for that extra .15v to see use?

Or, if you have experience with this board, am I missing something in the BIOS that would let me set it to 1.35v?

EDIT: My voltage options are 1.320, 1.420, 1.520, etc. The default is 1.520. My mobo manual says my DRAM Voltage Control should be 1.350v - 2.400v, but that's not the case (unless I'm mis-understanding something).

More about : skill eco amd board problem

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2010 7:30:44 AM

Go with 1.32V, if it's unstable then 1.42V, I doubt it will damage the chips that much, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when it says it can run at 1.35V, it doesn't mean it can't run at 1.5V, it just has the ability to run at 1.35V.
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:02:30 PM

Turned out to be memory timings + AMD's crappy memory controller (according to G.SKILL).

For anyone else with the problem, I had to set the timings to 8-8-8-24-1333Mhz and operate in single-channel mode. G.SKILL said the AM3's memory controller doesn't play nice with DIMMs in dual-channel mode.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 12:23:06 AM

deepruntramp said:
Turned out to be memory timings + AMD's crappy memory controller (according to G.SKILL).

For anyone else with the problem, I had to set the timings to 8-8-8-24-1333Mhz and operate in single-channel mode. G.SKILL said the AM3's memory controller doesn't play nice with DIMMs in dual-channel mode.

That's not true, the reason you were having issues is because the first thing you do when you are done with a build is boot/manually key in timings/frequency/voltage, then you mess with the other settings like CPU/NB/SB/HT etc..

Did you make sure that the ram you purchased was on the manufacturers QVL list?

I have an AM3 board with and AM3 CPU and my 4Gb's of ram are running fine in dual channel mode since day 1.

m
l
August 6, 2010 1:11:38 AM

OvrClkr said:
That's not true, the reason you were having issues is because the first thing you do when you are done with a build is boot/manually key in timings/frequency/voltage, then you mess with the other settings like CPU/NB/SB/HT etc..

I did that. The manufacturer's specs (7-8-7-24-1600mhz-1.35v) were completely unstable (not like I can even go to 1.35v on an AMD board anyway). G.SKILL has admitted to this issue, but say it's not their fault due to some errata on page 84 of some AMD report. I can dig up the thread if you care. The BIOS defaulted to 9-9-9-24-1333Mhz anyway -- but I never bothered to test that because you're supposed to manually dial in the settings first.

The only hint that AMD might not play nice with this RAM was a blurb that the stuff was "specifically designed for Intel." Which sounds like a wad of marketing bullshit (nVidia - the way it's meant to be played!). Turns out it wasn't just a blurb. The manufacturer settings just don't work for AMD (even at 1.5v). Wish they were kind enough to leave a note on the box about that, but no, you had to either figure it out for yourself or research it online.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
I have an AM3 board with and AM3 CPU and my 4Gb's of ram are running fine in dual channel mode since day 1.

I see you're using Mushkin (which I wish I'd done). They have a reputation for playing nice with AMD+Gigabyte boards.

This was a bonafide case of standard practice (like, you know, correctly following the instructions on the freakin' box) just not working. OC-ing is something that I don't really care much about (it's a gaming rig and I've beaten Crysis), so I wasn't trying to overdrive anything out of the box.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 5:44:02 AM

deepruntramp said:
I did that. The manufacturer's specs (7-8-7-24-1600mhz-1.35v) were completely unstable (not like I can even go to 1.35v on an AMD board anyway). G.SKILL has admitted to this issue, but say it's not their fault due to some errata on page 84 of some AMD report. I can dig up the thread if you care. The BIOS defaulted to 9-9-9-24-1333Mhz anyway -- but I never bothered to test that because you're supposed to manually dial in the settings first.

The only hint that AMD might not play nice with this RAM was a blurb that the stuff was "specifically designed for Intel." Which sounds like a wad of marketing bullshit (nVidia - the way it's meant to be played!). Turns out it wasn't just a blurb. The manufacturer settings just don't work for AMD (even at 1.5v). Wish they were kind enough to leave a note on the box about that, but no, you had to either figure it out for yourself or research it online.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

I see you're using Mushkin (which I wish I'd done). They have a reputation for playing nice with AMD+Gigabyte boards.

This was a bonafide case of standard practice (like, you know, correctly following the instructions on the freakin' box) just not working. OC-ing is something that I don't really care much about (it's a gaming rig and I've beaten Crysis), so I wasn't trying to overdrive anything out of the box.

you should be able to run your ram at 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 1.320v, check your CPU-Z XMP profile :

then once your are done with the timings/frequency/voltage, run an instance of memtest or play a game to make sure the ram is stable. Its highly unlikely that your ram will overheat at 1.520v, they are low volt modules that normally run up to 1.65v without overheating. I run my ram at 2.0v sometimes and they won't hit 35c no matter what so you should be fine. Keep us posted ;) 
m
l
August 6, 2010 6:00:42 AM

For XMP-1600 my CPU-Z recommends 7-8-7-24-2t at 1.35v (what's on the box)... but with a tRC of 40?

I don't know. I'm not a huge RAM buff and I'm even less of an OC buff, but 40 tRC seems pretty high! Could that be due to me running in single-channel?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 6:17:11 AM

deepruntramp said:
For XMP-1600 my CPU-Z recommends 7-8-7-24-2t at 1.35v (what's on the box)... but with a tRC of 40?

I don't know. I'm not a huge RAM buff and I'm even less of an OC buff, but 40 tRC seems pretty high! Could that be due to me running in single-channel?

Quote:
Could that be due to me running in single-channel?

no, all you need to do is adjust the timings correctly, but what I am trying to explain is the fact that you should run your ram with looser timings just to make it easier in finding the "sweet spot". Then later on you can tighten them if needed, for now try this :

8-8-8-24-33-2T @ 1600Mhz 1.320, if it locks up keep the timings the same and give it some voltage. Nothing is going to happen to the ram, trust me I had OCZ 1066Mhz low volt modules and it would take .8v+ to kill them. As long as they stay warm to the touch you are fine, if they are HOT to the extent of burning your finger then you already know what to do.

Open CPU-Z and make sure it says "dual channel"

also make sure you have the ram in the correct slots, both modules go under the same color..

m
l
!