Sign in with
Your question

Help with GA-P35-DS3L onboard ethernet

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2009 9:46:51 PM

We had a storm over the weekend with lots of lightning, I was out of town when it came through, but when I returned home I found our AT&T router would not turn on and had apparently been damaged by some sort of power surge during the storm, along with a couple of cable boxes. Now that all of those items have been replaced, my computer is still saying that the network cable is unplugged, but the internet works fine on every other computer in the house.

Is it possible that the power surge damaged the onboard ethernet portion of my motherboard?

What should I do?

Thanks!

-Kurt
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 23, 2009 10:21:36 PM

Try a different port on the router and a different cable. If that doesn't work, then you know that the port is defective.
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 23, 2009 10:22:58 PM

Go to windows control panel and check the device manager under "system". If your lan device is disabled, it will have a mark next to it in the hardware section, and you can try reinstalling the device driver. If all is well, then try a cheap pci lan card. I got one for 88 cents on sale at frys electronics. The regular price is about $6. It's cheaper than replacing the motherboard.
Related resources
June 25, 2009 1:09:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a nice ethernet card for a good price??

I've never shopped for one before.

-Kurt
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 2:15:21 AM

Either a link or the make/model would help.
June 25, 2009 10:31:16 AM

Link is up.

Would that card work for me? I'm ordering stuff from monoprice anyways and would like to get the card at the same time.

Thanks!
June 25, 2009 1:09:14 PM

if you have an empty pci slot, any card should work. If the router is 1000 Mbps you should get a card capable of that (not mandatory)
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 1:23:47 PM

A card is cheaper than the mobo, but if lightning croaked your ethernet port, the possibility of other damage can't be overlooked. I'd consider this a short term solution, as you may need a new mobo anyway.
They cost a little more, but if your router is wireless, consider a wireless adapter. That way, even if you ultimately replace the mobo, you have added a capability you wouldn't otherwise have.
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 3:29:26 PM

krtismo said:
Link is up.

Would that card work for me? I'm ordering stuff from monoprice anyways and would like to get the card at the same time.

Thanks!
It should work fine.
July 4, 2009 6:01:42 PM

Well, it seems my worst fears are coming true.

I installed an ethernet card and everything was working again. Now today my computer has become completely unstable. It has been locking up or crashing about a minute or two after startup. I'm guessing that the motherboard suffered other damage from the lightning, and its just beginning to show up.

Would you agree? Should I replace the motherboard?

Thanks!
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 6:12:59 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that the motherboard suffered other damage from the lightning, and its just beginning to show up.

Entirely possible; transistor 'junction punctures' due to high dV/dT can be small enough to allow the transistor to work - but leakage across the 'hole' will degrade it worse over time; just a guess - we can do some more troubleshooting, but will need more comprehensive info on your actual hardware; always possible you've got a stick of RAM that's 'going', too...
July 6, 2009 2:20:27 PM

How should I troubleshoot this?

I would like to find the failing hardware.

Thanks
a c 148 V Motherboard
July 6, 2009 3:11:48 PM

Component-level diagnosis and repair on a multi-level motherboard is almost certainly beyond the capacity of any equipment you are likely to have. I certainly don't have it, and other than obvious, visible damage to easily accessible components, this kind of repair isn't something I'd consider even remotely likely to succeed.
January 9, 2010 11:53:51 AM

alright, i know this thread is 6 months old however, i was having this issue and i finally fixed it. The problem was that the ethernet port in the back is nvidia thus it needs the nvidia ethernet drivers. I installed this and it worked instantly. I hope this helps anyone to is having trouble.

link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.23.html
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 12:16:07 PM

Dunno what your 'solution' is about - the P35-DS3L uses a RealTek RTL8111B LAN chip...
January 9, 2010 1:18:02 PM

ya but the weird thing was that without the drivers installed it wasn't even showing up in the device manager.
!