mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Im currently thinking about getting a SSD as a main drive for windows. I mostly do movies/gaming on my system and need a decent amount of space for a main hard drive. Looking for around 100 to 150gb SSD in that range. I was looking at the Corsair F120 and was wondering what people think of that drive maybe someone who has it can give me some feedback on it.

Also I have heard that with time SSD drives lose performance as they age/used more, is this true?

And for price range im looking at around $350 Canadian.

And my current system specs:
i7 860@ 3ghz
8Gb Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600 ram
Sapphire 5870 toxic
74Gb western digital Raptor (main drive)
300gb Seagate (back up drive)
Creative Fatality X-Fi platinum
22" VeiwSonic wide screen monitor
Asus Maximus III Formula Motherboard

Solution
Should see some sales on the 100->128 gig 2nd generation SSDs. While these drives are slower than the "Newer" models. Real life differences may not be worth the premim cost. Benchmarks are like - close only counts in hangernades (SP) and horseshoes. The 80/160 gig Intel G2's might come down in price and/or be on sale as the newer models with the SF controllers perform better than Intel.

If looking for the best performance, get one with the SF controller. The OCZ C300 is probably the tops, but that is using SATA 6 (the Vortex-2 on sata 3 is very close. The Intel, while still great, is runing 3rd and dropping as others are adapting the SF controller, believe Patriot just added a new line.
First of all, what OS are you running? And what mobo?

Windows 7 has a feature called TRIM, that will help the drive "self optimize." This keeps the drive from "...lose performance as they age/used more,..."

And on Intel based motherboards (X58 or P55 chipseets), the ACHI function also helps, kinda.

My suggestion would be go with a little smaller SSD, say 60-80GB, and get another HDD for data/media. Install the OS and Program Files on the SSD, and all your "data" on the HDD. "Data" could be your libraries like My Documents, Download, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.

As for a SSD suggestion:

Intel X25-M 80GB
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
OCZ Agility 2 60GB

Check the read/write perfomance of these. Yes, Intels writes are slower, but once the OS is installed, reads are what really matters.

As for a data/meda drive:

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA II
Seagate 7200.12 1TB SATA II

Sorry I didn't give any links or prices, I don't what's out there in Canada (i.e Newegg.ca?)

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Yes ive been looking at newegg.ca

and motherboard is listed, its Asus Maximus III forumla (P55)

and running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

reason i wanted something that was 100gbs or more because im currently using my 74gb raptor for the same purpose. And i find myself not having enough room on main drive. I usually have like 3 games installed at the same time on my main drive which leaves me with very little room.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Best prices in Canada our usually Ncix.com with DirectCanada price matches. Ncix service is wicked awesome, reason i said to price match from Direct Canada.

I'd recommend OCZ fro best price/performance. The Agility series is pretty sweet for the price. If you want a little more try the vertex series. Or faster still you go back to the Intel SSDs. They have a 160gb model that's freaking fast.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

thanks ill check out those sites

Should see some sales on the 100->128 gig 2nd generation SSDs. While these drives are slower than the "Newer" models. Real life differences may not be worth the premim cost. Benchmarks are like - close only counts in hangernades (SP) and horseshoes. The 80/160 gig Intel G2's might come down in price and/or be on sale as the newer models with the SF controllers perform better than Intel.

If looking for the best performance, get one with the SF controller. The OCZ C300 is probably the tops, but that is using SATA 6 (the Vortex-2 on sata 3 is very close. The Intel, while still great, is runing 3rd and dropping as others are adapting the SF controller, believe Patriot just added a new line.

Solution