Sign in with
Your question

5850 overclock unstable after updating drivers?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2010 11:54:53 AM

Hello,

Back in April 12, 2010, I bought a Sapphire Radeon 5850. This card had a very good cooler (compared to the stock one). So, I decided to overclock it form its stock clocks of 725/1000. After a series of experiments, I found 850/1150 to be the best spot where it was rock solid. I was using Catalyst 10.4s then. Load temps were 84 @ Furmark/1920x1080/Max. I played Crysis a LOT and never had a problem with it even after a few hours of gaming (load temps 76-77, thats normal as the ambient is 35-44). I now use 10.7s and a did not play Crysis in between as I was very busy for the past few months. Yesterday, I run Crysis, apply the overclock and BOOM... VPU recovery.... I backed down to 830/1150 and Crysis ran for a few more minutes. At stock, it stays normal but the framerate is low :( 

Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis Wars, Metro 2033 ... all of them WERE stable a few months ago, but no longer is, they show the same problem. The game would freeze after a minute, stay like that for 10 secs, a sky-blue/ deep green screen would be shown and the driver would throw a VPU recovery... Even a lowered overclock shows the same problem.

My questions are =>

1. Is it just the driver that causes my stable overclock to become unstable?

2. Can my hardware lose the overclocking potential over time (aaahhhh, just 3 months....)?

Please note that I did not overclock it very often. Just when playing Crysis and that lasted two weeks. I did not have to overclock to play other games as they would already be capped at 60fps. Temp is not a problem as even before crashing the temps dont go over 75 any more.

Any help would be appreciated.
July 29, 2010 11:57:10 AM

Clean out all the dust from your card.
m
l
July 29, 2010 11:58:46 AM

I would roll back to Catlyst 10.4 drivers to see if it's just the drivers causing the problem
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2010 12:06:47 PM

Will clean tomorrow @ Computerrock1

Uninstalled/Driversweeped/installed 10.5, problem still exists. For some reason I cannot find my 10.4 anywhere in my harddrive, but it WAS OK with 10.5s... @ needsumhelplol

I still have my 2 questions unanswered, gentlemen....
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:09:59 PM

Yes drivers can cause system to become unstable on an otherwise stable overclock.
Yes it can, but not normally in that short of time. This normally only occurs when you have a OC that's harmfull for your card.
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:14:48 PM

But this OC is not. It was rock solid. It also is in Heaven 2.0, it ran for 15 mins after I started this thread, not even a single artifact. But not in Crysis series or Metro. I am running Furmark now to see if that causes anything...
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:37:28 PM

Well, done Furmark testing with the following settings =>

Stability testing/Xtreme burning mode/Displacement mapping/Post FX @ 1920x1080/8x MSAA.

Time = 10 minutes each

Results : 86C max @ 850/1150
82C @ 725/1000

No artifacts or any sign of instability. Heaven 2.0 also didn't show any artifacts.

If Furmark certifies it as OK then why the hell would Crysis or Metro dare to show instabilities?

Any ideas?
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:20:12 PM

Perhaps, with the change of drivers, the settings changed and the detail level increased?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2010 4:01:55 PM

rollback to the 10.4's, problem resolved. When a new driver is not working for you the first thing you do is rollback to the most stable driver you had previously. Don't complicate yourself =)

I'm using the 10.4's right now and have no complaints, last night I played BC2 & Warhead @ 1000/1300 for about 3 hours strait and had 0 lock-ups.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 4:44:22 AM

^+1 10.4 runs stable on my oc'd 5850 i tried 10.5 and had problems.
So i'll stick with what works.
m
l
July 30, 2010 1:14:54 PM

Computerrock1 said:
Clean out all the dust from your card.

I disassembled the case, cleaned every component and assembled them back again. Problem still exists. It just made the case look sexier :kaola: 

needsumhelplol said:
I would roll back to Catlyst 10.4 drivers to see if it's just the drivers causing the problem

OvrClkr said:
rollback to the 10.4's, problem resolved. When a new driver is not working for you the first thing you do is rollback to the most stable driver you had previously. Don't complicate yourself =)

I'm using the 10.4's right now and have no complaints, last night I played BC2 & Warhead @ 1000/1300 for about 3 hours strait and had 0 lock-ups.

I too was happy with the 10.4s. Today, I uninstalled 10.6, driversweeped and rolled back to 10.4 but the problem did not go away! :( 

I'm doomed? Is the overclocking potential lost or what?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 2:34:30 PM

proton_chain said:
I disassembled the case, cleaned every component and assembled them back again. Problem still exists. It just made the case look sexier :kaola: 

I too was happy with the 10.4s. Today, I uninstalled 10.6, driversweeped and rolled back to 10.4 but the problem did not go away! :( 

I'm doomed? Is the overclocking potential lost or what?

If you are running windows 7 do a system "restore" to the date when you had the 10.4's installed.
m
l
July 30, 2010 2:58:41 PM

OvrClkr said:
If you are running windows 7 do a system "restore" to the date when you had the 10.4's installed.

How the f-ing hell is Windows gonna keep that change tracked after all these months? I don't use those crappy features anyway. I use Norton Ghost to make drive images and restore the whole local drive when needed. Works better than any antivirus for security, any uninstaller for uninstallation. I always make an image before making any major change to my system so that I can always sleep in peace at night. But I don't have that old backup of April anymore. The only workaround might be installing fresh Windows 7 and testing 10.4s then reverting to current setup. That way, an answer can be found. But thats the only thing I hate to do as I will have to waste 2 hours. So, can you theorize any solution? :cry: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2010 3:30:09 PM

proton_chain said:
How the f-ing hell is Windows gonna keep that change tracked after all these months? I don't use those crappy features anyway. I use Norton Ghost to make drive images and restore the whole local drive when needed. Works better than any antivirus for security, any uninstaller for uninstallation. I always make an image before making any major change to my system so that I can always sleep in peace at night. But I don't have that old backup of April anymore. The only workaround might be installing fresh Windows 7 and testing 10.4s then reverting to current setup. That way, an answer can be found. But thats the only thing I hate to do as I will have to waste 2 hours. So, can you theorize any solution? :cry: 

I was just giving you an option that works fine for me. I can't even remember the last time I had to re-format due to a driver issue.

If you have an image then just re-install Windows and get done with it =)
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:12:49 PM

Dude try this.

Download catalyst 1.04 if you don't still have it
Extract the files by double clicking on the icon
Navigate to ''C:\PlaceWhereYouExtractedTheFiles\config
Open InstallManager.cfg with a text editor
Change the line ''ShowUpdate=false'' so it reads ''ShowUpdate=true'' (without quotes)
Save the File
Now run setup.exe and select ''Update'' when prompted

Might not help but it's worth a try.
m
l
July 31, 2010 12:41:49 AM

OvrClkr said:
I was just giving you an option that works fine for me. I can't even remember the last time I had to re-format due to a driver issue.

If you have an image then just re-install Windows and get done with it =)

Thats easy to say, but not so easy to do. It will result in the misuse of 1 week to get things right. Install 300+ programs... register... make them understand you are the same f-ing user and activate things, remember and restore all preferences, modify registry settings to make windows act like you want... bla bla bla... My worst nightmare. I am thinking of sticking with it as 10.3s and 10.4s had degraded performance. I can get same performance in Metro and Dirt 2 without overclocking, with the only exception of Crysis. But that, still, can be ignored as 31fps is pretty playable. Thanks for the suicidal tip anyways :kaola: 

needsumhelplol said:
Dude try this.

Download catalyst 1.04 if you don't still have it
Extract the files by double clicking on the icon
Navigate to ''C:\PlaceWhereYouExtractedTheFiles\config
Open InstallManager.cfg with a text editor
Change the line ''ShowUpdate=false'' so it reads ''ShowUpdate=true'' (without quotes)
Save the File
Now run setup.exe and select ''Update'' when prompted

Might not help but it's worth a try.

I do NOT need to update when I have completely wiped out every single trace of ATI driver and installed fresh ones. Is it possible that hardwares get degraded in performance when used for a few months? CPU/RAM/GPU any example will do. I don't think I kept this card at overclocked speed more than 20 hrs in these months. So... what can I do next?

m
l
July 31, 2010 2:00:39 AM

proton_chain said:
I do NOT need to update when I have completely wiped out every single trace of ATI driver and installed fresh ones. Is it possible that hardwares get degraded in performance when used for a few months? CPU/RAM/GPU any example will do. I don't think I kept this card at overclocked speed more than 20 hrs in these months. So... what can I do next?

o.O it was just a suggestion... Driver Sweeper doesn't ALWAYS work...

On the hardware side of things... I would take it up with the retailer, assuming it's still under warranty, as it sounds like the card could have been faulty when you got it (unless you really went OTT with your OC)

m
l
July 31, 2010 7:29:43 AM

needsumhelplol said:
o.O it was just a suggestion... Driver Sweeper doesn't ALWAYS work...

On the hardware side of things... I would take it up with the retailer, assuming it's still under warranty, as it sounds like the card could have been faulty when you got it (unless you really went OTT with your OC)

This is the replaced product. I bought an XFX 5850 Black Edition that was stock overclocked and had stock cooler. It had limits of 800/1125. This Sapphire one has custom cooler, runs at ATI rated speed and has 850/1150 limit. It still is rock solid except for Crysis and Metro 2033. Don't see any point of changing it twice for just 2 games whereas every other app certifies it as stable. Thanks anyway. I was just asking if hardware degradation was a possible cause.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2010 5:55:27 PM

proton_chain said:
Thats easy to say, but not so easy to do. It will result in the misuse of 1 week to get things right. Install 300+ programs... register... make them understand you are the same f-ing user and activate things, remember and restore all preferences, modify registry settings to make windows act like you want... bla bla bla... My worst nightmare. I am thinking of sticking with it as 10.3s and 10.4s had degraded performance. I can get same performance in Metro and Dirt 2 without overclocking, with the only exception of Crysis. But that, still, can be ignored as 31fps is pretty playable. Thanks for the suicidal tip anyways :kaola

that's in your case, in my case I don't have to worry about anything because I have no programs or apps that have been recently installed other than ATI drivers and Windows Updates. If you download and install programs on a daily basis then no, of course it would be a bad idea just like you pointed out.

Hopefully by now you have already re-formated and everything is back to normal.. ;) 

m
l
August 1, 2010 8:03:51 AM

OvrClkr said:
that's in your case, in my case I don't have to worry about anything because I have no programs or apps that have been recently installed other than ATI drivers and Windows Updates. If you download and install programs on a daily basis then no, of course it would be a bad idea just like you pointed out.

Hopefully by now you have already re-formated and everything is back to normal.. ;) 

Glad you understood my point. No, I didn't reformat everything. I decided to just let it go, at least for a few months. Will test on different OS to see if my current OS setup is freaked out, which most probably is. Metro cannot be replayed, but Crysis is, and Crysis 2 is on its way which most probably will be more stable than this "prototype cryengine 2". Looking forward to throwing out Crysis and picking up Crysis 2.... But I need a very good reason to waste one week. For example, if Windows 7 SP1 brings significant improvements or I need to flash my BIOS to get my PC much more stable or.... then I can reconsider a "reformat".

Thanks for all your cordial participation guys, much appreciated.
m
l
!