Sign in with
Your question

How much would you give a family member to assemble your build?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems

How much would you give?

Total: 22 votes (3 blank votes)

• $0-5
  • 22 %
  • $6-10
  • 6 %
  • $11-20
  • 6 %
  • $21-30
  • 16 %
  • $31-40
  • 6 %
  • $41-50
  • 27 %
  • $51-60
  • 6 %
  • $61-70
  • 0 %
  • $71-80
  • 0 %
  • $80-
  • 16 %
January 27, 2009 7:01:59 PM

Assuming you want to compensate them in some way, what is an appropriate amount?

edit: It's for an Uncle who my relation is 6/10 with on the closeness scale.

More about : give family member assemble build

January 27, 2009 7:26:32 PM

Depends how closely are they related? Son? Cousin? Related by blood? The closer the relationship the lower the amount. Take them out to a nice dinner? Buy them a gift? Normally on a $500 system a company takes in about $50, or about 10% so anything less than 10% is acceptable. Nothing if immediate family in my opinion. Do you ask for compensation for helping them move furniture?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2009 8:24:27 PM

What kind of support will you expect from them?

If some part dies next week, who will do the paperwork and pay the postage?

Will you expect them to do overclocking and stability tests? How about installing Windows and finding/installing drivers for all the parts that need them?

Frankly, there are so many variables that any number you'll get will be pointless. Sorry...

I've seen posters on this forum who offered to assemble builds and even do bit of OCing for $150. That's for complete strangers, of course. For a relative I suspect they'd charge less.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2009 8:29:39 PM

You could ask your uncle to TEACH you how to build. You do it yourself, and ask questions, while he watches. You provide pizza and the beer.

You'd learn useful things, have more fun, and move the relationship to 7/10 :) 

Edit: let him apply the thermal paste. The rest is really not that bad...
January 27, 2009 9:04:51 PM

aevm said:
You could ask your uncle to TEACH you how to build. You do it yourself, and ask questions, while he watches. You provide pizza and the beer.

You'd learn useful things, have more fun, and move the relationship to 7/10 :) 

Edit: let him apply the thermal paste. The rest is really not that bad...

Great idea! Thanks
January 28, 2009 10:08:31 AM

Unless it's Uncle Diddles...then you might want to keep it at 2/10 :pfff: 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2009 1:36:20 PM

My usual fee is a bottle of Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, or Johnny Walker (black label). I am the only tech savvy member of my family (my mom tried to use the mouse as a foot pedal at first, just as a hint to their ineptitude).
January 28, 2009 8:47:50 PM

How many Beers does it take to assemble a PC and what do you call that thing on the motherboard that smokes and looks like pepperoni?
January 28, 2009 9:45:27 PM

I made a few computers for my relatives. I don't expect to pay them for my dinner when I visit, nor pay my mum when she used to iron my shirts, so basically I find it nice to give something back to the family for free.
January 28, 2009 10:30:52 PM

My buddy does it all the time for family members and friends and never charges a thing, he just loves to build computers. But I'd say try to pay him like $20 or so and he probably won't take it if he's anything like my uncle, but defiantley offer him a beer or something. if he's anything like my uncle he'll be all over that. As long as you don't ask too much of him i'm sure he'll be glad to do it just for the enjoyment.
January 29, 2009 12:17:35 AM

Well, a taxi cab driver asked me a similar question one day
on our ride to Fry's, and this was my answer:

4 hours to assemble the hardware
+
4 DAYS to install and test all the software and databases

These times do NOT include the time required to
research and confirm compatibility of all the components.

So, a lot depends on the amount of preparation that
went into the system(s) you want to build, and
the level of expertise that family member brings
to the task.

I would recommend turning it into a bit of memorabilia
-- by filming the entire project. Years from now,
you'll both be laughing at how obsolete, slow and
ridiculously expensive this system was!! :) 

"You mean, Dad, you were actually using SPINNING
PLATTERS? That is SOOOO archaic [substitute other
teenage euphemism here] !!"

When I tell people that a graphics monitor was
$50,000 in 1977, and that 1 Megabyte of RAM
was $40,000 in 1979, they look at me as if
I just jumped off a Pony Express horse!

WHOA there, Nellie! GIDDY UP, HYA!!

MRFS
January 29, 2009 12:22:43 AM

How many Beers does it take to assemble a PC?

1 K(eg)

and what do you call that thing on the motherboard that smokes and looks like pepperoni?

Intel Heatsink

MRFS
January 29, 2009 12:28:31 AM

I help friends/family all the time and I prefer not to get money. I would rather get some help at other times (wash my car?) or get some beer/booze and some good home-made food. As a geeky computer guy I don't like to cook or clean.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2009 1:02:44 PM

I love the idea about filming the whole thing. If you can find a third person to handle the camcorder, of course.
January 29, 2009 6:50:45 PM

I build pc's for friends, neighbors, and girlfriends. They pay for components and software. I normally don't ask for anything. Sometimes people reciprocate and sometimes I get lucky with the ladies.

I do not build pc's for relatives. You wouldn't either if you had relatives like mine. Luckily they live very very far away.
!