I almost cried!

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

When I saw the neighborhood intro with my newly installed video card
upgrade - there's mirrored reflections in the water, the trees actually look
3D, and there is no more choppy movement. It looked totally different.

Inside the houses the Sims look and move so much better, like what you think
animation should look like.

The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI Express).

I can finally play this game!!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

SeaShel wrote:
> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI Express).

How much GRAM does it have? What did you have before? And what are your
other specs?

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> SeaShel wrote:
>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI
>> Express).
>
> How much GRAM does it have? What did you have before? And what are
> your other specs?

Is G for graphics? The video RAM is 128MB. I recently got a new computer,
with integrated video that I thought could handle The Sims, but it would be
so choppy and after about 10-15 minutes the game would crash due to "display
driver error". After much research, looking up new drivers, etc., I came to
the conclusion that I needed to update the video. Computer specs are:

CPU 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 front bus
RAM 512 dual
HD 160 GB 7200 rpm serial ATA
cd/dvd RW double layer
7 usb ports
8 media reader
IEEE port
LCD 17" flat panel monitor

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

SeaShel wrote:
> Will Bradshaw wrote:
>> SeaShel wrote:
>>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI
>>> Express).
>>
>> How much GRAM does it have? What did you have before? And what are
>> your other specs?
>
> Is G for graphics? The video RAM is 128MB. I recently got a new
> computer, with integrated video that I thought could handle The Sims,

I forgot to say that the integrated video had 128MB of memory, but it was
borrowed from the system's resources. The new one's got its own fan!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

I know how you feel *hugz* You do realise that the addiction only gets worse
from here on in don't you?

;')

--
MM
This has been an useless statement bought to you by the woman who once

Madame Mim wrote:
> I know how you feel *hugz* You do realise that the addiction only
> gets worse from here on in don't you?

Oh yeah, I know, I've got a 6+GB folder from my Sims 1 game...

:)

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

rico

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in

> I know how you feel *hugz* You do realise that the addiction only gets
> worse from here on in don't you?
>
> ;')

Not necessarily.
Some people play it 3 times and completely lose interest.

rico

> Will Bradshaw wrote:
>> SeaShel wrote:
>>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI
>>> Express).
>>
>> How much GRAM does it have? What did you have before? And what are
>> your other specs?
>
> Is G for graphics? The video RAM is 128MB. I recently got a new
> computer, with integrated video that I thought could handle The Sims,
> but it would be so choppy and after about 10-15 minutes the game would
> crash due to "display driver error". After much research, looking up
> new drivers, etc., I came to the conclusion that I needed to update the
> video. Computer specs are:
>
> CPU 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 front bus
> RAM 512 dual
> HD 160 GB 7200 rpm serial ATA
> cd/dvd RW double layer
> 7 usb ports
> 8 media reader
> IEEE port
> LCD 17" flat panel monitor
>
> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

Sweet.
You ought to see what it looks like on a P4 3.60 with 1 GB ram, ATI Radeon
X800LT PCIX w/ 258 DRAM and a 21 inch Sony LCD monitor with DVI input
though.
Them sims literally pop out through the screen and touch ya !

Rico wrote:

> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in
>

> Sweet.
> You ought to see what it looks like on a P4 3.60 with 1 GB ram, ATI Radeon
> X800LT PCIX w/ 258 DRAM and a 21 inch Sony LCD monitor with DVI input
> though.
> Them sims literally pop out through the screen and touch ya !

Don't give me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.

-georg

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

I simply meant that if a person is addicted before the graphics only enhance
the experience.

--
MM
This has been a useless statement bought to you by the same person who once

> I simply meant that if a person is addicted before the graphics only
> enhance the experience.

Don't mind me - I'm a person of no consequence, fit to be ignored at best.
Ask genie, she'll tell ya.

rico

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in

> Rico wrote:
>
>> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in
>>

>> Sweet.
>> You ought to see what it looks like on a P4 3.60 with 1 GB ram, ATI
>> Radeon X800LT PCIX w/ 258 DRAM and a 21 inch Sony LCD monitor with DVI
>> input though.
>> Them sims literally pop out through the screen and touch ya !
>
> Don't give me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.
>
> -georg

georg georg georg Why you treat me this waayyyyyyyy

Rico wrote:

> georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in
>

>>Rico wrote:
>>

>>>"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in
>>>

>>>Sweet.
>>>You ought to see what it looks like on a P4 3.60 with 1 GB ram, ATI
>>>Radeon X800LT PCIX w/ 258 DRAM and a 21 inch Sony LCD monitor with DVI
>>>input though.
>>>Them sims literally pop out through the screen and touch ya !
>>
>>Don't give me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.
>>
>>-georg
>>

> georg georg georg Why you treat me this waayyyyyyyy

Giggle.

-georg

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:17:38 -0900, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
wrote:

> When I saw the neighborhood intro with my newly installed video card
> upgrade - there's mirrored reflections in the water, the trees actually
> look
> 3D, and there is no more choppy movement. It looked totally different.
>
> Inside the houses the Sims look and move so much better, like what you
> think
> animation should look like.
>
> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI Express).

How did you know what kind of card to buy? Is it written somewhere on the
PC when you have "PCI Express" card slots? I would hate to buy a new card
and then find that it didn't work with my computer.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:17:38 -0900, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When I saw the neighborhood intro with my newly installed video card
>> upgrade - there's mirrored reflections in the water, the trees
>> actually look
>> 3D, and there is no more choppy movement. It looked totally
>> different. Inside the houses the Sims look and move so much better, like
>> what
>> you think
>> animation should look like.
>>
>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI
>> Express).
>
> How did you know what kind of card to buy? Is it written somewhere
> on the PC when you have "PCI Express" card slots? I would hate to buy
> a new card and then find that it didn't work with my computer.

Well, my computer is pretty new (just got it in January) and so I had called
Gateway and upgraded through them. I really, really like their customer
service. The guy let me know how my motherboard was configured. So if you
don't have access to a tech support, then try to get to something online
about your motherboard. And I'm sure someone else here can tell you how to
find it out another way. :)

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

rico

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in news:eek:psmnx6obub52ai9
@news.online.no:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:17:38 -0900, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When I saw the neighborhood intro with my newly installed video card
>> upgrade - there's mirrored reflections in the water, the trees actually
>> look
>> 3D, and there is no more choppy movement. It looked totally different.
>>
>> Inside the houses the Sims look and move so much better, like what you
>> think
>> animation should look like.
>>
>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI Express).
>
> How did you know what kind of card to buy? Is it written somewhere on the
> PC when you have "PCI Express" card slots? I would hate to buy a new card
> and then find that it didn't work with my computer.

Basically, if your computer isn't very recent - And I'm talking 5 months old
at the most - It likely won't be PCI express.
You could tell for sure by taking a peep inside.
PCI XP slots are quite a bit shorter than the regular PCI slots ... And
computers equipped with PCI XP still have the regular PCI slots, so its
pretty easy to - As long as you don't get them confused with AGP ports, which
are also shorter.
Also, taking a look inside the control panel/system/system devices will have
PCI XP listed if you have it.

Rico wrote:
> Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in news:eek:psmnx6obub52ai9
> @news.online.no:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:17:38 -0900, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When I saw the neighborhood intro with my newly installed video card
>>> upgrade - there's mirrored reflections in the water, the trees
>>> actually look
>>> 3D, and there is no more choppy movement. It looked totally
>>> different.
>>>
>>> Inside the houses the Sims look and move so much better, like what
>>> you think
>>> animation should look like.
>>>
>>> The details: I spent $135.95 on an Nvidia Ge Force 6600 (PCI
>>> Express).
>>
>> How did you know what kind of card to buy? Is it written somewhere
>> on the PC when you have "PCI Express" card slots? I would hate to
>> buy a new card and then find that it didn't work with my computer.
>>

> Basically, if your computer isn't very recent - And I'm talking 5
> months old at the most - It likely won't be PCI express.
> You could tell for sure by taking a peep inside.
> PCI XP slots are quite a bit shorter than the regular PCI slots ...
> And computers equipped with PCI XP still have the regular PCI slots,
> so its pretty easy to - As long as you don't get them confused with
> AGP ports, which are also shorter.
> Also, taking a look inside the control panel/system/system devices
> will have PCI XP listed if you have it.

Yo, is the term PCI that's used for graphics the same acronym meaning as
used for PCI as in the slots inside the computer? For instance, my box has
the PCI Express slot for graphics (I imagine some people have the regular
PCI for graphics before Express came out - is that the same?) and two PCI
slots for other things like sound card, network card, etc. Thanks.

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

rico

> Rico wrote:
>> Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in news:eek:psmnx6obub52ai9
>> @news.online.no:

>>> How did you know what kind of card to buy? Is it written somewhere
>>> on the PC when you have "PCI Express" card slots? I would hate to
>>> buy a new card and then find that it didn't work with my computer.
>>>

>> Basically, if your computer isn't very recent - And I'm talking 5
>> months old at the most - It likely won't be PCI express.
>> You could tell for sure by taking a peep inside.
>> PCI XP slots are quite a bit shorter than the regular PCI slots ...
>> And computers equipped with PCI XP still have the regular PCI slots,
>> so its pretty easy to - As long as you don't get them confused with
>> AGP ports, which are also shorter.
>> Also, taking a look inside the control panel/system/system devices
>> will have PCI XP listed if you have it.
>
> Yo, is the term PCI that's used for graphics the same acronym meaning as
> used for PCI as in the slots inside the computer? For instance, my box
> has the PCI Express slot for graphics (I imagine some people have the
> regular PCI for graphics before Express came out - is that the same?)
> and two PCI slots for other things like sound card, network card, etc.
> Thanks.
>
> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)

Yeah both PCI's (Peripheral Component Interconnect) mean the same thing,
and Express is just a souped up version.
You could indeed use a plain PCI slot for a video card in a computer
equipped with Xpress - Which wouldn't make any sense, since video cards are
the only reason for xpress.
They are already working on PCI XP x 2 or something like that, a still more
advanced version of PCI.

Rico wrote:
> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in
>
>> Rico wrote:
>>> Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in news:eek:psmnx6obub52ai9
>>> @news.online.no:

>>> Basically, if your computer isn't very recent - And I'm talking 5
>>> months old at the most - It likely won't be PCI express.
>>> You could tell for sure by taking a peep inside.
>>> PCI XP slots are quite a bit shorter than the regular PCI slots ...
>>> And computers equipped with PCI XP still have the regular PCI slots,
>>> so its pretty easy to - As long as you don't get them confused with
>>> AGP ports, which are also shorter.
>>> Also, taking a look inside the control panel/system/system devices
>>> will have PCI XP listed if you have it.
>>
>> Yo, is the term PCI that's used for graphics the same acronym
>> meaning as used for PCI as in the slots inside the computer? For
>> instance, my box has the PCI Express slot for graphics (I imagine
>> some people have the regular PCI for graphics before Express came
>> out - is that the same?) and two PCI slots for other things like
>> sound card, network card, etc. Thanks.
>>
>> ---
>> Michelle
>> (SeaShel)
>>
> Yeah both PCI's (Peripheral Component Interconnect) mean the same
> thing, and Express is just a souped up version.
> You could indeed use a plain PCI slot for a video card in a computer
> equipped with Xpress - Which wouldn't make any sense, since video
> cards are the only reason for xpress.
> They are already working on PCI XP x 2 or something like that, a
> still more advanced version of PCI.

I learned a few things when I installed the video card. It has its own fan
because it gets so hot, almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.
Anyway, I put it in, and it was right up against the sound card (also a new
upgrade, SB Audigy 2). Rebooted, everything worked, so I closed up the
case. Then the sounds starts cutting out. So I open it up again, and it
appears that the metal from the underside of the sound card is touching the
now super-hot video card, and probably was "shorting" it out or something
like that. It also left little to no room for the fan's air intake. Then I
noticed that the installed network card is also in a PCI slot and is half
the height of the sound card. I simply switched the sound card and network
card's places and now everything's fine. I was very proud of myself for
having figured out that solution. :)

I've heard about video cards burning out; will the fan be enough? Time will
tell, and in Alaska, it's not like I can turn the room heat down *too* much.
lol

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

The fan will be enough - especially if the standard case fans in your PC
continue to work properly. Keep an ear out for a change in noise coming
from your PC. It is possible that fans can get gunked up and stop. The
answer to this is to remove the card from the case and the fan from the
card - then peel back the label (or remove the holding clamp) and put a few
drops of sewing machine oil on the shaft, spin the fan manually and then
blot any excess oil, put it all back an hey presto, good as new.

And you may never even have to do that much. My last video card is going
strong in my fathers machine without ever having to be oiled.

MM

Madame Mim wrote:
> The fan will be enough - especially if the standard case fans in your
> PC continue to work properly. Keep an ear out for a change in noise
> coming from your PC. It is possible that fans can get gunked up and
> stop. The answer to this is to remove the card from the case and the
> fan from the card - then peel back the label (or remove the holding
> clamp) and put a few drops of sewing machine oil on the shaft, spin
> the fan manually and then blot any excess oil, put it all back an hey
> presto, good as new.
>
> And you may never even have to do that much. My last video card is
> going strong in my fathers machine without ever having to be oiled.
>
> MM

Cool, heh, heh.
B^)

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

> I learned a few things when I installed the video card. It has its own fan
> because it gets so hot, almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.
> Anyway, I put it in, and it was right up against the sound card (also a new
> upgrade, SB Audigy 2). Rebooted, everything worked, so I closed up the
> case. Then the sounds starts cutting out. So I open it up again, and it
> appears that the metal from the underside of the sound card is touching the
> now super-hot video card, and probably was "shorting" it out or something
> like that. It also left little to no room for the fan's air intake. Then I
> noticed that the installed network card is also in a PCI slot and is half
> the height of the sound card. I simply switched the sound card and network
> card's places and now everything's fine. I was very proud of myself for
> having figured out that solution. :)
>
> I've heard about video cards burning out; will the fan be enough? Time will
> tell, and in Alaska, it's not like I can turn the room heat down *too* much.
> lol

It's fairly common for video cards to get very hot. My graphics card
(which is still relatively old) is significantly more powerful than the
486 processor I used to have, which is the last that I could get away
with just having a heatsink on.

Heat will be a problem for any electrical component. Prolonged exposure
to heat will cause the capacitors (amongst other things) to degrade,
shortening the lifespan.

Some people (especially ones who wish to overclock their components)
will use an aftermarket cooling system, such as a larger heatsink, a
more powerful fan, or even water cooling or a peltier cooler to help
keep the temperatures down.

In any case, it is advisable to help the cooling process by any means
available. As you've discovered, removing any direct obstructions to the
airflow around the graphics card (or anything else that gets hot) will
help. You should also try to keep the fans free of dust. I use an old
toothbrush for that every now and then.

You should also consider airflow through your case. Most configurations
will have the cold air drawn in at the front of the case, near the
bottom, over the hard drives to keep them cool (you don't want those to
fail, even if you keep regular backups), and up through the case, past
the video card and processor, and then exhausting as hot air through the
power supply.

To help the air flow smoothly, you should try to remove obstructions
within the case. Ribbon cables for IDE devices can be particularly bad
when it comes to airflow. Some people use rounded cables instead, and
some just tidy the cables to keep them out of the way. Some people would
also consider adding extra case fans, starting with an inlet at the
front to encourage air into the case, and then following up with extra
exhaust fans at the back. How many you feel you need will depend on the
case design and the heat generated by the components inside. Something
like Motherboard Monitor 5 might help you monitor temperatures, if your
motherboard supports it. It's worth noting that larger fans don't need
to rotate as fast to move the same amount of air as a smaller fan, so
they generate less noise. The noise with a larger fan is also of a lower
pitch, which makes it less irritating.

Oh, and putting your computer in a cold place can help, although it
probably won't like damp. Likewise, it helps if you put it in a
well-ventilated area - it doesn't help cooling that much if you can get
loads of air through the case when it's all recycled hot air.

If you do find yourself interested in keeping your computer cool,
overclocking newsgroups and forums and places like [H]ardOCP can be
useful places to look. People who are very serious about overclocking
are very serious about temperatures, and have tried things us mortals
can only imagine about.

HT(incredibly long and rambling post)H

CK

rico

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in

> Rico wrote:
>> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in

>>> Yo, is the term PCI that's used for graphics the same acronym
>>> meaning as used for PCI as in the slots inside the computer? For
>>> instance, my box has the PCI Express slot for graphics (I imagine
>>> some people have the regular PCI for graphics before Express came
>>> out - is that the same?) and two PCI slots for other things like
>>> sound card, network card, etc. Thanks.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Michelle
>>> (SeaShel)
>>>
>> Yeah both PCI's (Peripheral Component Interconnect) mean the same
>> thing, and Express is just a souped up version.
>> You could indeed use a plain PCI slot for a video card in a computer
>> equipped with Xpress - Which wouldn't make any sense, since video
>> cards are the only reason for xpress.
>> They are already working on PCI XP x 2 or something like that, a
>> still more advanced version of PCI.
>
> I learned a few things when I installed the video card. It has its own
> fan because it gets so hot, almost too hot to touch for more than a few
> seconds. Anyway, I put it in, and it was right up against the sound card
> (also a new upgrade, SB Audigy 2). Rebooted, everything worked, so I
> closed up the case. Then the sounds starts cutting out. So I open it
> up again, and it appears that the metal from the underside of the sound
> card is touching the now super-hot video card, and probably was
> "shorting" it out or something like that.

Yikes - Lucky you didn't fry somethin.

> It also left little to no
> room for the fan's air intake. Then I noticed that the installed
> network card is also in a PCI slot and is half the height of the sound
> card. I simply switched the sound card and network card's places and
> now everything's fine. I was very proud of myself for having figured out
> that solution. :)

Nice feeling when things work as planned huh ?
I resolved a similiar problem with my last computer.
Theres always a way ! .. Usually always, that is.
I was going to get the newest Nvidia card with my computer, but found out
that it flat out will block a PCI slot and theres nothing that you can do
about it, so I went with ATI, which I am more than satisfied with anyhow.

> I've heard about video cards burning out; will the fan be enough? Time
> will tell, and in Alaska, it's not like I can turn the room heat down
> *too* much. lol
>
> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)

Looks like ya got some good advice from others.
You always want things as cool as possible with any electric component, but
you gotta accept the fact that these things run hot in the best of
circumstances.
As long as you don't see nuthin smokin', smell anything resembling plastic
burning, or have any obstructions blocking the vents, you should be Ok.

> free the fish to reply

Lol - I'm tempted to do so just so I can set the cute little fishy free

Rico wrote:
> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in
>
>> Rico wrote:
>>> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in

>>> Yeah both PCI's (Peripheral Component Interconnect) mean the same
>>> thing, and Express is just a souped up version.
>>> You could indeed use a plain PCI slot for a video card in a computer
>>> equipped with Xpress - Which wouldn't make any sense, since video
>>> cards are the only reason for xpress.
>>> They are already working on PCI XP x 2 or something like that, a
>>> still more advanced version of PCI.
>>
>> I learned a few things when I installed the video card. It has its
>> own fan because it gets so hot, almost too hot to touch for more
>> than a few seconds. Anyway, I put it in, and it was right up against
>> the sound card (also a new upgrade, SB Audigy 2). Rebooted,
>> everything worked, so I closed up the case. Then the sounds starts
>> cutting out. So I open it up again, and it appears that the metal
>> from the underside of the sound card is touching the now super-hot
>> video card, and probably was "shorting" it out or something like
>> that.
>
> Yikes - Lucky you didn't fry somethin.

And with a new computer - I would have just *freaked*!

>> It also left little to no
>> room for the fan's air intake. Then I noticed that the installed
>> network card is also in a PCI slot and is half the height of the
>> sound card. I simply switched the sound card and network card's
>> places and now everything's fine. I was very proud of myself for
>> having figured out that solution. :)
>
> Nice feeling when things work as planned huh ?
> I resolved a similiar problem with my last computer.
> Theres always a way ! .. Usually always, that is.
> I was going to get the newest Nvidia card with my computer, but found
> out that it flat out will block a PCI slot and theres nothing that
> you can do about it, so I went with ATI, which I am more than
> satisfied with anyhow.

I could have gotten an ATI...it was a truly arbitrary decision. Guess one
should check over the notherboard before one goes buyin' stuff for it! :)

>> I've heard about video cards burning out; will the fan be enough?
>> Time will tell, and in Alaska, it's not like I can turn the room
>> heat down *too* much. lol
>>
>> ---
>> Michelle
>> (SeaShel)
>
> Looks like ya got some good advice from others.
> You always want things as cool as possible with any electric
> component, but you gotta accept the fact that these things run hot in
> the best of circumstances.
> As long as you don't see nuthin smokin', smell anything resembling
> plastic burning, or have any obstructions blocking the vents, you
> should be Ok.
>

>> free the fish to reply
>>
> Lol - I'm tempted to do so just so I can set the cute little fishy
> free

It would be fun to have a little animation for that. Then again it would
seem an awful lot like those "zap the roach" spam ads, heh, heh.

--
---
Michelle

free the fish to reply