Can Microsoft Reader listen to WMA audio?

July 24, 2004 3:03:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

Although Microsoft Reader is primarily a text reader, one can also listen to
Audible.com audio content on it. In fact, it's features for that are better
than using the Audible Reader for PPC.

In encoding an audio book (from CD) myself, I found that the WMA 9 voice
codec is very good for compressing spoken word at a low bit rate. In fact, I
got acceptable quality spoken voice at the 2nd lowest setting, 5kbps.

Of course, one can play back the resulting file on the PPC with Windows
Media Player for PPC. (I have an IPAQ 2210, running WM2003.) But, as with
the Audible Player, that has some drawbacks for playing audio books. Namely,
no bookmark function (I sure hope they have that in the next version, would
be great for movies as well.), no auto-resume, nada. Therefore, if you stop
listening to a book, to resume at the same place later, unless WMP keeps
running (paused) all that time, it would be hard to find the place you left
off, unless you memorize the minutes and seconds elapsed, at the place you
left off.

Therefore, since Microsoft Reader will play back Audible.com audio books
nicely (including a bookmark function, etc.), I wonder if there is any way
to do that with Microsoft's own audio format, WMA?

Anyone know?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 4:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

probably not an option since WMP is a standard part of the pocketpc os

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
July 25, 2004 4:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

message news:o v8At3mcEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> probably not an option since WMP is a standard part of the pocketpc os
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

But as I said, WMP-PPC is not very good for audio books.

I sure hope they add a bookmark function and a resume function for the next
version, couldn't be too complicated to program. Would be important for
movies as well.

A better playlist creating function would certainly be helpful for music
listening.

In WM2003SE have there been any improvements in WMP, over the plain WM2003?

Why I wondered about Reader, is that it can hear AudioBooks in the Audible
format. So one thinks it might also hear Microsoft's own format, WMA. I
don't think it can open WMA files just as they are, they certainly do not
appear in the Reader library. (Although I didn't try putting them in the
same directory as the other selections to the reader's library. I guess I
could try that.) I wondered if there might be some way to mark an WMA as a
Reader file, or something like that. I have read somewhere about how to
convert a text file or Word file into a MS Reader E-book, so I wondered if
there was a way to do that with audio, converting a WMA file into a MS
Reader audio book?
July 25, 2004 11:21:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

I agree and have not found any "bookmarkable" mp3 player to date... in
fact, seem to remember that the early Audible player didn't do bookmarks
either.

You bring up a good point as to the absence of any good audiobook player
and the inability to generate.

Just downloaded Audible manager 4, looked and it does have the ability
to import mp3 and wma files, so the question would be if the current
pocketpc audible player has the ability to play mp3 and wma files using
bookmarks?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 2, 2004 4:00:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

Audible Manager is just for the desktop, and AFAIK the Audible player only
plays Audible content. I'm not sure what Audible Manager on the desktop does
with importing WMA and MP3 files, perhaps just to "manage them", rather
useless.

The Audible Player on the PPC (unless a new one just came out) does not have
a bookmark function in any case. That's why I find it better to play Audible
content on the PPC with Microsoft Reader for PPC, which will bookmark the
Audible files.

It looks like there is a new PPC player that will play WMA-voice files, and
should soon have a bookmark function.

It's probably the best media player now for PPC--a new one, that has
improved dramatically in the short time it's been out, with more features
than any others, and absolutely free.

The program has the strange name of Betaplayer.

Go to:

www.corecodec.com,

and follow the links to Betaplayer.

The newest "stable release" is 0.4. It does not play WMA yet. But--the
author is coming out with new beta versions (or alpha?) every couple days,
that he calls "unstable versions". (I guess to contrast with "stable
versions". But don't let the name scare you off. They are quite stable. As
of the version of 7/25 WMA and WMV is supported. As of the 7/28 version WMA
files that were encoded with the WMA9 voice codec (which I mentioned as
being good for audio book encoding) is supported.

It doesn't yet have a bookmark function, but the author writes that that is
on his list of features to add. I think it does currently have auto resume,
where on re-opening the last file that was played, it will start at the
place where you left off, if you choose that in configuration.

A lot of features in it better than WMP, including support for OGM and
Matroska as well as AVI and now WMV containers, too many things to mention
here. Try it if interested. (I probably should have put that info in a
separate thread. Too late now. ;-)

message news:o NW%23%23ZqcEHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...