Who's best to purchase Direct TV from?

I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent dealer or
straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and they seem to be
about the same.

I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
Direct TV, is this true?
12 answers Last reply
More about purchase direct from
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Jaco wrote:

    > I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
    > purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent dealer or
    > straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and they seem to be
    > about the same.
    >
    > I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
    > Direct TV, is this true?

    Ask as many CUSTOMERS who have it as you can, and ask who installed
    theirs, and if they were happy with the install, service, price, etc.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:02:50 GMT, KF/AKA AH#49 <AH#49@your.net> wrote:

    >Jaco wrote:
    >>
    >> I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
    >> purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent dealer or
    >> straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and they seem to be
    >> about the same.
    >>
    >> I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
    >> Direct TV, is this true?
    >
    >Ask as many CUSTOMERS who have it as you can, and ask who installed
    >theirs, and if they were happy with the install, service, price, etc.
    Because I wanted to do my own install, I bought
    the receiver from Best Buy. I maybe wrong on this, but it
    seems the installers want to activate the system at the time
    of installation, and a credit card is needed for this.
    I prefer the invoice system rather than hassle with a credit
    card.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "Irwell

    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:02:50 GMT, KF/AKA AH#49 <AH#49@your.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Jaco wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
    > >> purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent dealer or
    > >> straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and they seem to be
    > >> about the same.
    > >>
    > >> I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
    > >> Direct TV, is this true?
    > >
    > >Ask as many CUSTOMERS who have it as you can, and ask who installed
    > >theirs, and if they were happy with the install, service, price, etc.

    > Because I wanted to do my own install, I bought
    > the receiver from Best Buy.

    And are you going to also install the dish, aim it, run the cable, make
    sure it works, etc.?

    > I maybe wrong on this, but it
    > seems the installers want to activate the system at the time
    > of installation, and a credit card is needed for this.
    > I prefer the invoice system rather than hassle with a credit
    > card.

    Sounds like you have "CREDIT PROBLEMS!" :<

    IF and when you install your own system "successfully" by your self, you
    STILL have to activate it...with a credit card!

    Of course you still have to provide card information if you do your own
    set up, install and etc!
    Otherwise, how are you going to pay for it?
    Mail a cashier's check and wait another few weeks?

    It don't woik dat way!

    And if you don't have "THEM" do it, you have no warranty!

    "THEY" do it for free, AND you do NOT pay any extra, as those
    INSTALLATION COSTS are paid to the installer via YOUR MONTHLY FEES!
    THAT'S how the intsaller gets paid!

    You will NOT get a discount on your monthly DTV bill, just because you
    installed it!

    So why do it yerself, when OTHERES are obligated to do it....for FREE?

    IF you install it yourself, yer on yer own!

    And, you still need a credit card to activate it!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    I have had DirecTV since 1998,and have never needed a credit card at any
    stage of the installation process including activation.Of course,I had
    an active C-Band system at the time (still do) and merely waited until
    the check cleared until it was activated.I get a statement in the mail
    and pay monthly.Of course,I am probably more patient than most who have
    to have their signal on RIGHT NOW!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:12:49 GMT, KF/AKA AH#49 <AH#49@your.net> wrote:

    >"Irwell

    >> >Ask as many CUSTOMERS who have it as you can, and ask who installed
    >> >theirs, and if they were happy with the install, service, price, etc.
    >
    >> Because I wanted to do my own install, I bought
    >> the receiver from Best Buy.
    >
    >And are you going to also install the dish, aim it, run the cable, make
    >sure it works, etc.?

    >You sure are a little goldmine of mis-information.
    Installed my first 12 foot Bud in1983, since then have installed
    two Dish, 1 Directv, 1 BEV systems, plus have replaced my
    dishes, receivers as the technology advanced.
    >> I maybe wrong on this, but it
    >> seems the installers want to activate the system at the time
    >> of installation, and a credit card is needed for this.
    >> I prefer the invoice system rather than hassle with a credit
    >> card.
    >

    >Sounds like you have "CREDIT PROBLEMS!" :<
    No credit card problems at all, just don't trust weasel dealers, or
    program providers with that information.
    >IF and when you install your own system "successfully" by your self, you
    >STILL have to activate it...with a credit card!
    Wrong again, both Dish, Directv, NPS and Canamsatellites will all
    take checks, have a monthly invoice after the initial 2 months payment
    by check.
    >Of course you still have to provide card information if you do your own
    >set up, install and etc!
    No you don't.
    >Otherwise, how are you going to pay for it?
    > Mail a cashier's check and wait another few weeks?
    No, they activate over the phone, if the check does arrive or
    clear, guess what?they de-activate.
    > It don't woik dat way!
    Yes it does.

    >And if you don't have "THEM" do it, you have no warranty!
    Yes you do, the receiver has the manufacturers warranty.

    You really don't have a clue.

    >"THEY" do it for free, AND you do NOT pay any extra, as those
    >INSTALLATION COSTS are paid to the installer via YOUR MONTHLY FEES!
    >THAT'S how the intsaller gets paid!
    >
    >You will NOT get a discount on your monthly DTV bill, just because you
    >installed it!

    About the only thing you have got right.

    > So why do it yerself, when OTHERES are obligated to do it....for FREE?
    >
    >IF you install it yourself, yer on yer own!
    >
    >And, you still need a credit card to activate it!
    NO YOU DON,T.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Consider DISH -- and buy it from DISH -- if that is a choice.

    I had DirecTV for years, but they lost me over a technicality
    and then I discovered that they had been (over) charging me
    for equipment that DISH includes free, and since the monthly
    service rates are nearly the same and the DISH equipment is
    actually far more feature complete it is really no contest.

    Only "plus" anyone has given me for DirecTV is "better sports"
    which was NOT an issue for me.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    SAC 441 wrote:

    > I have had DirecTV since 1998,and have never needed a credit card at any
    > stage of the installation process including activation.Of course,I had
    > an active C-Band system at the time (still do) and merely waited until
    > the check cleared until it was activated.

    Heh!
    BINGO!
    That is what I also said/mentioned!
    YOU had to have it installed by yourself, if you indeed have the system.

    But again, that's what most normal people do....use their credit cards
    for INSTANT activation!
    As an installer, I/they simply can't wait that long!

    THere is no significant "discount" for installing it yourself, really.
    You still have to pay the fees!

    No installer in their right mind would take a check, as EVERY customer
    that I have ever encountered wants to see it all work before I pack up
    my tools and ladder!
    And like I also mentioned, when you do your own install, you get NO
    WARRANTY or free service!

    > I get a statement in the mail
    > and pay monthly.Of course,I am probably more patient than most who have
    > to have their signal on RIGHT NOW!

    Indeed!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    You'll see from some of the comments that you can encounter some
    pretty weird installers. If you feel comfortable installing it
    yourself, do so. In my last house I pulled the cables (RG6 &
    telephone) through the attic down inside the walls and terminated them
    into modular jacks. You wont find that kind of installation "free"
    with the system purchase. The installers wrap the cable around your
    house and drill a hole thru your outside wall. Thats all they are
    required to do. I installed my DISH Network dish and aligned it with
    no fancy tools. If you feel comfortable doing the above then go for
    it.

    In this house I again pulled the cables and terminated them right
    where I wanted the dish (Directv). All the installer did was mount &
    alighn the dish & activate the receivers on the phone.

    Last weekend I pulled a couple more cables and activated my TIVOS. No
    big deal, no installer really necessary. It depends on your level of
    competence, patience and cleverness.

    Watch out, Jaco, for some installers that seem waco!

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:15:13 -0700, "Jaco" <vikeazremove@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
    >purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent dealer or
    >straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and they seem to be
    >about the same.
    >
    >I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
    >Direct TV, is this true?

  9. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > You'll see from some of the comments that you can encounter some
    > pretty weird installers. If you feel comfortable installing it
    > yourself, do so. In my last house I pulled the cables (RG6 &
    > telephone) through the attic down inside the walls and terminated them
    > into modular jacks. You wont find that kind of installation "free"

    We certainly did with both Dish and previously with DirecTV
    installers.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Jaco spewed forth with this commentary:

    > I know this will probably attract spammers, but who am I better off
    > purchasing a Direct TV system from, a third party or independent
    > dealer or straight from Direct TV. I've been looking on-line and
    > they seem to be about the same.
    >
    > I would think I would get the best price and service going straight to
    > Direct TV, is this true?

    you can get it from me :) Ok, enough of that... without knowing if you are
    local to me, I would suggest using DTV for the purchase and installation.
    As I am an employee of an "Authorized DIRECTV dealer" I can say that our
    local installations prefer that we are local... if you're getting equipment
    shipped, then use DTV... they will have to help you fix it if you have
    problems.

    --
    RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    RegNitto *USWest SC

    Herb Martin spewed forth with this commentary:

    > Consider DISH -- and buy it from DISH -- if that is a choice.
    >
    > I had DirecTV for years, but they lost me over a technicality
    > and then I discovered that they had been (over) charging me
    > for equipment that DISH includes free, and since the monthly
    > service rates are nearly the same and the DISH equipment is
    > actually far more feature complete it is really no contest.
    >
    > Only "plus" anyone has given me for DirecTV is "better sports"
    > which was NOT an issue for me.

    I don't see how DTV could have been overcharging you unless you had some
    equipment in the past and then "attempted" to discontinue. As far as I
    know, DTV charges the basic charge and then adds a "mirroring fee" for the
    additional receivers listed on the account.

    --
    RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    RegNitto *USWest SC
  12. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    They charged me for the equipment and the when
    it needed replacing they charged me for the replacement
    even though their monthly frees amount to the same
    price as I could get FAR MORE NEW equipment for
    "free" from DISH.

    Now, nothing is really free, but DISH is either giving it
    free (relative to DirecTV) or DISH is charging (for more)
    overall, even thought the pure montly rate looks even.

    And if something breaks (we had a bad receiver) they
    COME TO US and replace it free (since it belongs
    to them technically.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    "RegNitto" <regnittoSTOP@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Herb Martin spewed forth with this commentary:
    >
    > > Consider DISH -- and buy it from DISH -- if that is a choice.
    > >
    > > I had DirecTV for years, but they lost me over a technicality
    > > and then I discovered that they had been (over) charging me
    > > for equipment that DISH includes free, and since the monthly
    > > service rates are nearly the same and the DISH equipment is
    > > actually far more feature complete it is really no contest.
    > >
    > > Only "plus" anyone has given me for DirecTV is "better sports"
    > > which was NOT an issue for me.
    >
    > I don't see how DTV could have been overcharging you unless you had some
    > equipment in the past and then "attempted" to discontinue. As far as I
    > know, DTV charges the basic charge and then adds a "mirroring fee" for the
    > additional receivers listed on the account.
    >
    > --
    > RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    > RegNitto *USWest SC

Satellite TV TV Home Theatre