Sign in with
Your question

Signs of defective hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2010 11:06:35 PM

I recently received my Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, but I'm pretty sure it's DOA. I've already started the RMA process.

When I hooked it up to my system to format, windows 7 disk management failed to format it so I tried it on an XP machine and it was the same thing.
I burned a diagniostics utility from Samsung and it failed the diagnostics test... and could not perform a low level format. I also tried a complete zero-write on the drive(with DBAN), but that errored-out too.
This morning I ran CHKDSK /R (repair) and that errored with this result.

So these all clearly indicate that I have a bad drive, right? (bad sectors? scratches?) It's my first brand new drive and so I've never had to do any of that stuff I did.

Is this just bad luck or does something like this happen a lot? Is Samsung a bad brand?

Thanks.
a b G Storage
August 3, 2010 3:03:33 AM

It indicates a bad HDD, you should return it for replacement. I've been messing with HDDs for 20+ years, sometimes they go bad. I have just RMAed my 2nd WD HDD in all those years (of some 30-odd I've had).

Samsung HDDs have a good reputation, so you just got a bad one.
m
l
August 3, 2010 5:51:01 AM

Thanks threefrog07

Do you have any advice on insuring that RMA's go as hassle-free as possible?
I know I need to package everything it came with and RMA # on the box displayed prominently.

Can I include a typed note to the RMA workers describing my problem and what I have tried? That way, they won't just plug it in and say, "oh the drive shows up on disk manager. It's all good. Deny RMA." Would such a note get completely ignored?
m
l
!