Sign in with
Your question

EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW 132-YW-E179-A1 with "a few bent pins". Help?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 24, 2009 7:54:43 AM

Hey, just got a EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW 132-YW-E179-A1 Motherboard with "a few bent pins" for $50 dollars. I haven't gotten to look at it yet, but if it is what is says [light damage], can they be self-straightened and maybe fit into the cpu? I read the pins would straighten if put with a cpu.

If not self-straightened [I saw a post here - Abit said they'd take the motherboard and fix it for free if they didn't have to replace anything - told to pay for shipping], would EVGA take it and fix it?

If something had to be replaced, how much would it cost? Soldering to be done?

Thanks a lot.
June 24, 2009 3:37:15 PM

Erm... Don't, just don't...

For each bent pin the chance of failure grows. I wouldn't risk the $50. I've tried fixing a few bent pins before and never successfully, modern pins are just to fragile. Also the cost and risks of replacing the pins(due to soldering and unsoldering) on the board would make it cheaper to just buy a new board. Part of the reason they just swap out computer parts instead of fixing them.

That being said I do have a 780i running with an entire pin missing so if you really want to risk it, go for it.
June 24, 2009 3:42:00 PM

I heard you can straighten bent pins with the tip of a led pencil. Just slide the pin in the pencil as if it were led and bent it back to normal. Good luck. Also before you do anything call EVGA and asked them if they would fix it.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2009 3:42:51 PM

Depends on how bent the pins are. Make sure they are straight enough to all go in the CPU for if you flatten them more because they miss the hole (heh) you could out right break them. Use the tip of a mechanical pencil or something to try and straighten them out. Do your best when inserting the CPU to align them so that they go in properly, then pray. Hopefully everything will turn out OK :D .
June 24, 2009 9:00:42 PM

PS, read a credit card that just barely fit is good. I'll update in a few days when I get it.
June 26, 2009 9:56:17 PM

Hey. I got the board in. I'm gonna try to put a cpu on when I get mine in - got an e8400 and a pentium d 920 on the way.

First, I called EVGA. They said I couldn't even send it in for repairs without a warranty.

Does anyone know of a way to get a cpu socket?

That's the worst case scenario - or selling it as is.

It looks good. I think I'm gonna be able to get a cpu on it, Lord willing.

Any info or help? Anything, bring it.
June 27, 2009 2:46:10 AM

Does anyone know if the sockets of close nvidia boards are interchangeable? For instance, 680i and the 790i
June 28, 2009 12:17:45 AM

err no, need specail tools for that :\ anyways you could bend em back but tehy are gold plated so the metal is alot softer than it was so be VERY carefull
!