Can I use a Dish 500 dish with a DirecTV reciever?

I aquired a Dish 500 dish from a friend that I was hoping I could use
with an second DirecTV reciever that I have. I am using this for
tailgating.

I tried setting it up this past weekend, and was able to get a signal
but only getting the spanish channels? Also, I noticed that I was
only getting a signal on the higher number transponders (20 - 32),
though the signal was pretty high - 97 was the best.

Can I use the DISH 500 dish with the DirecTV reciever? Is it
something within the actual dish hardware or am I pointing the dish in
the wrong direction.

Thanks

Chris Coburn
4 answers Last reply
More about dish dish directv reciever
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Chris Coburn spewed forth with this commentary:

    > I aquired a Dish 500 dish from a friend that I was hoping I could use
    > with an second DirecTV reciever that I have. I am using this for
    > tailgating.
    >
    > I tried setting it up this past weekend, and was able to get a signal
    > but only getting the spanish channels? Also, I noticed that I was
    > only getting a signal on the higher number transponders (20 - 32),
    > though the signal was pretty high - 97 was the best.
    >
    > Can I use the DISH 500 dish with the DirecTV reciever? Is it
    > something within the actual dish hardware or am I pointing the dish in
    > the wrong direction.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris Coburn

    you can... you have to make sure what LNB you are connected to and then
    figure out how to align the dish...

    DTV main: 101 degrees West. this is the one you want to point at.
    DTV 2nd: 119 degrees West
    DTV 3rd: 110 degrees West
    Dishnet main: 119 degrees West

    I think there are some others for dishnet, but i'm not sure what they are...
    62.5 maybe?

    --
    RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    RegNitto *USWest SC

    The dish that I have only has two LNB's one for the 110 sat the other
    for the 119 sat. I have tell my receiver to use the 101 sat, but I
    must have it pointed in the wrong direction because this doesn't make
    any difference. I currently have DTV at my home and used the position
    of that dish to get my initial alignment.

    Any thoughts?

    "RegNitto" <regnittoSTOP@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2mnt5gFos33kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Chris Coburn spewed forth with this commentary:
    >
    > > I aquired a Dish 500 dish from a friend that I was hoping I could use
    > > with an second DirecTV reciever that I have. I am using this for
    > > tailgating.
    > >
    > > I tried setting it up this past weekend, and was able to get a signal
    > > but only getting the spanish channels? Also, I noticed that I was
    > > only getting a signal on the higher number transponders (20 - 32),
    > > though the signal was pretty high - 97 was the best.
    > >
    > > Can I use the DISH 500 dish with the DirecTV reciever? Is it
    > > something within the actual dish hardware or am I pointing the dish in
    > > the wrong direction.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Chris Coburn
    >
    > you can... you have to make sure what LNB you are connected to and then
    > figure out how to align the dish...
    >
    > DTV main: 101 degrees West. this is the one you want to point at.
    > DTV 2nd: 119 degrees West
    > DTV 3rd: 110 degrees West
    > Dishnet main: 119 degrees West
    >
    > I think there are some others for dishnet, but i'm not sure what they are...
    > 62.5 maybe?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Chris Coburn spewed forth with this commentary:

    > The dish that I have only has two LNB's one for the 110 sat the other
    > for the 119 sat. I have tell my receiver to use the 101 sat, but I
    > must have it pointed in the wrong direction because this doesn't make
    > any difference. I currently have DTV at my home and used the position
    > of that dish to get my initial alignment.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I think that the receiver's alignment system is based on a single LNB or a
    Triple LNB. Because your dish is a dual LNB, it is possible that the
    receiver is going to give you incorrect Az/El positioning. Depending on
    which one of the LNB's your connected to, you'll need to turn the dish to
    the left or right of the actual receiver reading...

    IMO, you'll be better of shopping ebay for a standard, single LNB dish
    (either Dishnet or DTV)...

    Do you still have the Sw-21 switch connected?

    --
    RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    RegNitto *USWest SC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    > Chris Coburn spewed forth with this commentary:
    >
    > > The dish that I have only has two LNB's one for the 110 sat the other
    > > for the 119 sat. I have tell my receiver to use the 101 sat, but I
    > > must have it pointed in the wrong direction because this doesn't make
    > > any difference. I currently have DTV at my home and used the position
    > > of that dish to get my initial alignment.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > I think that the receiver's alignment system is based on a single LNB or a
    > Triple LNB. Because your dish is a dual LNB, it is possible that the
    > receiver is going to give you incorrect Az/El positioning. Depending on
    > which one of the LNB's your connected to, you'll need to turn the dish to
    > the left or right of the actual receiver reading...
    >
    > IMO, you'll be better of shopping ebay for a standard, single LNB dish
    > (either Dishnet or DTV)...
    >
    > Do you still have the Sw-21 switch connected?

    I just fished a single LNB Dishnet out of the trash....I really don't need
    the dish I just grabbed it
    for all the cable & splitters that were attached Maybe we can work something
    out....
    Cleveland area....

    Bonehead

Satellite TV Home Theatre