My diy Gigabyte X58 UD5 chipset watercooler

ceefna

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Hi, have a look at what I have crafted from 3mm/6mm copper plate and 8mm gas pipe. made using only a hack saw and a wood router! Not tried it yed but flows great and should be a massive improvement over stock cooler. Wanted something that included VRM coolers in one because i think the looped pipes between blocks can look a bit messy.
please let me know what you think of my creation

ceefna

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
hi i also wanted to make a home made cooling system, yours looks the most impressive that iv seen so far, what did you use? and how exactly did you make it?

ceefna

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Thanks for the comments, shouldn't have any leaks have immersed it in water and had the compressor hooked up to in at 80psi and all fine. I started out making it by downloading a picture of the mobo then using Adobe photoshop adjusted the scale of the picture so that the mounting holes for the VRM's were 66mm then i knew that was the correct size to build it from.

Didn't want to strip the motherboard out of my pc yet! I then made a jig by drilling a piece of mdf with all the mounting holes(marked them through the mobo picture) and fitted pegs to the wood so I could just cut the copper pieces to the correct size then place them on the jig and just pipe in between the blocks taking in to account clearence for caps etc. The southbridge works on a heatpipe setup. I used a router to cut channels in the base of the blocks.

The bases ot the north/southbridge blocks were made from 6mm copper plate, the vrm's are made from 3 pieces of 3mm flat copper bar, the sides of the vrm blocks are made from one strip of bar that I cut 45 degree mitres into the back and bent into the rectangle shape. Should have taken some pictures as i was building! Was a pig to solder, I suppose if it doesn't work and overheats it will be back in pieces and i will be able to post an exploded view!!!!!

Would I make another? NO WAY, not without proper tools anyway.

Ceefna

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
One question, I might be dumb to ask this, why there's only one pipe going to the southbridge?
Isn't it 2 way? one in and one out for watercooling

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

The water won't go though that one, i guess it's just solid copper for heat...